Scheduled LAVH Weight Gain / Loss Post Op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weight Gain / Loss Post Op Weight Gain / Loss Post Op

Unread 02-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Weight Gain / Loss Post Op

I only know two people personally who have had hysterectomies, and I am curious as to what the experiences are of others.

I have read where weight gain is an issue for many, while for others they lose weight. Also apparently it is has to do with appetite after surgery and during recovery periods.

I also recognize that each person's pain threshold is different and that probably takes account for things also.

But what are the norms for after surgery... do you gain more than you lose? Is it a 50/50 type of situation?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Re: Weight Gain / Loss Post Op

I think it depends on the person... Personally, I am down 15 lbs from my surgery date but I have been working hard at it. I originally lost 7 lbs in the week before the surgery due to, I am assuming, stress; lost another 7 lbs immediately after the surgery; gained one set of 7 lbs back during recovery; and then lost 15 over time.

I hope this helps.
Unread 02-17-2012, 11:46 PM

Hi there

I gained 14 pounds just from surgery, but lost it the first 3 days afterwards. It was all the fluid they put into me. I lost 8 pounds the first 2 weeks and have maintained that during my 3rd week. I hope over the next 3 weeks I will continue to lose more. Drink tons of water.

Good luck to you.

Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2012, 09:08 PM

It really does vary from person to person. I lost a few pounds, and the cyst they removed weighed over a pound! Sometimes the problem is that you cannot exercise like you did before your surgery for a while after your surgery. Walking is about the best exercise - be sure to do that as it is good for your bowels and abdomen as well.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 02-18-2012, 10:50 PM

I've lost 8 pounds since my surgery almost 7 weeks ago. Part is due to decrease in appetite immediately following the surgery. I knew that was going to happen after the surgery, so I used that opportunity to stop some bad habits...mainly having a glass of wine every evening and a Starbucks latte nearly every day. I also started eating more protein and cut way back on sugar. Hoping to keep it up when I start back to work next week. Plan to start walking again also.

I don't think weight gain is inevitable. I known women who had loss huge amounts of weight post menopause or post hysterectomy. It generally requires watching one's caloric intake very carefully as well as regular exercise.
Unread 02-19-2012, 06:45 AM

Ive lost 12 since..
Unread 02-19-2012, 06:51 AM

I am a having my surgery Friday and I have gained 6 pounds due to STRESS EATING! When I worry, I eat. Hoping to have zero appetite after surgery!
Unread 02-19-2012, 08:20 AM

i found it kinda hard to get up and go to refrigerator after surgery so i think thats why i've lost 10 lbs. after surgery.but whoever posted about IV fluids is right.you will be bloated for about 2 weeks or so due to iv solutions.
when i could get up and eat and prepare meals i didnt eat a whole lot.i mainly ate protein-based foods cause of the healing factors.i took a multi-vitamin every other day cause they tend to make me hungry.
i am not exercise person,i find it completely boring and KUDOS to all the women that have a good exercise program surgery-post.but i run legs off at work and it works for me.
i think also it depends on whether surgeon takes ovaries too.my mom after surgery didnt have any energy at all for about 6 months(took ovaries) Where i had a lot of energy post surgery.
i also asked dr. if surgery would make me fat.he said it's really in his opinion how active you are after surgery.he also thought leaving ovaries had tons to do w/ post surgery energy level.
but once again its really up to your body's metabolism.
good luck to you.
Unread 02-19-2012, 08:48 AM

I am only 5 days out from surgery and am up 3-4 pounds. I am figuring it is due to inflammation, no BM and gas. I'm drinking a lot of water and didn't have much of an appetite for the first 3 days so hoping I will lose. My doctor told me not to do anything but little walks around the house for the first 2 weeks so exercise is out until at least the 28th when I go back and see him. Just wish I could POO!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register