Scheduled TVH Swelly belly | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-18-2012, 07:56 AM
Swelly belly

I'm curious if swelly belly is common with all the types of the surgeries. I'm not sure if it's because they fill you with air, if it's from just being swollen or gas. I'm definitely a newbie! I'm having tvh along with cystocele and rectocele repair....that's a mouthful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Re: Swelly belly

This is my own unscientific opinion... if you are the type of person who tend to swell when your tissues are injured (think of when you had your wisdom teeth out), then you will probably end up with swelly belly. If swelling is not normally an issue, then you will probably experience minor swelling like I did. For the longest time, I couldn't decide whether I had fat on my tummy or it was swelling because the whole thing was so minor. It turned out that I did have some very minor swelling but nothing like I read on HysterSisters.

You also need to know that if you are having some kind of laparoscopic surgery, then the first few days after surgery, some of the swelling will be due to the gas they use. That usually goes away in the following week.

Remember that I am not a doctor and these are simply my thoughts.
Unread 02-18-2012, 09:23 AM

I had a tvh on feb 13th I have minor swelly belly. Thought it would be worse I can tell by feeling pubic region it's puffy. Good luck with your surgery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2012, 12:41 PM

I had TVH in July and had enormous swelly belly. I was swollen up to my bra band and easily looked 5 months pregnant. At 7 months post op, I still have a very swollen belly everyday. It's frustrating and uncomfortable. Some ladies report swelly belly for 19 months, some never get it at all.
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:07 PM

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy on December 27. My stomach and my sides were very swollen. My clothes were tight and I thought it would never go down. I would wake up in the morning and it would not be swollen but as I got up and walked around it swelled up.In about two weeks it was all gone. Just like that, it went away. My doctor said that your body has to absorb the fluid.
Best wishes to you
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:19 PM

I had a TAH BSO, and I had a swelly belly for a good 12 weeks post-op - I lived in sweats and old shorts during that time. After that it went down slowly, but could swell up again if I pushed to hard. At 9 months, I am back to pretty much normal - although sometimes can still get slight swelling.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 02-23-2012, 02:55 AM

I had TAH and my swelling has been very minimal, and tends to be at night after I've been moving around all day. In the morning when I wake up I look more or less normal. same goes for any soreness around my incision...worse at night.

--Pam
Unread 02-23-2012, 10:54 AM

I wonder if the dreaded Swelly Belly has anything to do with water retention? I've read that if you don't drink enough water your body stores it as if preparing for a drought. Therefore when you drink plenty your body actually removes the fluid. Found this in a general weight loss tip not necessarily after surgery.
I'd been drinking a ton since my TAH, and my Swelly Belly hasn't been that bad. Have been drinking less the last couple days (sick of peeing non-stop) and my belly is bigger than it was last week and I actually fell a lot more pressure or heaviness on it. Humm, will be doing my own research on this today and drink drink drink again & see if it's any better tomorrow.
Unread 02-23-2012, 12:41 PM

Humm not sure why my post was edited???? I still confused on how someone can have swelly belly for 7 months and 19 months due to surgery????? Doesn't sound encouraging my dr never said that could happen that long after surgery someone have any info on why this happens? Hope I get some info not get edited.
Unread 02-23-2012, 05:24 PM

Not sure why it happens but sometimes it does. For me personally, it's like my tissues are still traumatized. My doctors didn't prepare me for this.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register