Side sleeping | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Side sleeping Side sleeping

Unread 02-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Side sleeping

I am a side sleeper (turn onto my side after I fall asleep). I was curious how long it will be til I can sleep on my side again? Thanks! God bless!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Re: Side sleeping

I am also a side sleeper. I found I could sleep on my side right away (while still in the hospital) by putting a pillow between my knees. I later wished I had a body pillow but I made do without one. I did have to sleep a little on my back as I found I was never comfortable in one position for very long. But it hurt to lie flat on my back with my legs flat (pulled on my tummy) so I would put a pillow under my knees which would help. A heating pad helped tremendously too.
Unread 02-18-2012, 02:09 PM

I was a tummy sleeper before my surgery, so it was an adjustment having to lie on my back after surgery. Pillows were my saving grace! Definitely placing one beneath my knees helped tremendously -- it takes pressure off the lower back and midsection. I felt more comfortable and secure with a tummy pillow just sitting right on top of my tummy, too, even while lying down. I have heard great things about body pillows. I considered it, but they're pretty spendy.

I didn't even attempt to sleep on my side or tummy for a long time; I don't remember how long it took for it to feel okay in other positions.

Some get great relief with heating pads; I found more relief with ice packs or a cold compress.

Best,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2012, 02:14 PM

I'm fresh out of the hospital(yesterday). I can't sleep on my back, never have. I usually sleep on my side or stomach. For some reason, side sleeping is less comfortable than sleeping on my stomach. Even my discharge paperwork says it is okay and may be more comfortable to sleep on my stomach.
Unread 02-18-2012, 02:32 PM

It is strange, some people found they could sleep better on the left side, others on the right.

I found I could sleep on my left after a couple of weeks. What made it feel awkward was feeling my internal organs slosh to the side, or feeling lumpy.

What came easier for me was a rolled up soft towel under the swelly belly. Make sure there are no lumps in it or they seem like mountains
Unread 02-18-2012, 02:56 PM

Thank you ladies! All of you are such a help!
Unread 02-18-2012, 03:29 PM

I was always a side sleeper, but after my surgery, I found that my throat was very irritated by the anesthesia tube. I would cough at the drop of a hat. My lungs were irritated as well. I found I really needed to be sleeping on my back propped up in a reclining position, otherwise I would have a huge coughing spell (no fun with stitches). I have one of those "reading in bed" pillows with the arm rests. I've been sleeping reclining against that for the last 5 weeks. My lungs and throat had cleared up at about 2 1/2 weeks after surgery. But I continued to sleep in this new position because it seems easier to get in and out of bed when I'm sore and puts absolutely no pressure on the abdominal area which is healing/rearranging itself.
Unread 02-18-2012, 05:41 PM

It took me about a week to sleep on my side.. I keep a pillow inbetween my knees and one behind my back..
Unread 02-18-2012, 06:11 PM

During my first week post-op, I had one of those bedress pillows with the arms. I used a couple of smaller pillows to pad the right places so I could sleep on the incline, similar to being in a hospital bed. I might have been able to sleep on my back for part of the night, but it was too painful to change position or to get up in the morning, so this option worked great when I first got home from the castle.

I slept on my back for the next couple of weeks. Rolling onto my side to get up was a little scary because I am overweight and that, combined with swelly belly, made for a lot of discomfort whenever I was sideways.

By week 4 I could rest comfortably on my side with a soft pillow under my belly. Since then I've had lots more ease of movement and choice of position. (Sleeping on my stomach is my favorite and I've been able to do that since week 6.)

Whatever you try, have plenty of pillows handy so you can make whatever minor adjustments you need to be comfortable. Getting a good sleep is one of the best gifts we can give ourselves in recovery!
Unread 02-18-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn03301970 View Post
I am a side sleeper (turn onto my side after I fall asleep). I was curious how long it will be til I can sleep on my side again? Thanks! God bless!
I am a side sleeper as well -- my left side. I had no problems sleeping on my left side the very first night, in fact it was my preferred position for the first week and a half after surgery because to sleep any other way hurt. I took the advice of one of the sister posters and purchased a travel pillow from Target before surgery, I had planned to use it if I had trouble coughing as I remembered having that problem when I had a caesarean years ago. I was also going to use it on the car ride home. Instead I found the hospital pillows to be too big and uncomfortable ( even though I have king size pillows at home) and used the travel pillow as my only pillow under my head while lying on my side. I had the hospital bed just slightly inclined and slept pretty well between nurse check ins. Upon coming home I too like Phoenix used a bed rest with my king size pillows angled on the arms, they created just enough incline for me to get comfortable on my side.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register