hysterectomy, hormones, & migraines | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hysterectomy, hormones, & migraines hysterectomy, hormones, & migraines

Unread 02-18-2012, 03:22 PM
hysterectomy, hormones, & migraines

Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone here ever suffered from hormone related migraines pre-hysterectomy and if they improved afterwards? I have recently been offered hysterectomy as a treatment option by my dr for long painful periods (usually 20 days) painful ovulation and cystic ovaries. I've always had hormone problems and have been told my progesterone is chronicaly too low. I had to take progesterone and clomid several months to concieve my daughter because I didn't ovulate on my on for 8 months following the birth of my stillborn son. I am only 27 so I haven't decided whether or not I want this surgery. I have been suffering debilitating migraines for about four years which seem related to my menstrual cycle & have seen four diff drs trying to find a cause/prevention/cure to no avail. My dr couldn't answer on whether or not a hysterectomy would solve my migraine problem or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Re: hysterectomy, hormones, & migraines

There is actually another similar thread going called TAH & Migraines, you might want to check it out.

I posted on there. Here is the gist. If your migraines are related to your cycle you may see a decrease, but that depends on whether you keep your ovaries. If you keep your ovaries, you may have ongoing issues with migraines as you will still possibly ovulate.

I'm sorry for the heartache you have endured with the loss of your son and the struggle to have your daughter. You really seem uncertain of this surgery, Isuggest researching as much as possible any options your dr may not have suggested. (((HUGS)))

Wanted to add, that some of my migraines were hormone related. My dr started me on Verapamil, generic for Calan XR, within 2 weeks I noticed a change and then after my hyster a definite decrease. This drug is actually for high blood pressure(which I do not suffer from) and a lot of drs don't like to prescribe meds for what are called off label reasons. My dr had recently attended a seminar where it was discussed for migraines and thought I was a candidate. I'm glad she went!
Unread 02-18-2012, 04:32 PM

Sorry the thread is Migraines after TAH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2012, 04:52 PM

Thanks for your response. I actually tried a blood pressure medication in late 2009 early 2010 when I started getting dizzy and I actually fainted a couple times. Once I fainted at work and was taken by ambulance to the hospital where I had mri ect... that all came back normal. I didn't see a decrease in the migraines over a period over about four months so I stopped the blood pressure pills and waa laa... no more dizziness and fainting spells. I am currently taking 25 mg of topamax 4x daily and this has dropped my headache days down to about 8 to 10 a month right before or during my period. This is the first drug I've tried that's significantly decreased my migraines but I'm still suffering. I take zomig (triptan style drug like imitrex) which helps alot but I can only get 9 pills a month. Dr is suggesting I keep my right overy but said he will take everything if I insist. He previosly suggested ablation but then said that wasn't a good option bcs it would only help the bleeding and do nothing for the pelvic and ovulatory pain as I would continue to ovulate. He also has tried me on dif birth controls which did not work and I had to discontinue bcs it threw the migraine prob into overdrive. I know I am done having children so I am not having uncertanty in that department, I am just unsure about whether or not this surgery might make my crazy hormonal problems better or worse. And I don't know if I should follow his advise and keep an ovary or not. He says all my cysts have been on the left and my horrid ovulatory pain comes from the left, so take the left and keep the right. I kind of feel like if I am going to go under the knife might as well take it all and be done with it but I don't know. I guess that's why I'm here asking all these questions.
Unread 02-19-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3milla View Post
I take zomig (triptan style drug like imitrex) which helps alot but I can only get 9 pills a month. Dr is suggesting I keep my right overy but said he will take everything if I insist. He previosly suggested ablation but then said that wasn't a good option bcs it would only help the bleeding and do nothing for the pelvic and ovulatory pain as I would continue to ovulate. He also has tried me on dif birth controls which did not work and I had to discontinue bcs it threw the migraine prob into overdrive. I know I am done having children so I am not having uncertanty in that department, I am just unsure about whether or not this surgery might make my crazy hormonal problems better or worse. And I don't know if I should follow his advise and keep an ovary or not. He says all my cysts have been on the left and my horrid ovulatory pain comes from the left, so take the left and keep the right. I kind of feel like if I am going to go under the knife might as well take it all and be done with it but I don't know. I guess that's why I'm here asking all these questions.
I take Maxalt MLT once a migraine comes on, BEST med ever!! The first dr that gave it to me I wanted to kiss, lol. It is also a triptan group drug.

As far as the ovaries and cysts go, I have to say I am biased about getting rid of them. I have had cysts for over 20 years, the first few painful ones were right sided, but the majority were left, until I had that removed with my hyster. Now a year later, I sit in constant pain from a packed right ovary, waiting for March 12 to get here. I did try 3 cycles of BC, but no relief. Ask away. I'm glad to help or at least let you know you are not alone.
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:08 PM

Ohh ya I've tried maxalt that's the one that melts on your tongue right? I feel like I've tried em all do you know of there are any triptan style drugs that come in more than 9 a month? They are non narcotic and not considered a controlled substance so I don't understand why the scripts are so limited on these style drugs when they seem to be a "silver bullet" for us migraine sufferers. I asked my dr and his answer was that the insurance co thinks that a good physician would be able to keep his patient from having migraine more than 9 days a month with preventative medicine. Not sure how I feel about his answe cause he's not succeeding with me as I am often out of medicine before I'm eligble to refill. Enough on that rant...thank you so much for your input and kind response!
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:14 PM

Additionally I'm sorry to here about your right ovary! That is a big fear of mine about leaving one in. He said it "would be a piece of cake" to go in and get it if it ends up causing me problems later but... now we are talking about multiple surgeries. Bigger piece of cake for the dr and not for me...hope 3/12 brings you relief!
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:14 PM

Yes, it is the one that melts on your tongue. I can actually fill my script of 9 twice a month. I work for a retail pharmacy and one of the pharmacists said that it has to do with the way the brain reacts with the drug, that too much is not good. He was very specific about what happens but I don't remember 100 % and don't want to type the wrong thing and scare the mess out of you. I will ask him tomorrow night when I go to work and get back to ya. And no problem,we are here to help each other:O)
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:26 PM

Interesting, if I could fill mine twice I would have enough meds. I'm ususally 2 or 3 pills short what I need and go to the pharmacy a day or two early hoping the insurance won't deny it. And please don't scare the mess out of me, lol! I never use more than 2 in 24 hrs or more than the package describes so hopefully I won't have any bad brain side effects. All I can say is I <3 triptan because when I'm having an attack, NOTHING else works. Ugh I still have so many thoughts and options to weigh with this hyster decision...thanks again
Unread 06-04-2012, 08:13 AM
hysterectomy, hormones, & migraines

My doctor said the same thing. My headaches were mild but definitely getting worse every month. My ovaries were not removed. Haven't had a migraine since the hysterectomy!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register