BM Problems | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-18-2012, 02:27 PM
BM Problems

I know this sounds crazy but I will be three weeks post op TAH on Monday and have only had 1 good BM since.

I have always been extremely irregular. The month I moved in with my husband no BM at all and that was Sept 2010.

I am alternating laxative tabs and stool softeners every other day. I have glycerin suppositories but absolutely hate to use them. I think I am going to have no choice today though. It says on the package BM usually in 15 mins. to 1 hour and that never happens for me either... Usually 1 1/2 or 2 hours).

Doctor knows I am having this problem because I was just seen by him a week ago (have bronchitis).

I am hurting from the coughing and feel like I am going backwards in my recovery. I actually had my dh stop last night to get me a 6" ace wrap. It is loose and I am using it as a tummy binder. Oh my how it helped the pain from coughing already. Should have done that week 1 or researched ahead of time to get a tummy binder but I didn't know I was going to need a 6" incision for my surgery.

Any suggestions for having a BM? I am walking around and stuff to keep moving since I know that helps but it isn't helping either.

Any great suggestions would be so helpful. Any experiences?

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2012, 02:32 PM
Re: BM Problems

Sorry to hear your having problems. I lived on Miralax and never had that problem. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. I'm sure you will get some good suggestions from our sisters! Good luck!
Unread 02-18-2012, 02:34 PM

I am so sorry ur having these problems on top if ur recovery!! I am 11days post op and am taking 2-3 stool softeners daily (one with every meal....some days just one with b-fast and dinner), and drinking a smoothie each morning with Benefiber, and am drinking a capful of mirulax daily (mixed in oj). It's a LOT of stuff, but I've had no problems at all and I think that's why (I always tend to be constipated and was very proactive after surgery as constipation was my biggest fear!!). Most likely will stop the stool softeners within the next few days, and will continue the mirulax and Benefiber.....per docs orders. :-) I hope this helps you!!! Feel better soon!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2012, 02:34 PM

Miralax has worked great for me too, very gentle but effective pretty quickly. Are you also eating high fiber foods, prunes, etc? That might also help a lot. I hope you feel better soonest.
Unread 02-18-2012, 02:35 PM

Oh, and keep moving! Even if it's just a 10 minute walk around ur neighborhood! Light exercise helps.
Unread 02-18-2012, 02:58 PM

I urge you to see a gastroenterologist.
He/she specializes in the digestive tract.
I had the similar problems but not as bad.
I could not go #2 without laxatives.

I went to a gastro and he said to take:
One capful of Miralax, once a day.
Two teaspoons of Benefiber 2 times a day.
The above two items should be taken with a drink.

I even take two teaspoons of Bragg's Apple Cider vinegar for "insurance," in a glass of water.

The reason I want you to see a gastro is that maybe you might need to take your colonoscopy, especially if you are nearing or close to the age of 50.

Sometimes bowel problems are not good, but they can be the result of cancer.
Chances are you don't have it, but you never know. The medical experts want us to have colonoscopies for a reason.
I don't want you to ignore important ailments that could be trying to "tell" you something is wrong.

Good Luck.
Unread 02-18-2012, 06:27 PM

Post recovery I am definitely going to contact a gastro doc. This has just gone on too long. I even used the glycerin suppository today (2 hours ago) and still no major BM.

I am really trying to get up and move around as much as possible. I went for a little walk today and have been for the past few days. Even though they are just around the block.

I am thinking they are going to definitely do a colonoscopy even though I am only 38 because I have had this problem for so long and the last time I thought I had a cyst burst on my ovaries it turned out I was horribly constipated and that was what was causing the pain.
I will take all of your advice. I will try miralax and I have a container of metimucil for mixing with juice. I am adding a ton of fiberous fruits and veggies every day just to try and go. I eat a lot of apples and my grandmother swears on peas. My dh just said for me to use mineral oil but yukkkkkk!

Thanks so much sisters!
Unread 02-18-2012, 06:39 PM

Definitely make sure you are getting plenty of exercise(well within your current capabilites considering you just had surgery), drink lots of water(at least 8-8 ounce glasses per day), avoid too much dairy(you only need 2-3 servings per day) and eat plenty of fruits and veggies(3-4 servings of each per day). I also agree on getting yourself checked out by a gastroenterologist. I, too, suffer from constipation, but must admit not to your level and really haven't had an issue since my surgery. I certainly wish you the best of luck.
Unread 02-18-2012, 08:26 PM

Im having issues too! I was doing great before surgery, but now I just have nothing substantial. I am going to do the miralax and try the benifiber. Still think I am going to call the doctor Monday though.
Unread 02-19-2012, 06:02 AM

Beware of the mineral oil...,I had to use that before a colonoscopy for a pre-surgery "cleanse" and it had me rolling in pain....thought I was going to vomit. It didnt just clean me out, it nearly took my insides with it!!! Not exxagerating or joking - never been in so much pain in my life - thought I'd have to be hospitalized!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register