Question about vaginal pain after daVinci Hysterectomy. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about vaginal pain after daVinci Hysterectomy. Question about vaginal pain after daVinci Hysterectomy.

Unread 02-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Question about vaginal pain after daVinci Hysterectomy.

I am scheduled for a daVinci Hysterectomy on February 24th where as far as I know they will be removing everything. I was told that once the organs are detached, they will be removed through the vagina. I was wondering if this is true and if so what is the pain level if any in the vagina following surgery? I made the mistake of looking it up on YouTube and it looked very scary. Has anyone had this done and what were your pain levels after. I'm also curious what will happen with my hormones after surgery and how quickly I will notice a change. I am only 29 and was told I will be sent into medical menopause and will have to get on a hormone therapy plan but as with most medicines I know it's usually trial and error. Any advice on what I can expect with the vaginal issue as well as the hormone/menopause situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Re: Question about vaginal pain after daVinci Hysterectomy.

I had the same surgery on 1-10-12. I am 38 years old, and yes....into surgical menopause! I know the You Tube is very scary...I looked at it before my surgery, and should have not. I freaked out.

It will be over before you know it! Just remember that everyone is different, but here is mine. I woke up in the Recovery room with 0 pain! About 30 minutes later, I asked for something....pain went away fast. Came home 7 hours later. Took pain pills for a week and a half..keep up with those even when you feel better! The worst for me was the pressure in the vagina. Kinda felt like a tampon inserted wrong...it was from swelling...lasted about 5 days. Other than that, it was not a bad experience for me. I returned to work last week at: week 4 day 6....has been rough. I have started spotting again. I go to the doc Wednesday for my 6 week check. Usually, the doc will tell you no sex for 8 weeks. You will be fine. Here if you have more questions! Take care, and I will pray for you!
Unread 02-18-2012, 07:37 PM

Had Da Vinci on 1/31 and only had abdominal pain. No vaginal pain..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2012, 07:49 PM

Thank you ladies
Unread 02-18-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyn730 View Post
I am scheduled for a daVinci Hysterectomy on February 24th where as far as I know they will be removing everything. I was told that once the organs are detached, they will be removed through the vagina. I was wondering if this is true and if so what is the pain level if any in the vagina following surgery? I made the mistake of looking it up on YouTube and it looked very scary. Has anyone had this done and what were your pain levels after. I'm also curious what will happen with my hormones after surgery and how quickly I will notice a change. I am only 29 and was told I will be sent into medical menopause and will have to get on a hormone therapy plan but as with most medicines I know it's usually trial and error. Any advice on what I can expect with the vaginal issue as well as the hormone/menopause situation?

Had the Da Vinci 6 weeks ago and yes, they remove the uterus thru the vagina. You will not feel a thing and know no better because you are under when they do it, and when you wake up you most likely will still know no better. They do sew up the inner end of the vagina calling it a vagina cuff once the uterus is out. I have felt some odd sensations up in my vagina after 4 weeks which is the healing process and I have also seen the white stitches come out when I use the bathroom and wipe, and some on my pad. It was after seeing these for three days in a row that I am finally spotting free. Please keep in mind that usually when you feel discomfort down there and internally around the abdomen area, it is the healing process. As for my abdomen incisions they are very small and started losing their scabs at week 3 and still doing so on some. No pain involved at all with those either. I have not been placed on any HRT as of yet since I still have one ovary, and feel pretty much the same as pre-op so I am assuming my Dr is waiting on any changes in me before we go there.
Unread 02-18-2012, 08:09 PM

Thanks
Unread 02-18-2012, 11:52 PM

I didn't have the da vinci, but I had a TLH-BSO on Jan 27, with the uterus removed vaginally -I've had no vaginal pain at all - Just some odd swelling/tampon in wrong/something feels like it's in the vagina feeling, but that seems to be lessening (I've also started using KY Silk-E and twice a week Premarin vaginal cream, in case that feeling was from dryness). In recovery, I had around a 2 pain (would really describe it more as just general discomfort, nothing intolerable) and was on Toradol (like heavy duty advil, thru IV) the whole time I was in the hospital and then oral Toradol once a day for three days after I was discharged. I never needed anything stronger, was very very lucky. I avoided watching any videos of the procedure before my surgery - Even when the gyn offered to show me pictures of my removed organs at my 2 week post op, I declined, I just don't want or need the visuals Good luck and take care

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register