Update | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-03-2002, 09:33 PM
Update

Hello friends,

Haven't been back in a while. It was so long before I could even see the Dr. that I figured I might as well fageddaboudit for a while and not plague y'all to death until I actually knew something.

Heh heh. What I know now is this: Three weeks from gyn appt., I am suddenly laid off at work.

I can keep health insurance for 90 days. If I don't have a diagnosis by then someone's gonna get hurt.

Wonder how much this is gonna cost???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2002, 09:53 PM
{{{Linda}}}

How horrible! I can`t even imagine how you must feel right now. Can you job hunt in the next 3 weeks? There must be some place just looking for you. God shut the door...but feel that breeze? That`s a window opening.

Wishing you peace.

{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 01-03-2002, 10:30 PM
Update

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this is happening. {{hugs}} to you!

I was wondering however on your insurance, do you possibly have Cobra coverage available? Its normally available and you can stay on it for 18 months after a change in employment. Please contact your human resources department AND your insurance company both to check into it. You do have to enroll pretty quickly however so don't delay.

I wish you the best and hope you'll be able to continue your coverage, find new employment and most importantly get yourself taken care of.

Oh, also wanted to mention, could the Dr possibly get you in any earlier? If its a scheduling problem, have them put you on the list for any cancelations that may pop up.

Please keep us posted on how you're doing and I will be keeping you in my prayers.

{{hugs}}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2002, 12:04 AM
Update

I don't have any better advice than Vicki (checking into Cobra and getting the doctor to move faster), but I do have some

I was unemployed and then employed without health insurance and I know it's a terrifiying feeling. At the time I was looking into "catastrophic" plans that blue cross blue shield had. They were cheap, with high deductibles, but would cover big things like surgery. but like kaatie says, I felt that breeze from a window and a real job with real benefits dropped into my lap.

Unread 01-04-2002, 12:10 AM
Update

Can't get COBRA. "Not enough people enrolled in your plan."

I have called every week to see if there were any cancellations. The one time there was one, I had a professional conference out of town that I HAD to go to to renew my license.

The best I can hope for is 90 days on the old plan, if I pay the entire premium.

God knows how much that is.
Unread 01-04-2002, 05:10 AM
Update

I can only imagine how frustrating this is, but please don't let it get you depressed to where you can't think clearly. Keep calling the doc and explain why it is so important to be seen ASAP. Hopefully they will be sympathetic. You might also want to look into help through the state, but that would depend on your family income. It's an idea that you might want to consider. Please keep us posted!
Another thing is that each year the hospitals will do so much for "troubled patients" who have a hard time paying their bills. If you need surgery, then please don't let the ins get in the way of your health. If worse comes to worse, even a payment of $5 a month will keep the bill collectors away.
Unread 01-04-2002, 05:47 AM
Update

I am so sorry! I have nothing to add, just a and good wishes for you. Does the doctor keep a cancellation list? Some do and then if someone calls last minute to cancel, they start calling their cancellation list to see if anyone can make it in. It's something to check into. Good luck!
Unread 01-04-2002, 12:19 PM
Update

Yeah. got lots of time now, so I won't have to worry about scheduling conflicts ...

The good news is the payment will be only a little over $100 a month. From what my friend who just got off unemployment says, I should be able to afford that easy.

I was going to just wait since it is so close to appt anyway, but a couple weeks earlier may mean a couple more weeks covered by health insurance ... more time to get diagnostics done and in the can, etc. anyway we had all this snow, so there may be cancellations.

thanks for all support, hugs, and suggestions.

Unread 01-04-2002, 04:52 PM
Update

SORRY ABOUT YOUR LAY OFF, BUT BEING A VET I WOULD THINK YOU COULD GET A JOB SOMEPLACE??
DID YOU EVER THINK OF STARTING YOUR OWN??
HERE IN CHICAGO WE HAVE SOOO MANY DIFFERNT ANIMAL
HOSPITALS IT'S RIDICULOUS. OUR PETS ARE THE BEST CARED FOR ANYWHERE HA-HA.
I AM GLAD ABOUT THE INSURANCE, YOU REALLY DO NEED THAT!!
JUST IN CASE YOU HAVE TO GO INTO THE HOSPITAL, I'LL TELL YOU, THE BILLS ARE STAGGERING.
HERE IN ILLINOIS THE HOSP. ALONE COSTS ABOUT $12,500.00
AND THAT'S FOR 2 DAYS. THAT'S ONLY OPER.ROOM,YOUR ROOM
(NOT PRIVATE BY THE WAY) DOES NOT INCLUDE DR'S,MEDS. ETC.
TRY TO GET IN TO THE DR. A.S.A.P.
LOTS OF LUCK, KEEP US POSTED.
Unread 01-04-2002, 07:35 PM
Update

I am a bit more difficult to place because I do not do surgery.

Plus number of animal hospitals is no indicator that all of them are healthy financially.

It seems that in veterinary medicine (around here at least) everyone wants to own their own business. So what you end up with is a bunch of small, struggling little businesses, all competing with each other in too close a geographical area for the same pool of clients that is too small to support everyone. This means that everyone works long hours, trying to attract people with convenience, and never brings in enough money because fees have to be low. It basically means you work yourself to death for low pay and usually no benefits, and some hospitals don't make enough to afford the latest equipment or best trained staff.

What I need is one large multidoctor practice that is secure financially. I find that they are the most progressive usually, have the best staff, and you don't work yourself into chronic fatigue just to barely scrape by.

Puppy how are you doing?? Haven't talked to you in a while.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register