Scheduled dVH/RALH Realistic Recovery time? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Realistic Recovery time? Realistic Recovery time?

Unread 02-19-2012, 12:06 AM
Realistic Recovery time?

Hello everyone,
I finally talked to my Dr. last week and rescheduled my hyst, which I am very happy about. I'm just a little worried about when I can comfortably return to work. My doctor thinks the daVinci hyst will be a very short recovery of only 2-3 weeks.
I am worried this will be too soon to go back full time since my job is very demanding, involves sitting for prolonged periods, and often I cannot just leave my work station at will. I also routinely work 10+ hours a day.
I am in pretty good health, though a bit anemic (55 yrs old).
I know that once I go back, the demands of the job will not allow me to "ease into it" by working short days, or sitting less.
Any thoughts on this topic are truly appreciated... Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2012, 05:30 AM
Re: Realistic Recovery time?

i had the da vinchi 16 days ao,whilst i was out shopping at 3/4 post op the nurses did say that it was unusual to be quite that mobile.i`m still at the stae of pottering around no lifting and feel uncomfortable if i sit or stand for too long.in my opinion 3 weeks is far too early to return to a 10 hour day.Speak to the nurses on the ward as they will be in a better place to estimate your return to work.Listen to your body and don`t go back to work too early,although the da vinchi speeds your recovery it is still MAJOR surgery and healing shouldn`t be rushed.
Unread 02-19-2012, 05:49 AM

I will be 3 weeks this Tuesday. My Da Vinci was 1/31.. Although I feel better, I could not go back to 10 hour shifts even if sitting. I just started feeling a little comfortable sitting for 15 to 20 minutes at a time straight up..

If you are able I would at least take 4 weeks. These doctors try to sell the Da Vinci with less recoop time. Everything on the inside is the same. The incisions on the outside are just smaller. My doc knows this and wrote me out for work for 6 weeks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2012, 10:10 AM

I went back at 4 weeks following DvH. I had ovaries, appendix, tubes, some lymph nodes also removed. I noticed that posts by people who had fewer things removed seemed to recover faster. Maybe by 4-6 days ahead of me. My doctor said i could go back at 3 weeks but I wanted to be more sure. That allowed me time to test routines etc. When I went back at 4 weeks I was working 8-12 hours and it was tough, but manageable. You do still need to move around while you are sitting and my nurse suggesting standing up for a few minutes even if you cannot leave your desk will help. You still do not want to form clots and sitting still that long could be bad.
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:24 AM

I have noticed that a few Sisters here that have had a Dvh doctors say recovery time is 2to 3 weeks. I don't get this just becouse a surgery was done robot assted how oes that shorten your recovery time? I had tvh the very least envasive for hystrectomy and my doctor said 6 weeks. The same healing is going on inside no matter how they preformed it. I would have your doctor right you out of work for 6weeks if your feeling better you can go back sooner better to have more time than not. Or at 3weeks Or work half days.good luck to you
Unread 02-19-2012, 11:32 AM

Thank you all so much! This really does help me to get a better idea of what to expect with the daVinci surgery.
It sounds like most of you are doing very well at 2-3 weeks, but maybe not quite ready for a 10 hour day.
I feel like the doc was saying I will feel good in 2-3 weeks, which is quite amazing in itself, but it may not mean I will also be ready to go back to 10+ hour days, sitting 98% of the day (also it's a very stressful job).
I go in to docs office tomorrow to get my medical leave paperwork filled out for work, so I will ask for 6 weeks and hopefully they will agree. I have plenty of leave, so that's not an issue.
Thanks sisters!
Unread 02-19-2012, 12:48 PM

I would be prepared to be assertive with the doctor about the length of time. It is much easier to request the full 6 weeks and come back early than to request 2-3 and then need more time. You can also request an hour/duty restriction. I came back part time for 6 weeks before going to full-time, but was a slow healer and needed the extra time. Given your description of your job, it sounds like once you're there, you'll be facing a lot of demands.
Unread 02-19-2012, 01:08 PM

I agree with KJDAY.. the only thing different is the incisions on the outside.. all the internal healing is the same no matter which way the hysterectomy was done and more so for the vaginal cuff to heal if cervix is removed..

Take the full 6 and heal the right way.. Only one chance to heal right
Unread 02-19-2012, 05:28 PM

Thanks Beryl55 and Gmac411-
I will be ready to fight for my right to heal!
I was not as worried about going back too soon when I thought I'd be going in last Fall, but now I feel like I have fewer reserves, just can't get enough sleep, still feel tired all the time due to anemia.
Thanks!
Unread 02-20-2012, 08:14 AM

I am scheduled to have a Complete Hysterectomy (DVH) on March 7th. My concerns are HRT and the down time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register