TVH what do I need? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH what do I need? TVH what do I need?

Unread 02-19-2012, 12:15 AM
TVH what do I need?

I am having a TVH done on March 6th. I keep reading that support undies are the way to go but are they only for abdominal hysterectomys or do they help with vaginal too? Any good advice of things to get or what to expect from a TVH? I originally thought this was gonna be easy as pie and the more I have looked into it the more I am realizing this is not gonna be a breeze. I am 27 with a new baby. I am very thankful my mom is coming to help me for a month. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Re: TVH what do I need?

I had a TVH with a weeks notice and had nothing special, nor did I feel the need for anything. But I maybe had an easier recovery than many on here. I think a reacher device could be helpful, and they are cheap. As much as ladies suggest a small pillow and a binder, I would never have used or wanted them, but you might feel differently. I had cramping and pulling type pains, and took Aleve for 3 weeks, but no narcs. It was much easier than I expected. No swelly belly, either. So recovery can be easy but best to plan on it being rougher and be pleasantly surprised if it's easy. Also with a new baby you will surely need the help from your mom. I hope your recovery is easy and speedy.
Unread 02-19-2012, 09:39 AM

I had DvH and I did not feel I would have benefited from the support undies. But I also had very few issues with swelly belly unless I had a lot of sodium. Otherwise, I knew I was swollen, but it was not uncomfortable. I too thought I should have the support undies on hand reading the posts but never found any and did not get around to ordering them from the site. I might have liked them more in the first couple weeks though if I had them.

Hopefully someone will come along who used them to give you a different perspective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2012, 11:30 AM

I had a tvh last Monday I didn't have anything special. I didn't want tight underwear on I know that loose was more comfortable. Gas ex was helpful but my recovery thus far is been pretty uneventful. Thank goodness good luck!
Unread 02-19-2012, 01:21 PM

I had a tvh on January 30. I am also 27. I got gas x and stool softeners.t I also took small panty liners to the hospital with me and boy short undies. I did get the support pants. Like yoga pants but they are made to hold everything in and make you look slimmer. The tightness on my tummy made it hurt less. I also became best friends with my heating pad. Remember we are all so different in how we handle this its best to take tips but don't forget that its not textbook. I hope its smooth sailing for you in surgery and recovery. ((((Hugs))))
Unread 02-19-2012, 02:14 PM

Thanks ladies. I am planning on sporting my maternity pants after surgery if I go out of the house. I might pick up a pair of support undies just in case and if I don't use them oh well. I am hoping things go smoothly. I have a tendency to have a slower recovery because of my fibromyalgia and just being me. I am very much a realist so I look at things as they are and a lot of time look at worst case scenario. That was if things do go better then i expected I wont be disappointed.
Unread 02-19-2012, 02:18 PM

That sounds like me. I expected this to be the worst thing that ever happened but thus far it hasn't been too bad. If you need to talk about anything I'm here.
Unread 02-19-2012, 04:09 PM

I too have mine on the 6th of March, LSVH, I've put together myself my little box of goodies... stool softener, De-gas, and I was also told to get some Buscopan, good for cramps and spasms, and my support undies, one thing I found after I had my children , were that these were great, just giving you that added support, so maybe might be the same for this. My heating pads never far from me at the best of times, so will be right beside me also..lol...
hoping I'm not gonna need it all , but thinking Im not gonna be able to duck down the shops and get it if i want.
wishing you a speedy recoverey and all the best
Unread 02-19-2012, 04:11 PM

We are all so different and have a wide range of experiences. I had a TVH and found recovery to be rather brutal. I also have lupus and I believe that has made my recovery more challenging than some ladies'. I got gas x and stool softeners, heating pad (which I kept on 24/7) and loose comfy pjs. I could not have tolerated a belly binder or support panties as my tummy was so sore I did not want anything touching it at all. My swelly belly was enormous and swelled up to my bra band. I looked very pregnant and it was very uncomfortable. At 7 months post op I still have a swelly belly and can't wear any of my pre op pants. I hope you have a fast, painless recovery, but its good to be prepared because there are no guarantees and it could be a long journey.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register