Surgery 1/30 - BMs after narcotics - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery 1/30 - BMs after narcotics Surgery 1/30 - BMs after narcotics

Unread 02-24-2012, 07:19 AM
Re: How long before bowels return to normal?

Today I am 5 days post op and no bowel activity. Was good to see all the pointers here and to know what I feel is ok. Thanks for the tips ladies!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2012, 07:00 PM

oh god im sorry to hear about all of this. Im 3 weeks post op. magnesium citrate helped after the third day of being home, lots of water , dulcolax, prunes and prune juice.
Unread 02-25-2012, 08:55 PM

So I went to doctor yesterday...told my problems ( 1 week post, no BM) suggested to only take percocet at night if needed. She also said STOP using ducolax. It is a intestinal wall lax and thus the huge crampng. She gave me miralax, which works on the pooh itself! And so last night, glorious start! Today, 2 doses of miralax, seems pipes have woke up. So my suggestion is once you have some bowel activity ( gas, rumblings ect) don't use the ducolax and go to the miralax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2012, 09:09 PM

Try to limit the pain killers, like Vicodin, for example.
I think that it causes constipation.

Also try drinking a mixture of Miralax and Benefiber every day.

You may add a stoll softener once a day if you like.

Just don't become dependent on Ex Lax like I was.
It makes you bowel "lazy."
Unread 02-25-2012, 09:41 PM

Inva - I'm at 6 months and am still having constipation and still on Miralax. I tried going off it very slowly over several weeks and then everything ground to a halt and I had to go back up to the regular dose. How did you shift off stool softeners?
Unread 02-26-2012, 07:04 PM

4 days post op on Co Lace 2 per day. I started having BM's yesterday and I am wondering how long do you stay on stool softeners? The doctor gave me 30 capsules. I also have a Bran Muffin with my coffee every morning. I guess my other question is how much fiber is required every day?
Unread 02-26-2012, 07:42 PM

I would go to some health website that breaks down how much carbs,fiber,protein,etc.etc.that health regulations say if i were you.all i know after the 2nd week of taking stool softners i quit taking them(i ran out) an i suffered for a couple of days.in my opinion the "philips"brand helped me the best.i hope this helps
Unread 02-26-2012, 08:04 PM

I just stopped the stool softeners when I stopped the pain pills... no method just didn't take them anymore.

I continued the MOM until a week or so after the antibiotics. (flagyl)

Still using the the Metamucil wafers on occasion. (depending on foods/schedule, I still have a bit of trouble from time to time)
Unread 02-26-2012, 08:26 PM

Wow, this is why I come here. I am so grateful for this site. I am still trying to get back to normal BM 2 1/2 months post op. I have one almost every day, I am grateful for that, but there are times, like right now, where I can feel the pain of needing to go. I took some miralax on Friday night and it did nothing. I did have complications post op too though. I had an open wound after rejecting the staples, had to be put on three weeks worth of heavy duty anti biotics, wound vac, you name it. I'm drinking lots of water, eating activia, oatmeal, cheerios, walking without overdoing it, which I did a couple weeks ago and felt it immediately after, and I get up every once in a while because if I don't I can feel the soreness in my pelvic floor. Bottom line, like the other ladies are saying, it takes time.
Unread 02-26-2012, 10:00 PM

Wow, are we ever going to return to normal? Its been since Dec 29th for me, and I think things might be chillin out a little now. I've taken stool softeners off and on for the whole time since then, and had to increase my fiber big time! I still feel the pain in my lower left groin area, signalling for me that it's finally time to go! My biggest fear is hurting something inside if I strain too much, so I just try to "wait" until the time is right. Its weird, I went from taken immodium when I left the hospital, to this. Waiting patiently for normal to return...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register