Scheduled but still wondering | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduled but still wondering Scheduled but still wondering

Unread 02-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Scheduled but still wondering

I'm scheduled for a vaginal hysterectomy next month and not sure about the details. Been having two periods a month for a while but cannot check the uterus because of an oblation done 10 years ago. There is alot of breast cancer in my family so I'm not sure if keeping the ovaries is a good idea or not. Also wondered if it's normal to stay in the hospital or depends on doctors. I've had two normal unmedicated deliveries and have no problem handling the pain. Afraid I'm not taking it seriously enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Re: Scheduled but still wondering

I can only speak to my experience, I had a TVH in July and was told I would stay one night in hospital, but I ended up staying for two nights. I have a good pain tolerance but found there to be a fair amount of pain and discomfort involved with the surgery. You will need help at home for at least a week. I still found it difficult to make dinner at 3 weeks. It's a good idea to make a list of questions to ask your doctor at your pre op appointment.
Unread 02-19-2012, 09:20 PM

I have never had a child, but know from reading the posts that this surgery is very different from that. This is MAJOR SURGERY. From what I understand, the only thing more major is open heart surgery. The pain is moderate to severe, although is controllable with narcotics / Motrin. Your fatigue level will be quite high. Just taking a shower and getting to the couch will be an accomplishment. You will need help at home for a few weeks with things such as cooking, dishes, laundry, driving, shopping, etc.

Regarding keeping your ovaries and breast cancer, ask your doctor.

(((Hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2012, 08:49 AM

I haven't had my hyster yet, but I have had 3 c-sections. I had 2 night hospital stays with all 3 and was so thankful for them. I got to just focus on recovery. Once I got home, I had to take care of stuff. But at the hospital I had someone keeping track of my meds, change my sheets, bring me food that I didn't have to cook, etc. I felt that I needed the time in the hospital. Also, the first 24 hours is when the pain is the worst and I feel it's so much better to be at the hospital during this time than at home.
Unread 02-20-2012, 12:01 PM

Thanks everyone! Wow - guess I have been underthinking this! Have already started a list of questions for the pre-op Dr. appointment but I guess I just figured since there weren't any incisions, it would be quick and easy. I'm not really very good at sitting still and just healing but I guess I'll have to figure it out. Will have help at home since my kids are big. Better make sure I get a lot more detail from my doc so that I know what's coming! Thanks again!
Unread 02-20-2012, 12:10 PM

I'm having at TVH and my doctor said I would be staying one night in the hospital. When I asked if it were possible to go home the same day she said yes, but I would have to be very motivated. I won't be crazy about it but I would be more comfortable at home and am going to try for that. You need to do what's right for you. My doctor, and many women on this forum, have said that the pain after a TVH is not so bad. My doctor said I'll feel pretty good but will need to remind myself that I am recovering. No lifting over 10 pounds for six weeks. You will need some help but you might not feel so bad either. Plan for the worst and then be surprised by the best - that's my plan.
Unread 02-20-2012, 12:21 PM

I had two previous surgeries prior to the hyster and did very well from both ( a thyroidectomy and cervical fusion ). I was sure I bound back the same from the hyster. I'm a spunky 46yo. The hyster kicked my butt!!! Pain wasn't so much the issue; it was well controlled by narcs/ibuprofen. I was just so extremely fatigued. Marestail is correct, a shower was a huge accomplishment. I struggled with this most-the inability to do simple things without help. It took me a good three weeks to feel somewhat normal. I drove myself to my first post op and back at a little over two weeks and was done in for the rest of the day. The recovery is totally doable and smooth if you really follow post op orders. Of course, none of us do and we hit snags : ) use this site for support and try to rest and let others help you. Good luck to you.
Unread 02-20-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpcamper View Post
Thanks everyone! Wow - guess I have been underthinking this! Have already started a list of questions for the pre-op Dr. appointment but I guess I just figured since there weren't any incisions, it would be quick and easy. I'm not really very good at sitting still and just healing but I guess I'll have to figure it out. Will have help at home since my kids are big. Better make sure I get a lot more detail from my doc so that I know what's coming! Thanks again!
Keep in mind no matter how they enter your abdomen, you will have hundreds of stitches on the inside. Essentially, the only difference between the hysterectomies is how they get there and how they remove organs. This surgery is like no other - I have had several and this was by far the worse for fatigue and length of recovery. The level of fatigue is incredible. You may want to join one of the pre-op chats before your surgery. You can also review the pre-op or post-op information pages.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the info Marestail! Have read some of the posts about staying in your pajamas so that everyone at still remembers your healing...guess I better do that to remind me! Been looking around through this site, with the suggestion of a friend, and there is a lot of great information. Such a great place!
Unread 02-21-2012, 12:42 PM

I am exactly 3 weeks out from my da vinci, and I have had some butt kicking days! I totally underestimated what I would feel like and need a nap every day. I only closed my childcare for one week and even though I have had daily help, it has been difficult to say the least. I too, like another post said, have had 3 c/s, and they don't hold a candle to this! I can go strong (lol, upright and awake!) for the 1st part of the day and then crash after lunch time... We all take naps! I spent 3 days in the hospital because things were slow to wake up, but I knew what was waiting for me! I ended up with an infection in my vaginal sutures a week post op.. Not sure why but not convinced that it was from trying to do too much! Take the time to think about this, it is a major decision. For what it is worth, I was scheduled initially 3 years ago, and tried multiple other treatments before I finally rescheduled it for 3 weeks ago... Good luck and feel free to ask anything! Really!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register