Scheduled dVH/RALH I could really use a hug | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I could really use a hug I could really use a hug

Unread 02-20-2012, 12:19 AM
I could really use a hug

Hi,

I feel like I shouldn't be so anxious. I know hyster is a big deal, but I had brain surgery two times last year and I know the whole surgery drill all too well. I felt good about things after my pre-op on Monday, but over the past 3 days, my anxiety has been coming in waves. I know it's a normal reaction even without the history of panic disorder and OCD. I also know that compared to what I went through last year, this is a much shorter recovery and hospital stay.

I have been planning to keep my ovaries but after the pre-op I am not so confident about that. My doctor is suspecting endo in addition to the probable adeno. Endo scares me because I know some people still have trouble with it even after hysters. I also really would prefer not to get thrown into surgical menopause. The surgeon will only take the ovaries if he feels like they are too messed up to keep but now I am not so sure of my decision. I will ask him about it again before the surgery.

I don't even know if my right ovary does anything. Every month I have 3-5 painful days at ovulation and the pain is always on the left side, near the ovary and the bowel. My period cramps start here too and are sharpest here before they spread out and radiate down my thighs. Last night I also noticed I was having lower back pain on the side of the annoyed ovary. (This ovary showed up as ovulating on my last U/S.)

I suppose I am just afraid of the unknown. Especially after last year. I had months of not knowing what was going on with my skull bone tumor and the pathology took forever to get back but never yielded much of an answer other than benign. Technically, it didn't even medically qualify as a tumor though it showed up like one and grew like one inside my head between my left eye and my brain. My doctor had other docs working on my case and I was a their medical mystery case.

My gyno issues have also been very ambiguous, which is why I am actually hoping the pathology comes back as adeno. I am really tired of "could be this" or "could be that" all the time. I guess I will at least finally get some answers.

Well, probably. My mom had a hyster and she didn't have anything odd come up in pathology even though her symptoms were horrible. My symptoms are a bit different from hers though.

I suppose if things come up only as benign issues (which is all that is suspected at this time) I will feel better afterward just because it will be over. I do know I won't miss the debilitating cramps and the chronic anemia. But maybe I'll ask the doctor about the ovulation pain. It's mostly just annoying, but it is also sometimes distracting and it does keep me awake at night during those times.

Maybe I need to ask him how bad the endo would need to be before the ovaries should come out. I do trust him and feel like he takes me seriously. I guess I'll just be glad when this is all over and I am resting at home, watching DVDs, and taking short walks around the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2012, 01:01 AM
Re: I could really use a hug

I hope things work out for you.
Unread 02-20-2012, 01:23 AM

((((BIG HUG)))) :-* and may things be much better for you afterwards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2012, 03:16 AM

Huge hugs xxx good luck with your surgery the da vinchi is amazing.I also have endo and had adeno i chose to keep my ovaries as i`m only 33 and the surgeon wasn`t prepared to remove them.leavin them in means the endo will grow quicker but it`s about weighing up the pro`s and cons and deciding what is best for you.For me my adeno pain was far worse than the endo.I know that i will need futher surgery to control the endo but thats ok.I am so pleased i had the hyst i`m only 16 days post op and already feel like a new woman.There is hope xx
Unread 02-20-2012, 07:29 AM

Hugs to you DP. I am sorry to read about your past surgeries. You have gone thru a lot!I too used to get all my ovulation pain on my left side so I too thought maybe I only ovulated on the left. Turns out the reason for my pain there was that I must've had my Fibroid tumor in the uterus for years and as it grew it was mainly on the left side where the pressure was felt. Then when I had my da vinci surgery they found that the Fibroid had arms reaching out to other organs and it had wrapped itself around my left ovary which I ended up losing. If your Dr's credentials are good you should trust him. You can go into surgery with the plan of leaving the ovaries unless he sees any issues of any kind. This is what I told my Dr and he ended up removing the left one. So far, thank God, I have not felt any hormonal issues, and I am not on any HRT as of yet. I would also suggest lots of prayer that God assists your Dr and eases your concerns. Hugs to you, and God Bless You!
Unread 02-20-2012, 08:04 AM

Big hugs! Best to you in your surgery. I know it's nerve racking. Being free of adeno has been a huge blessing for me. My wacky hormones have really settled down since my RSO and SAH. My left ovary is behaving so much better now. Hang in there.
Unread 02-20-2012, 08:59 AM

Hugs to you! I had DaVinci Jan 3rd, I will be 7 weeks post op tomorrow. I can totally relate to your anxiousness, I was so nervous/scared! I had it all removed, ovaries included and have not regretted it one bit. The surgery and postop is really rather remarkable. I have been so surprised on how I have felt. I had just a small amount of pain coming out of surg, had that taken care of immediately, went home the same day and by day 4 I was just taking Ibuprofen. I probably could have quit pain meds earlier just wanted them as a precautionary. I feel better than I have in a long time! I can relate to the being scared of the unknown, I was very much that way. I have had no problems so far with the surgical menopause, started Estrogen patch on day 6, and have only had a couple mild hot flashes but no other side effects. As a matter of fact, I have lost 14 lbs since surgery You can do this....you've had brain surgery!
Unread 02-20-2012, 08:59 AM

HUGE HUGS to you!!!! Hang in there! I'm anxious too, but I know God will take care of me and YOU too! Soon this will all be a memory and we'll feel SO much better!
Unread 02-20-2012, 12:48 PM

Thanks, ladies.

I appreciate the virtual hugs and the shared experiences. I have also wondered if my left side issues could be becuase that's where the adeno is, since that's where my cramps are most intense and sharp. I guess I'll find out more tomorrow afternoon.

In the mean time, my body has reacted to the stress by starting my bowel prep early for me. Yuck. I haven't even had my Miralax yet and I already have stuff going on. I did have a stool softener at 8 a.m., but I think it's mostly nerves. I had an anti-anxiety pill too and that seems to be helping a bit.

I figure this will seem easy compared to brain surgery, but i still don't like it. I guess I was just kind of taken off guard when the surgeon mentioned endo at my pre-op. He's got great credentials and he answered all my questions without hurrying me. I do trust him; I think he's a great doc. My regular gyno said she'd have him do hers (and is considering it.). I had been on the Mirena for the past year and a half and I hadn't realized how much it helped the pain and bleeding until I had it removed. But I couldn't handle the side effects of constant draining/spotting.

I am just really hungry now since I don't get to eat real food today.

And if I need to, I will watch a sad movie. I have difficulty crying even when I need to, so I usually need a catalyst.

Thanks again.
Unread 02-20-2012, 03:26 PM

Dear DancingPopcorn,
Sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers, and tons of...
:cathugs:

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register