Scheduled dVH/RALH Will my period affect my surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will my period affect my surgery? Will my period affect my surgery?

Unread 02-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Will my period affect my surgery?

My surgery is on thursday and it seems my uterus is putting up a fight. My period is here with a vengeance. Will this affect my surgery? My doctors office is closed today and I really don't want to bother the on call doc to ask.

Also, I'm not supposed to take anything other than Tylenol. My cramps are out of control. I'm using a heating pad on my cramps, but it's not really helping. any advice?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Re: Will my period affect my surgery?

Your period will not affect your surgery. They will give u a pad prior to going into surgery. When you wake up, you will no longer be on. Isn't that great!

I hope you get through the pain prior to surgery since you really can't take anything else.

Best wishes on your up coming surgery. It's much better on the other side!
Unread 02-20-2012, 10:47 AM

Courtney,

First, follow your DRs orders--nothing but Tylenol. I hope the heating pad helps with the cramps, have you tried some deep breathing. Hope you feel better soon.

Bleeding during surgery should not be a problem. Lots of hysterectomies are performed while the patient bleeding.

Good luck Thursday!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2012, 12:28 PM

I was bleeding horribly on surgery day, Flo went kickin' and screamin'. I was made very comfortable pre op and we joked about the end of Flo. I'm still in disbelief that she is GONE even 4.5 months out : ) I'm sure more of us were bleeding than not on surgery day. It will be a go I'm sure.
Unread 02-21-2012, 01:02 PM

I was also on my cycle the day of my surgery. The nurse game me a hospital pad and told me, "we get this all time...it's WHY we do hysterectomies"
Unread 02-21-2012, 01:17 PM

I was also on day 12 of aunt Flo! She was heavy and nasty. The nurse gave me a pad and said no big deal. So happy I said goodbye forever to nasty Flo.
Unread 02-21-2012, 02:14 PM

Thanks everyone. As miserable as I am, it is so nice to know that this is my last period ever!
Unread 02-21-2012, 03:08 PM

Just to be safe, I would suggest calling your doctor's office. We have had a few women whose doctors felt it was better to do surgery when they were not on their period if possible. Of course, some of us go into OR because we can't stop bleeding and more than likely if your doctor had a preference you would have been told when scheduling.

If the Tylenol is not cutting it and surgery is a go, you could also ask your doctor for other pain control options. S/he may be willing to at least prescribe Tylenol #3 or Vicodin for a couple days.

in there!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register