3 days 17 hours..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 days 17 hours..... 3 days 17 hours.....

Unread 02-20-2012, 01:08 PM
3 days 17 hours.....

Hello, well surgery is on Friday morning, and as it gets closer I am getting more nervous, but I know all will be ok.

A quick update from my previous post, my husband stepped it up this weekend, and helped out around the house. He helped clean the whole house, and actually did a great job. Him helping out like this showed me maybe I should not worry to much about the house while I am recovering.

I am by no means regular at all, and I got my cycle on saturday evening, and all I have been in is constant horrible pain. I was truly hoping for a great "last" weekend with my kids before I went for my surgery, but I spent the whole weekend in bed with the pain. I feel so bad for my two youngsters and that is just one of the major reasons I am having this surgery so that I am not in constant pain and can spend my time with them.

How does having your cycle effect surgery? I never know how my cycle is going to last. I am just curious.

Also, I am nervous about having surgical menopause. Any suggestions with this? I am having everything removed, uterus, both ovaries, tubes, cervix. Currently I am always warm /hot. will that change? How often to get hot flashes?

Has anyone come home with catheters? My doctor at pre-op was telling me that the nurses will teach me and my husband how to use them in case we have to go home with them. Well thanks for all the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Re: 3 days 17 hours.....

Hi, sweetie. I know this is tough. You will get through this, and we are here to help.

Your cycle should not affect you surgery. Just let them know if you are still bleeding when you go in on your surgery day, and they will get you set up.

Surgical menopause is different for everyone. Some women have no problems and do not need hormones, others are like me and do need hormones to function. The good news is that you have time to make the decision which one are you. Also talk to your doctor and see what he/she has to say. It can also take some time to get the right balance.

Regarding catheters, everyone is different. You will see if you need one at home. Mine came out the day after surgery. (I was in the hospital for 3 1/2 days.)

(((Hugs)))
Unread 02-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Re: 3 days 17 hours.....

It's a shame your period came the last weekend before your surgery. Think of it as a validation of why you're getting this done. Sometimes Aunt Flow wants one last chance to put in her two cents and be heard!

I had my catheter removed the day after my surgery (I was in hospital two nights). They take it out and make sure you can pee and that you're actually getting it all out (they measure it). If you cant pee or if you are unable to drain your bladder they put the catheter back in. Since not peeing isn't a big enough reason to keep you in hospital, they will send you home with one. It does happen, but the majority of ladies is fine without it.

I'm sorry I can't speak to your other questions, since they were not part of my experience. I wish you all the best with your surgery and recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register