Avoid constipation BEFORE surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Avoid constipation BEFORE surgery Avoid constipation BEFORE surgery

Unread 01-04-2002, 06:30 AM
Avoid constipation BEFORE surgery

I've never had a problem with constipation and didn't expect one afterwards. BUT, I took some 'precautions' to insure I wouldn't have problems due to medications. I know from reading on this forum that constipation can be a problem.

I would urge you to eat well weeks BEFOREHAND. I include grains and fiber in my diet normally, so I didn't change any eating habits.

My dh bought me stool softener to have on hand. I have the NON-laxative-containing one (Walmart makes their own brand). Ask your doctor if you should start it before surgery since it can take several days to work. Had I thought about it, I might have started it earlier. Since it's not a laxative, you don't have to worry about exploding on the operating table. It's NOT addictive and I haven't used it for a week.

My doctor wanted me to use a Fleet enema the night before surgery. It came in a two-pack. Since I didn't have a BM in the hospital (had my surgery Monday, came home Thursday), I decided to use the other Fleet enema on Thursday or Friday before I really got plugged up. Medications DEFINITELY can cause constipation.

My mother was born in England, and HER mom was also born there in 1895. Their cure for constipation was to take two cups of hot WATER first thing in the morning before eating. It sounds gross, but that's what I did. It seems to stimulate things. I guess if coffee or tea works, you could use it as well.

I realize this may all sound gross, but the key is to PREVENT severe constipation. I did that, and I had NO problems with painful gas/flatulence that many people get who have laparoscopic surgery or abdominal surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2002, 07:57 AM

Vicki, thanks for posting this info for everyone! The only thing I might add to that great advice is be sure to check with your doc about what to use or not use as far as stool softners before surgery.

Thanks Vicki!

s

Sherry
Unread 01-04-2002, 10:53 AM

Yes--absolutely. I did include that in my third paragraph. ALWAYS check with your doctor!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2002, 03:14 PM

{{{{{{Vicki}}}}}}, I'm so sorry. I didn't see that in your post. As I have said (about 100 times) I think I am losing my mind and I'm no nearer to finding it. UGH! So please pardon my brain .

Please accept my apology...

Sherry
Unread 01-04-2002, 03:40 PM
Constipation

Thanks for giving us some thoughts on how to prevent problems with gas and
constipation after surgery. I didn't realize that there were things we could do
beforehand to help us later. I will ask my dd about his recommendations too
Unread 01-04-2002, 06:49 PM

Sherry, Sherry, Sherry, Sherry, NO APOLOGY NEEDED. I didn't mean to come off making you think you needed to apologize. I just didn't want you to think I'd offer medical advice on this board. I ALWAYS try to put a sort of disclaimer ('check with your doctor').

This forum has been SO cool for me. Little over one month ago, I had NO CLUE I'd be having a complete hysterectomy. I was (somewhat) bragging to female relatives that I was going to be the first female in my family to go through menopause normally and NOT have a hysterectomy. This operation came out of left field, and I was terrified of the surgery itself (anesthesia) and you-name-it.

I discovered this board and found there were just a *few* women like myself!! I love this place!

Thank you again!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register