Catheter!?!? eeek! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Catheter!?!? eeek! Catheter!?!? eeek!

Unread 02-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Catheter!?!? eeek!

I just thought about this for the first time today, and now I am worried. Never had one before...
Unbelievably, I never even thought to ask about a catheter. Someone mentioned it to me the other day at work, and now it's like I can't STOP worrying about it.
Do I have to have one? Is it a necessity?
Will it go in/out while I am asleep? (I hope)
What makes them decide you need one?
I know it sounds pretty crazy with everything else more important going on... But I really do NOT want this!
I'm having daVinci LAVH at 6am, and they think I will be able to go home later on that same day, does that mean I may go home with a catheter?
Is there anything I can do ahead of time to avoid this?
Any sisters who have the scoop on this catheter thang I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Re: Catheter!?!? eeek!

I was told the catheter goes in after they put you under however, they usually take it out before you go home which scares me too!
Unread 02-20-2012, 04:28 PM

Are you afraid of it hurting? They put it in while you are under anesthesia and you don't even feel it afterwards. It was nice I didn't have to get up to go the bathroom during my one night stay following surgery. Didn't feel a thing when they took it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2012, 04:35 PM

I had a da Vinci and stayed less than 24hrs-my suggestion is to stay if you can that way you are on top of everything before you leave. As far as a catheter, you'll get one most likely when they put you under. Even if you get it placed while awake, I promise it does not hurt at all-really : ) the beauty of the catheter is that while you are coming out of the anesthesia, you won't have to get up to go to the bathroom. Mine was taken out around 2am. I was up before walking the halls with it like some crazy purse. Taking it out was also a piece of cake-zero pain. You won't be discharged until you can pee on your own. If you can't, they may send you home with it but I think this is quite rare. I would put this in the " don't even worry about it" pile. You'll do great, I promise. So you know, I felt the same. I was really very nervous about the whole catheter thing. It turns out, it was wasted worry.
Unread 02-20-2012, 04:44 PM

It goes in after you are out. I had a spinal, mine went in while I was awak, but I didn't even feel it. It doesn't hurt while in, and removal is easy. It is standard with a hysterectomy. I was initially concerned, turned out to be no big deal.
Unread 02-20-2012, 04:47 PM

Thank you all, at least I know I am not alone!
Probably sounds crazy, and it does seem so nutty to me that after years of pain, (and finally making the decision to have the hyst), my brain is now stuck on this one silly thing!
I guess mentally, it's like the proverbial "last straw."
Been putting my thoughts and feelings in place about all this stuff since last June, so this issue just kind of snuck up on me! Your answers are helping me put this catheter thing in perspective!
Unread 02-20-2012, 05:12 PM

It's really not so bad, when I came out of surgery, I wasn't even aware of it (so yes, they did insert in once I was knocked out).
You may or may not feel the need to pee while it's in (I did), just remember the cath does the work for you. My friend stayed with me and had to explain that part- I thought I had to "push."

They didn't take mine out until 6 the next evening, & by then it was annoying me- the tubing made it awkward to shift in bed- but I think you can request to have it out sooner.
Unread 02-20-2012, 05:21 PM

Natashadahlink!
I have had days where I've freaked out about the catheter, too! Of all the things to be upset about, it seems like it's a little thing, but it's not! Or maybe focusing on that helped me not-focus on other scarier things. Either way, you're not nuts, or I guess we're nuts together (hehehe).

Anyway, hang in there.
Unread 02-20-2012, 06:01 PM

I think fixating on specific things regarding the surgery is very normal. Let me put your mind to rest - the catheter is your best friend! I was pretty dizzy on morphine for the first several post op hours and it was so nice to just stay in bed and let my little "buddy" take care of business for me!
Having it removed was a breeze, and it was nice not having my "buddy" walking the halls with me anymore - lol.
Good luck with your surgery. (((hugs)))
Unread 02-20-2012, 07:19 PM

I have been worrying about that, too. Well, that and the IV (that part is always bad for me). Hopefully, they will wait until I am out before inserting the catheter; I am going to ask anyway. And the IV? Well, I am going to ask them to go ahead and put it in my arm and not to even try to hand!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register