Catheter!?!? eeek! - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Catheter!?!? eeek! Catheter!?!? eeek!

Unread 02-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Re: Catheter!?!? eeek!

My dr put it in and took it out while I was under. Loved it. I had to use tne restroom as soon as I got to my room. My nurse wanted me to wait because she said sometimes you just feel like you need to after the cath... two minutes later I insisted they let me get up and went and used the restroom. It was a little slow to get started and would start and stop the first few times but I was very greatful not to have any issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2012, 10:51 PM

You are all so sweet! Thank you from the bottom of my heart! I LOVE this place!
DancingPopcorn... God Bless! Sending thoughts and prayers to you and lots of for your big date at the castle tomorrow. I know you will feel better soon!

PrincessTink... I have been intubated (twice) and it was fine. I did not feel or remember a thing and I have the gag reflex of a cat with 100 back-to-back hairballs!!!! You will be okay, don't worry cuz it goes in and comes out while you are in La-La Land! I know some folks get a slight sore throat, but I only had a dry throat, gone by the next day... Drink some soothing herbal tea and honey and keep well hydrated. I got some natural throat lozenges from the healthfood store. Soon you'll be singin' like a little bird!
Thanks again to all of you! Here's a little HystaSista Conga Line for you to dream on. Sweet Dreams All... .
Unread 02-23-2012, 09:28 PM

LOVED the catherter, it was so rude when they took it away! I never thought *I* would say that, lol.

Once its out you have to get up and go pee, not as easy as it was before! Getting up and scrunching that belly was the hard part.

They made sure I could go on my own before I left the hospital ... I had to fill up "the party hat"! Silly nurses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2012, 02:31 AM

Hi there,

I too was very freaked out when I heard I would have a cathether. However.......... when it was in place I did not feel it at all, it empties your bladder for you when you can't get up to do it yourself. Mine was in place for 24 hours and when it was being removed there was only the tiniest bit of discomfort for a split second. So........... another thing you don't have to worry about

Ps: When mine was being removed the nurse asked if I would like to stand when it was being done as gravity made removal even easier.

Very best wishes.

Kallinda
Unread 02-24-2012, 06:51 PM

I had my gallbladder out three years ago. First this was a completely different surgery so they put it in while I was in recovery. It was no big deal I was loopy. I did have a problem peeing after they took it out. So they decided to put a new one in it was the worst experience because I agreed to let a student nurse do it. Never agree to let a student do anything. I'm not afraid this time I know they put it in when I'm out. And I know I wont be a practice patient for anyone. Good luck and don't worry.
Unread 02-24-2012, 07:08 PM

My experience with catheter... I had one for full tummy tuck but they took it out before they brought me to. With my c-sections I had them I over night. I remover having a urinary Track infection after it came out but they give you Meds for it. I don't like them in when I'm awake! But gotta do what I gotta do Do so I will make it.
Unread 02-24-2012, 07:15 PM

OMG!! I was soooo freaked out about the catheter too...my sisters a nurse and she just laughed at me and kept going...REALLY??? that's what you're worried about. :-)
I didn't feel a thing...they put it in when I was under and removing it was truly nothing at all...plus you'll most likely be out of it and numb from the epidermal if they give you one, if not, piece of cake! :-)
Unread 02-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Catheter!?!? eeek!

Like most of you, having the catheter in was no discomfort at all, even tho I was skeeved out by the notion.
But am I the only one who found the removal to be unpleasant? It was over quickly, but I felt a really sharp pinch. It was enough to make me yelp, and the nurse seemed surprised. Not to worry anyone who's facing surgery; just curious if anyone else found removal uncomfortable.
Unread 02-25-2012, 07:39 AM

Having the catheter in was uncomfortable for me whenever the pain meds starting wearing off. I felt an urgent need to pee. She tried to adjust it, but it just made everything worse. So, she ended up getting the ok from the doc to remove it early. She had to "inject" a bunch of measured fluid (to ensure I was emptying out my bladder since she knew how much was going in) before I was allowed to have it removed, which just made the need to pee even more urgent and uncomfortable. After she pulled it out (which I was surprised to find was not painful at all), I had to wait 5 minutes to pee. She had me brush my teeth to take my mind off of it. And, thankfully, I peed like a champ.

I was really happy to find that the catheter didn't hurt like I thought it would. Peeing afterward wasn't the most comfortable thing to do, but it wasn't outright painful or anything. My biggest complaint about it was that it made me feel like I had a full bladder. My mom was the same way, so I wonder if it's just how our bladders are made.
Unread 02-25-2012, 11:33 AM

I forgot about the UTI. I'm going to have cranberry juice as soon I'm done with my surgery and a supply at home.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register