Bowel Prep-Straw or Chug? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel Prep-Straw or Chug? Bowel Prep-Straw or Chug?

Unread 02-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Bowel Prep-Straw or Chug?

Surgery 7am 2/22, and have to do the prep tomorrow with the citrate. Is it better to dink thru a straw or just chug it? I know it wont have to work too hard as after my pre-opp today DH took me to Steak & Shake for lunch and...well they must have put some of that in my burger :-( !! I have already put the stuff in the fridge too!

Thanks for the input!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Re: Bowel Prep-Straw or Chug?

I had my bowel prep drink today, and it was rough. IMO, chug it as quickly as you can. I mixed mine with water. I ended up with 2 full glasses. I chugged down one glass and then 1/2 hour later chugged the 2nd. It was horrible, and I was afraid it would come back up. I would have rather done an enema.

Wish I could be more encouraging with that drink, but for me, it was best to just get it down quickly.
Unread 02-20-2012, 08:43 PM

Chug it with a straw! It is horrible tasting, so get the straw as far back in your mouth as you can and drink it down as fast as you can. That stuff is bad, and the taste lingers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2012, 08:47 PM

I would suggest just drinking it down. It does not taste real good (if they have to say "tasty" on the bottle, you know that it isn't!). Have lots of water to get rid of the taste.

Good luck with your surgery. We will be waiting for you on the other side.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 02-20-2012, 10:44 PM

I prefer to chug it, followed quickly by a chaser of juice (or broth). It's no taste treat, that's for sure. Also, strong mint gum chewed beforehand can numb your tastebuds. Best to just "get it done". Above all, do not sip slowly! Best of luck.
Unread 02-21-2012, 01:36 AM

Ugh! I had over a gallon of nastiness to get down. One 8 oz. glass every 10 min. They promissed me that it would start working in under an hour.... but no! My slow system decided to take OVER 1 1/2 hrs. Talk about an achy bloated tummy! Only problem I'm having now, in the wee hours of the morning just before my surgery, is the feeling that the stuff is still trying to work. I'm afraid to go to sleep!
Unread 02-21-2012, 09:57 AM

I chugged it! My sugery was 16th of Feb so had to do the Citroma (I did grape) on the 15th. Took an hour to work on me, got very sick on stomach and took a dramamine. Worked all night and the next morning right before surgery. Didn't think I would ever get thru going to restroom. Good Luck with it. Your on downside run, it's all fixin to be over and on the way to recovery!!
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:04 AM

Thanks all! I had they Cherry flavor-very cold and VERY sour! Like sour gummy candies. Actually not too bad! Now to wait for results!
Unread 02-21-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkshel View Post
Ugh! I had over a gallon of nastiness to get down. One 8 oz. glass every 10 min.
Same for me. I chose to use 2 straws. Went down fast and a lot of it skipped the taste buds.
Unread 02-21-2012, 02:10 PM

I chugged with no straw..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register