Not Scheduled Fibroids and Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids and Hysterectomy Fibroids and Hysterectomy

Unread 02-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Fibroids and Hysterectomy

I have a fibroid that is 13.9cm x 12.8cm x 12.5 cm. My uterus is 22.5cm x13.5cm x14.1. I will be scheduled for an open hysterectomy in a couple weeks. I attempted to inquire about having it done laproscopic and was referred to GYN/Onc because the fibroid is so large and they are used to removing large fibroids...but they do not take my insurance so I would have to travel pretty far-so I have decided to stick with my OB/GYN's practice. I have been having horrible back and pelvic pain and pressure. I am so ready.....I think. I'm looking forward to talking to other women who have had or are considering having a hysterectomy to remove them. I'm very nervous about the actual surgery. I'm 48 years old this year. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Re: Fibroids and Hysterectomy

I had a laparascopic surgery so I can't comment on the TAH surgery, but mine was for removal of multiple fibroids and a couple other issues. I am THRILLED to have the uterus and fibroids gone, just wish I had done it earlier. I had my surgery 4weeks ago and do not miss the pelvic pain and pressure (from a combination of fibroids and ovarian cysts), plus love the thought that I will never have a period again You will find a ton of good resources here, from current and older posts, as to what to expect with your specific surgery - I think the key in preparing for any of these surgeries is the preparation for the recovery period, having help at the house, loose fitting pants/comfortable clothing, etc etc. Best of luck to you, trust me you will not miss those fibroids!!!!
Unread 02-21-2012, 07:15 PM

I had a TAH with my ovaries removed. I had a fibroid that was the equivalent to being 19 weeks pregnant, and an endometrioma the size of a softball. As well, my doctor excised the endometriosis that was there.

I was definitely sore and tired, but I felt much better at every step of the way than I thought I would. I stopped all narcotics after 44 hours, and went without pain medication after the first week, except on the occasional day when I did too much.

I was able to get around and take care of myself from the beginning, but my DH had to do all the carrying tasks - laundry, getting food from the deep-freeze, and those sorts of things.

What surprised me was how extreme the fatigue was. When it hit, I could not stay awake, and for the first month, I slept 12 or 13 hours a day. I felt better at 2 weeks than I did at 4 weeks, but then things got gradually better. At 6 weeks, I was given an all-clear to resume regular activities, and I returned to work at 7 weeks.

I feel better now than I have in a long time. I didn't have a great deal of pain before the surgery, although the pressure was having an impact on my bowels and causing a lot of back pain. Now, things are much better. I'm enjoying my job, I'm back at the gym, and I need never worry about another period!

Take care. I hope your recovery goes well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeatree View Post
I have a fibroid that is 13.9cm x 12.8cm x 12.5 cm. My uterus is 22.5cm x13.5cm x14.1. I will be scheduled for an open hysterectomy in a couple weeks. I attempted to inquire about having it done laproscopic and was referred to GYN/Onc because the fibroid is so large and they are used to removing large fibroids...but they do not take my insurance so I would have to travel pretty far-so I have decided to stick with my OB/GYN's practice. I have been having horrible back and pelvic pain and pressure. I am so ready.....I think. I'm looking forward to talking to other women who have had or are considering having a hysterectomy to remove them. I'm very nervous about the actual surgery. I'm 48 years old this year. Thanks!
I have cervical fibriods along with abnormal bleeding. I know the pain you are having. I'm scheduled to have a hysterectomy tomorrow morning. I'm having a TVH ( Total Vaginal Hysterectomy ). They didn't tell me how big mine are, now i'm curious to know. The Hosp. I have to goto is an hour drive.
Unread 02-22-2012, 02:56 PM

I was scheduled for a da Vinci with a possible abdominal due to many large fibroids, cysts and polyps. I'm 46yo. I was able to stay with the da Vinci even after discovering my uterus was the size if a six month pregnancy and it weighed an enormous 11.6 lbs. my surgery took almost 5 hours. My DR felt I was healthy enough and wanted to save me an open procedure. My incisions are a bit larger than most but I came through with flying colors. I'm 5 months out now and beyond happy with how I feel. I'm on HRT and I am joyful and spunky and sexy and 30 lbs lighter. I am no longer anemic and am pain free. Sex is fabulous. You will be a new person no matter the type of surgery, it's just that life changing. Good luck to you and take care.
Unread 02-26-2012, 07:04 PM

Thank you for sharing! I go this Friday to my GYN to schedule the surgery. It's wonderful to find a website where I can share what's going on. Also thinking about Kitty75 since this is a few days after her surgery-looking forward to hearing the outcome. I will keep you all posted! Sharona19....thank you...love the post...you sound like a new person! One quick question...did your abdominal pain worsen during different days of the months? It seems like just after my period I have a short 7-10 day period where it's not too bad but then ugh!! Also if I overeat even slightly I feel like my belly is more distened.
Unread 02-26-2012, 10:54 PM

Out of the month, I'd have about 5-6 days where I'd be "normal" and almost pain free. The rest of the time just plain sucked. I bloated horribly and had stupendous low back pain. I had diarrhea each day of my 7-10 day, twice a month periods. Yes, I ate very small potions because I felt to full to eat. My periods were extremely painful. I bled through super plus tampons and overnight pads before an hour was up. I was as white as a ghost due to anemia and had zero energy paired with those fantastic hormonal swings. So, post op, I am an entirely new person absolutely! Aside from losing close to 130lbs, this is by far the best thing I've done for my health. I wish you the best.
Unread 02-26-2012, 11:03 PM

Likeatree, I had my TAH due to an extremely enlarged uterus that was filled with fibroids "too many to count" is what my ultrasound showed. I had lower back pain, extremely long and painful periods, bladder issues and bowel issues. It seemed like the week before my cycle I got really bloated and could even see my uterus resting on my pelvis when I laid down. Those days were somewhat painful. It was always accompanyed by flu like symptoms. The real pain was the first 5 days of my cycle. Whenever I ate, I got bloated. I had about 8 days per month when I wasn't coming off or preparing to come on my cycle. I am now 6 weeks post op and feel better than ever! No more scheduling activities around my free 8 days. No more pain. I can wear cute panties! I can get a regular exercise regiment going and not have to skip working out for fear of an accident.

I originally wanted a myomectomy but with so many fibroids, my doctor didn't think I should go through such a lengthy surgery due to the amount of blood I could loose. I am so happy with the outcome.

Best wishes to you as you schedule your date and start preparing.
Unread 02-28-2012, 11:23 PM

Thank you ladies. Sharona how did you lose 130lbs? I'm hoping to loose a few after surgery. Novelist123 I can relate to having to schedule things around your good days. Last year we decided to take a long overdue vacation to Myrtle Beach and of course my period didn't come as planned and it started the 1st day of my vacation...and didn't end until I was back home a couple days-it was terrible...could not enjoy myself especially because of the gushing and having to stay close to a bathroom. I was thinking about taking out stock on feminine produts lol. My other issue is bladder pressure-if I sneeze I leak, it's so gross-I wear pads for this also. I feel naked when I don't have a pad on...it's pretty scary to think I would ever feel that way! As you can see I have been thinking a lot about how my quality of life has changed and I think I'm ready. I will post after I see my doctor on Friday! Thanks for listening!
Unread 02-28-2012, 11:53 PM

I ended up in the ER with uncontrolled vomiting and was diagnosed with gallbladder issues. I also was found to have a cholesterol of 300 and I weighed 265 lbs. The DR was a friend and handed me 15 dollars and told me to buy the book Reversing Heart Disease by Dean Ornish, M.D. I did and changed my way of eating the very next day. I lost 42lbs the first month. The program is extremely strict. It is based on an ultra low fat (10 grams/day) vegetarian diet. For me, it was the easiest thing to do-I was so ready and just needed a medical scare to wake me up. I thank God for that $15 gift. I've kept the weight off since 1995. The weight loss and hyster both changed my life. I also got braces on my teeth at age 38 and had them on for 5 years. I was truly a train wreck. I'm so blessed to be the me I am now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register