Not Scheduled Fibroids and Hysterectomy - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids and Hysterectomy Fibroids and Hysterectomy

Unread 02-29-2012, 06:24 AM
Re: Fibroids and Hysterectomy

oh wow reading all of yall and im sitting here thinking YES!!!! i feel the same way and now i know im not alone,
i know how you feel with back/pelvis pain and really all over pain.

im mostly tired of looking like im 5-6 months preg. when im not and cant.
im having my surgery march 19th and scared until then.im having a TAH and he is going in and just gut me. im scared of the pain and im afraid how its going to be.
but im glad you posted as everyone on this whole website its a true blessing for me and i am so glad i found my way here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2012, 07:46 AM

I am 49 years old and I too had large fibroids/a 20 week gestation sized uterus. Had an abdominal incision/hysterectomy, they left my ovaries. The surgery was 3 weeks ago. Every step of the way was fine: pain controlled due to meds, catheter was a gift the day of surgery due to not wanting to move!, but came out easily and without pain the morning after. I started stool softeners by a couple of days after surgery, drank alot of fluids, but took almost a week before going to the bathroom. Although I am still healing, rest alot, and am still pretty homebound, I do small amounts of driving, and light housework. I pee about 1/8 of the times per day I used to before the surgery! I already know this surgery was worth it, and I will be much better in the end. Make sure you allow yourself enough time off of real life to recover well. Over-doing it is not an option! Good luck with your surgery and recovery. Take care of yourself!
Unread 02-29-2012, 08:57 AM

Laroca62, Thanks for sharing. I am encouraged. How long did you stay in the hospital? I know each person is different but I am curious, I'm sure my Doctor will tell me on Friday but to hear it from someone who just had the surgery would help. Also I am not sure about ovary removal or not, I'm sure this will also be discussed. It seems many women keep their ovaries but I really don't now why-I'm sure there must be a benefit. I have also been told I have a small cyst in 1 ovary I wonder if this could be an issue? Oh so many questions! Thank you for your kind words!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2012, 09:12 AM

crazyinlife, I know what you mean about finding this website-I'm not even sure how I stumbled across it but thank God I did. There are things I shared on here that I haven't shared with anyone. I was feeling so alone with these crazy symptoms. The first day I found this website I was reading everything!! I was so amazed others were experiencing the same things that I was. I look forward to hearing about your surgery and post-op. Like Sharona19...we will also be new women!!!!!! Most importantly I thank God for His peace!
Unread 02-29-2012, 09:38 AM

To likeatree: The dr had told me to expect 2 days in the hospital, but my surgery went really well, by the next day the catheter was out, the IV was out, so there was no reason to stay. I went home by end of the day, the day after the surgery. I rested much better at home without all the nighttime checks for vitals etc. I was allowed to do 1 flight of stairs a day, and I respected that.
Regarding ovaries: I felt the same dilemma pre-op. I preferred to go through menopause with them instead of having it brought on surgically. My dr advised me to let her have a good look while she's in there, if they look at all questionable she'd remove them, otherwise let them stay. So that's what happened - 1 was tiny due to an ovarian cyst removal years ago, and the other looked very good. so they stayed. It's a tough call, and I understand your ambivalence. see what your dr recommends.
Make sure you have support when you get home - people you live with, friends, neighbors. The meals people brought were unbelievably helpful. One of my friends went to the supermarket for me recently. It's hard to be on the receiving end of all that giving, but I'm trying to just let it happen. I know I will be there for these wonderful people when they need something, and right now, I just want to get better and be strong and healthy.
Keeping reading this website too! it's really great to connect with all these women and all this great information!
Good luck!
Unread 02-29-2012, 10:51 PM

I had large fibroids also and my dr was unsure if he could do the hysterectomy laproscopically luckily he was able to do it once he got inside to take a look. I had relief right away upon waking up from surgery, no more back pain and pressure. Best thing I ever did. I wasn't ready to have it done - I still wanted another baby- but had I waited any longer it would have been a more involved surgery. I've never felt better since I had it done. It will be worth it in the end. Good luck sister- hugs to you!
Unread 03-01-2012, 02:47 PM

Thanks for the encouraging words! I go tomorrow to talk to the GYN Surgeon and schedule a surgery date. I'm curious to see what he is going to say. I will share tomorrow.
Unread 03-11-2012, 08:04 PM

I met with my doctor and my surgery date is April 26th. I need an abdominal hysterectomy due to the size of the fibroid and we are still discussing the ovaries. I also need to have an "MMK" which is something to do with stress urinary incontinence-a procedure they will do while I'm under-I'm still looking into what this is. He is also running labs that include an LDH isoenzyme-some sort of tumor marker. I wanted to share that my ultrasound shows 1 huge fibroid but he says that it is highly unlikely that there is only one. This one fibroid has me with a 22 week uterus but my primary practitioner told me you don't know what's behind there...anyone been told something similar? Also I had a melt down at the OB/Gyn office-my experience with OB has not always been the best-I have had to endure some losses so every time I go I am nervous. It also didn't help that I had my period with horrible cramping and he had to do an internal which I didn't prepare myself for and it HURT and it was gross! Thanks for listening!
Unread 03-12-2012, 05:32 AM

likeatree, im sorry for how bad your feeling but i can relate also to the big size and huge fibroid, my surgery is the 19th and getting closer,yikes, im having a TAH and he is taking everything, im so scared and cry for no reason and well i feel like im having all kinds of emotions all at once all the time,lol
im not sure about what else your having but everyone here seems to be awsome at support and info.
i hope you get some answers and try not to stress to much
(* i know easier said then done *)
sending hugs your way
Unread 03-12-2012, 07:24 AM

Hi Likeatree,

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 3 weeks ago for the removal of a very large fibroid, the size of a melon!! (the uterus at normal size is usually the size of a pear so my uterus was extremely distended!! - I looked pregnant). I kept my ovaries and cervix.

I stayed in hospital for 4 days, could have gone home sooner but felt it was better to build myself up a bit first.
Was out of the bed on Day 2 and had cathether removed.
Was off major pain meds on Day 2 and just took paracetamol after that.
Incision, which is at bikini line is long - circa 10 inches but it is very neat and healing well. Similar to incision for C section but longer.
My soreness is above the incision in the tummy muscles. The tummy is battered and bruised quite a bit in surgery so this soreness is very normal. Some swelling there too.
I find that at week 3 I am more tired than I was in week 1 and 2 but in some ways I think the body was really worked up for the surgery and the adrenilin flowing takes a while to ease off Just my theory.

The pain I had expereinced in my side for years has gone.
My kidneys are working better (fibroid was pressing on them)
And....... aside from the slight swelling above my incision - MY TUMMY IS FLATTER - Hoorah

Best wishes to all who are getting ready for surgery.

Kallinda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register