Not Scheduled Fibroids and Hysterectomy - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids and Hysterectomy Fibroids and Hysterectomy

Unread 03-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Re: Fibroids and Hysterectomy

Thanks Kallinda and Crazyinlife! I love this website and have been so encouraged by your posts. Crazyinlife you will do fine and feel so much better as Kallinda has posted. I will keep you in my prayers! Kallinda you said that your kidneys are working better (fibroid was pressing on them) and that is wonderful news. My doctor wants to perform bladder surgery while I'm having the TAH because he says I have stress incontinence which is not related to the fibroid. I find it hard to believe that the huge fibroid is not causing this problem, so my question is what were your kidney problems (if you don't mind sharing)? If any others have any input I would greatly appreciate it. I have to have some bladder studies done in a couple weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2012, 10:18 PM

Likeatree,
I read your post last week and didnt respond (pre-op) I am now post-op. I too was told I needed a TAH due to Fibroids & ovarian cycts.They said my fibroids were 10cm, 8cm & 5cm.The surgery went well. I get mirgrains which kept me in the hospital all week. I had my surgery Monday March 12th I came home last night Thursday. I was told by the surgeon she took 4 softball sized fibroids out 1 on the outside of my uterous and too many more to count smaller, they found endometriosis & 1 cyst on my overy that the drained and left, I already feel so much better. I just need to heal but I am so happy with how good I feel.

I hope you feel better. I will pray for your surgery and recovery.

Allison
Unread 03-17-2012, 02:47 PM

I had a fibroid almost as big as yours. My OB/GYN told me that b/c of where it was located, he would need to do a TAH. It ended up being a good thing I had a TAH rather than vaginal or laproscopic, because when he got me open, he discovered the fibroid had grown since my last ultrasound. It had spread into other parts of my pelvic area including the cervix and rectum. He told my husband that half way through the surgery he was wishing someone else was doing the surgery because of how complicated it was to get all of the fibroid out.

He also discovered endometriosis on one of my ovaries and ended up taking it out. I'm not sure he would have been able to see and do all that if I had had vaginal or laproscopic surgery.

Best wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2012, 02:53 PM

I am new here, have the same issues, going in for biopsy on Monday. Scared. My surgery is scheduled for April 6th.
Unread 03-17-2012, 03:13 PM

I also had fibroids. I had several that were 3-4 cm. I had them in all 3 positions of my uterus. I had a sub total Hyst. I had an excellent surgery process. I had my surgery on a Monday and was released from the hospital on Saturday. I was walking the day after my surgery. It was a good experience for me. It was far from what I expected.

Pain control within the hospital was awesome. Trying to do it on my own now is a little more difficult. I am taking Tramcet but I don't find it very good.

My bowels are causing me the most grief. Prior to a bowel movement I get a lot of sharp pains, almost enough to take my breath away.
Unread 03-17-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallinda View Post
Hi Likeatree,

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 3 weeks ago for the removal of a very large fibroid, the size of a melon!! (the uterus at normal size is usually the size of a pear so my uterus was extremely distended!! - I looked pregnant). I kept my ovaries and cervix.

I stayed in hospital for 4 days, could have gone home sooner but felt it was better to build myself up a bit first.
Was out of the bed on Day 2 and had cathether removed.
Was off major pain meds on Day 2 and just took paracetamol after that.
Incision, which is at bikini line is long - circa 10 inches but it is very neat and healing well. Similar to incision for C section but longer.
My soreness is above the incision in the tummy muscles. The tummy is battered and bruised quite a bit in surgery so this soreness is very normal. Some swelling there too.
I find that at week 3 I am more tired than I was in week 1 and 2 but in some ways I think the body was really worked up for the surgery and the adrenilin flowing takes a while to ease off Just my theory.

The pain I had expereinced in my side for years has gone.
My kidneys are working better (fibroid was pressing on them)
And....... aside from the slight swelling above my incision - MY TUMMY IS FLATTER - Hoorah

Best wishes to all who are getting ready for surgery.

Kallinda

How does your belly feel around the incision? Mine is really hard on one side and it has me worried. :ugh

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register