DaVinci with a vaginal removal? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

DaVinci with a vaginal removal? DaVinci with a vaginal removal?

Unread 02-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Re: DaVinci with a vaginal removal?

I also had the Davinci & my cervix & uterus were removed via the vagina. To be honest with you I really didn't know that till about a week later.

But 2 weeks?? No way I had a great great doctor & I can take a lot of pain but I was no where near ready for work in 2 weeks. People need to remember that its not just your body healing, but there are emotions involved as well. Its not like getting your galbaldder out. But good luck to you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2012, 01:13 AM

Hi Ladies!
I'm glad to have found this thread. I'm scheduled for a DaVinci, and I haven't yet decided if I want to keep my cervix. The doctor automatically said he would like to do the surgery that way, but since I've not ever had an abnormal pap, I'm not sure that's what I want. And I've heard people were happy with both keeping their cervix and not keeping it, so I'm torn. However, if I were to decide to let the doctor go with his initial plan to take the cervix, he said everything would come out through the vagina. That being said, either way, my doctor told me that he advises all his DaVinci patients to expect to take at least 4 weeks off work. He said that often you may feel great after a week or so, but inside your body still has a lot of healing to do, and it can be easy to over-do or exhaust yourself. And, as I've read several ladies' postings here on the site, you really do only have one chance to heal properly. If doctor says to expect to need 4 weeks, I'm taking 4. I'm glad he's not buying into the 2 week ideal.
Best of luck with your surgery, and good health to you!
Unread 02-22-2012, 07:57 AM

I too am having DaVinci and my doctor said she will try and remove the uterus and cervix vaginally, but I've never had a vaginal delivery and I have LS, so I may not be large enough to accomedate this. She wants to attempt a vaginal removal because she says it greatly reduces the recovery time. She told me each patient is different, but that you are usually feeling yourself at 2 to 3 weeks post surgery and able to do most of your normal activities other than lifts and exercising.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2012, 08:18 AM

Had the Da Vinci on 1/31. I feel not one drop of pain in my vaginal canal at all. All the soreness is in my abdomin area..

These doctors amaze me!! I love my doc. He said from the get go six weeks minimum. He said no matter how less invasive the surgery may be on the outside with smaller incisions, that major organs were still being removed and my vaginal cuff needs to heal correctly..

I am 3 weeks post op and could never have went back to work last week.. You fight for at least 4 weeks off.. That is just BS. Vaginal birth requires 6 weeks and that is less invasive than this surgery..

It boggles my mind the difference in some doctors opinions. But hey, if you dont heal right and God forbid need a cuff repair or what have you, more money in their pocket I guess..

Fight for more time off. You wont regret it..
Unread 02-22-2012, 08:32 AM

And also it is just one surgery going threw the vagina.. Not two..
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:40 AM

Hi..you can go on you tube and watch a DaVinci hysterectomy...it is pretty cool. I had a total hyst with the davinci and was very pleased with my recovery...but I think you need at least 3 to 5 weeks off from work...everyone is different.
Unread 02-29-2012, 02:42 PM

They removed my uterus through the incision in my side i asked my doctor i had the Davinci as well and they took nothing out my vagina but i also had a bladder sling put in as well they told me they coned out my cervix and i asked whats that she said that she just shaved it and made it more pretty? But they did keep my ovaries but i still went into a menopause they did put me on a hormone because of night sweats..i hope this helps out
Unread 02-29-2012, 07:21 PM

I am SO gald to see this thread-it's exactly what I was going to ask! I am having RALH, but my dr. is removing everything vaginally. I started second-guessing whether this is correct, but it is.

My dr. told me 2 weeks, but the disability paperwork was written for 4-6 weeks. I am planning on at least 4 weeks. I have a friend who went back at 2 weeks with no problem-she works for the same company as I do. That doesn't seem to be the norm, though.
Unread 02-29-2012, 07:24 PM

To be honest if the doctor hadn't told me that is how she removed everything, I would never have known. I don't have any pain from it. My pain is at the spots on my tummy.
Unread 02-29-2012, 11:42 PM

I had DaVinci Uterus and Cervix removed and I had them removed vaginally...
It did not take me too long to heal except for the exhaustion...
Quick healing..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register