Scheduled dVH/RALH What else do I need? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What else do I need? What else do I need?

Unread 02-21-2012, 07:14 PM
What else do I need?

What else do you think I might need?

What I do have:
  • We have a sleep number bed that reclines at the head and feet. I have my mom's chair that I can sit up in or lay flat and it will lift me up to a stand position. She left me set up pretty good. She told me to keep all her little gadgets too.
  • - the picker upper thing
  • -the blue strap thing to do leg lifts with little use of my stomach muscles.
  • -I just got new pillows so I have extra pillows so I can have those if I need too.
  • I'm getting the fan that I found on the Brookstone site, that cools the bed between the sheets for those lovely "power surges" and night sweats. $79
  • Have the TV remote,
  • -Cellphone,
  • -Laptop
  • -dorm fridge
  • -Ice packs
  • -heating pad
  • -the blackout curtains ready
  • -New Jammie bottoms from Old Navy $10-12/pr.
  • -a few mags to keep me company
  • -And the dog is getting a bath, she's going to be my snuggle buddy for those weepy days.
  • I even a book on the iPad.
    Even have my Starbucks vivas in the freezer. .
    And tea

I hope I'm ready for this and I have 21 days to make sure the house is in order Ah Spring cleaning. :b
and the meals are in the freezer.

Pre-op is Friday morning @ 7:30 a.m.

Can anyone think of anything else I should do or get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Re: What else do I need?

I love how prepared you are. I think you've thought of everything - recovery should be a breeze. You've got all the comforts and everything at your fingertips - remember to slow down and rest, rest, rest during recovery. good luck and keep us posted!
Unread 02-21-2012, 09:08 PM

Carol,
You are so organized and well prepared! My favorite thing was a small pillow that I used to support my abdomen. I had it in the car for the ride home - it helped when going over bumps. I slept with it too - it sure made moving around easier. Good luck and don't overdo - get lots of rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2012, 09:15 PM

Did either one of you use the belly binder? I was wondering about those. :/
Unread 02-21-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple16 View Post
Carol,
You are so organized and well prepared! My favorite thing was a small pillow that I used to support my abdomen. I had it in the car for the ride home - it helped when going over bumps. I slept with it too - it sure made moving around easier. Good luck and don't overdo - get lots of rest.
I'm with Apple16 on the pillow. I bought a small travel pillow at Walmart for about $3.00 and it's the best thing I bought. Put on your belly for ride home in the car (under the seat belt) and found it very comforting the whole time in the hospital and at home on the couch. Also very helpful if you are a side sleeper to support your belly with. I find it best to lay pillow next to me while laying on my back and then I kind of roll sideways onto it and have it under my belly. It really helped me sleep that first week. I am two weeks post-op tomorrow and I am still using it and carry it back and forth from bedroom to couch! Good luck!
Unread 02-21-2012, 09:33 PM

Carole Anne:
I didnt use the belly binder, but I had the Davinci so didnt have abs cut really. My blue jeans are my belly binder After wearing them for several hours sometimes i have to unzip cuz the tightness gets to me. You get a swelly belly that for me, is bigger than before i went in for the hyst (with a huge fibroid). Sounds like you are well prepared!!
Unread 02-21-2012, 09:34 PM

I did not use a belly binder. Just as Darlac59 said, that little pillow supports your belly well if you are a side sleeper - which I am! I think I used my pillow for a good 4 weeks! It got to be a habit, and felt good to know I had that support. It also helps to hold you belly when you have to laugh!
Unread 02-21-2012, 09:49 PM

I do like having support around my tummy - it feels better to me. I still had the tummy belt from previous pregnacy which I wore. I also like wearing the camisole tops with lycra under my shirts - it makes moving around smoother, I think - doesn't feel like things are so loose inside the tummy.-
Unread 02-21-2012, 11:20 PM

WOW I should of came to your house after my hyst!
Your bed sounds amazing!! I did not have a belly binder either. I did need a lot of stretch pants for the house & at least 2 "nice" pair to wear when you feel up to going out.

For some odd reason I could not get into reading (I love to read) or looking at mags almost like I could not concentrate on it for the first almost 4 weeks.
I'd say your pretty well set...just get yourself some bathroom wipes for the night before if you have to do a bowel flush. Good luck!
Unread 02-22-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple16 View Post
I did not use a belly binder. Just as Darlac59 said, that little pillow supports your belly well if you are a side sleeper - which I am! I think I used my pillow for a good 4 weeks! It got to be a habit, and felt good to know I had that support. It also helps to hold you belly when you have to laugh!
Yes! LOL! Definitely used the pillow for laughing, coughing, sneezing. I love my little pillow!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register