pre op appointment | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pre op appointment pre op appointment

Unread 02-21-2012, 08:46 PM
pre op appointment

I have an appointment March 1 with the scheduling dept. at my doctors. I think it is to sign papers.I haven't heard anything about pre op. When does that usually happen and what sould I expect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Re: pre op appointment

I can tell you what happened at my pre-op at the hospital. I signed a bunch of papers and got all the general paperwork taken care of so that nothing had to be done the day of surgery (I was not allowed to bring ID, purse, or anything of value with me to the hospital). I then was taken back into an exam room, and they took blood for multiple tests, did an EKG (I am 46), did blood pressure, and took my weight and height. The nurse and I were chatting about my surgery the whole time, but then the nurse said that I had to verbally tell her what surgery I was going to have. It was required by the hospital.

(((Hugs))) to you..
Unread 02-21-2012, 09:55 PM

Hey Want to Talk,

I believe marestail is right on the money!
I didnt have the ekg but I was also 33 with no history of problems related to my heart. Pretty standard stuff. Good luck with your surg. Wishing you a speedy recovery and keep us posted.

Keep positive and keep posting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2012, 09:59 PM

Pre-op appointments with your doctor usually occur within one week of the scheduled surgery. They give you detailed prep information like what you can have / not the couple days prior, what to expect following surgery etc. You probably have learned a lot from this site, but you will get specialized information for you. You may or may not actually speak with your doctor at your pre-op. I spoke with my Dr's nurse. That was probably more beneficial for me as she talked more about what to expect than he would have.

At my initial appt we did a scheduling of my surgery, I got the impression that some people came in for that appt separate from the initial review / meeting. I had been referred by another Dr who had previously consulted with my surgery Dr on my case and I got the impression that sped up some things. So you may just be selecting what type surgery and options you are wanting. If you have multiple hospitals, you will probably be asked to select which hospital you are going to use. You may be asked to schedule pre-op tests with the hospital too, like marestail described. I also had a CT scan we had to schedule prior to the surgery, and that was scheduled during the scheduling appt. Sounds like you will be dealing with the business office of your doctor.

Hope this helps, Good Luck!
Unread 02-22-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by want to talk View Post
I have an appointment March 1 with the scheduling dept. at my doctors. I think it is to sign papers.I haven't heard anything about pre op. When does that usually happen and what sould I expect?
I got my pre-op appt scheduled a few days after I saw my dr and made the appt date to have the surgery. Good Luck.
Unread 02-22-2012, 02:35 PM

the only thing i would advice is to think about (when signing papers) is when my dr talked about blood transfusion and gave me an option to bank some of my own blood - i wish i would of taken that option. because i did end up needing 2 pints of blood - i lost a lot of blood because my uterus was very large and surgery was longer then expected.

good luck and i hope you have a fast recovery!
Unread 02-22-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by want to talk View Post
Pre-op bloods are usually done a few days before surgery as well as ekg and chest xray. Type and cross match of your blood are usually done a day before. Very routine stuff. Good luck. I had my surgery 2 weeks ago.
Unread 02-22-2012, 07:41 PM

I had my PRE OP yesterday with the doctor and also at the hospital.

At the doctor's office, we discussed the surgery, what to expect, etc. (I posted about that here on the Pre Op boards if you want to read it)...

For the hospital, my doctor had ordered a Chest Xray and some labs (CBC, Urine Analysis, Urine Pregnancy Test and a Serum Pregnancy Test, and to have my blood typed and matched -- all routine). Upon arriving, I went to admissions. After that was done (ID, Insurance Card, and signing some papers), I saw the PRE OP Nurse.

With her, we went over medications, allergies, past surgeries, medical conditions and she gave me the details of when I would arrive at the hospital for surgery and discussed where to go when I arrived.

Because I have COPD, Diabetes, and Hypertension, she added a second chest x ray (side view), and an EKG and for the labs, she added a A1c so they'd have an idea of where my glucose levels were at before surgery.

I was told nothing by mouth after midnight - fluids or food and if I smoked - no smoking. The only thing I should take was my Advair for the COPD in the morning and a small sip of water to take my morning blood pressure pill... but nothing else. AND... if I do, the surgery could be cancelled.

The hospital PRE OP visit lasted not quite 2 hours - by the time everything was said and done.

Aside from a prick of a needle for labs, it's painless and moves rather quickly.

Good luck!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register