Scheduled LAVH Sharing about my PRE-OP Yesterday for Surgery tomorrow | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sharing about my PRE-OP Yesterday for Surgery tomorrow Sharing about my PRE-OP Yesterday for Surgery tomorrow

Unread 02-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Sharing about my PRE-OP Yesterday for Surgery tomorrow

I am scheduled for a LAVH and Left Salpingo Oophorectomy tomorrow.

Surprisingly, I am relatively calm right now. I had my PRE-OP appointments with the doctor and also at the hospital yesterday. At the doctor's office, I broke down crying and then at the hospital, I found myself laughing while having labs done.

My range of emotions are unpredictable right now, but as my doctor said yesterday, after the surgery, he will be starting me on hormone replacement therapy and in his opinion, I will probably start feeling 100% after that. As he explained to me, because of all the years of problems I've had in this department, I've most likely had extreme ups and downs in the emotional department. He said that is because depending on the time of month that a woman is at in her cycle, it depends on where the level of estrogen is at. And for some women, there is no normal range. He went on to tell me with the hormone replacement therapy, that my hormones will stay even all the time instead of once in a blue moon.

Because my right ovary was removed in 2009, a "band-aid" for still ongoing issues, he will perform a Left Salpingo Oophorectomy in addition to the LAVH.

He used a model of the reproductive area so I could visually see what and where he would be working.

The laproscopic part of the surgery is to go in and cut the ligaments that hold the ovary and fallopian tube in place. Once that is released, he said he will enter vaginally, make an incision and remove my uterus, cervix and such through the vagina. After everything is removed and he has made sure nothing is lingering, he will in laymen's terms, close the incision and sew the area shut. He went onto explain that the size of my vagina will not change and that when I am completely healed, aside from knowing I had surgery, I will not feel any different physically.

The reason I had a burst of laughing was despite the fact that there is the ultrasound and such that the doctor has already done, I had to have a urine pregnancy test as well as a serum pregnancy test. I had the ladies who work in the lab laughing because while I understand the reason they do it, it was kind of humorous to me that I needed a pregnancy test to have a hysterectomy. It seemed kind of absurd at the time... a form of an oxy-moron in my mind.

Today, my instructions are to just eat on the light side and get plenty of rest. Nothing after midnight fluid wise or food wise.

I do not have to do a bowel cleansing. My doctor said he felt that is an outdated method and saw no reason to do that to me.

Tomorrow, I report to hospital admissions at 930 am, and surgery is scheduled for 11 am. The PRE-OP Nurse told me that the doctor reserved the OR for 2 hours and Recovery for 1 hour, and then I will be moved to a private room.

My friend will be bringing my laptop for me to have after I am settled into the hospital room so that I have something to do when I wake up and either get bored or just can't sleep.... not to mention I am not a big television fan. But as I thought about it as well, I figured if I do log on later in the day or night, I can come here to HysterSisters and post about how I'm feeling in the Post-Op boards.

My diagnosis is Uterine Leiomyomas, and that the ultrasound showed 3 that were very defined, but is sure that many more are being hidden behind the 3 bigger ones that they saw on the ultrasound. He will send them all to pathology for a final check, but at this time feels that there is no form of cancer present. This is how he described he identified for the three that were very visible - 13 cm (about the size of a softball), 5 cm (about the size of a small orange) and 7 cm... slightly larger than the other one.

As for hormone replacement therapy, he explained that while taking it, he was obligated to tell me that there is a very small risk of developing breast cancer. I was glad he told me that, as my cousin is battling her 3rd round of breast cancer as I type this and many different forms of cancer run in my family. I asked him with this type of medical history with my family, does that increase the percentage of the risk of developing the breast cancer via the hormone replacement. He assured me that it did not.

I am not exactly certain as to when he will start the hormone replacement therapy, but for the numbers he gave (I can't recall the exact # off the top of my head, I'm sorry), I'm not worried about starting them. And, if it means that I will be more even keeled, then that's a plus as well.

We discussed pillows, as I didn't think I had one appropriate. I am going to bring one of my favorite sofa pillows with me to use as a belly pillow. And I will be bringing also my body pillow (which the doctor agreed on this) would allow me to lie on my side more comfortably if I want to get off my back while resting in bed. Both will have colored pillow cases on them (for identification and also to keep them clean).

I wanted to share a thought added in by my mother who is a nurse about any pillows brought to the hospital.

Choose a bright or colored pillowcase to put your pillows in. Hospitals use white sheets and pillow cases and blankets. You do not want your pillow, or pillow cases or blankets to be confused with hospital bedding so if you do bring a pillow or blanket, make sure it is bright or colored.

I hope this has helped others in some way with this share. I will post again most likely after I wake up from surgery and am mentally able to operate my laptop.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THE SUPPORT YOU'VE GIVEN... IT TRULY MEANS MORE TO ME THAN WHAT I CAN EXPRESS IN WORDS!!!! BIG BIG BIG HUGS TO YOU ALL!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Re: Sharing about my PRE-OP Yesterday for Surgery tomorrow

Sounds like you are in good hands with this doctor - I'm impressed at how much he described for you and is preparing you ahead of your surgery. The gamut of emotions is definitely normal! I also laughed the morning of my surgery when I had to pee for a pregnancy test, but as I type this, I feel kind of sad about that too. All those years I prevented pregnancy, then all those years it didn't happen for lots of other reasons, it was definitely my last pregnancy test either way. Best of luck to you and take good care
Unread 02-22-2012, 12:34 PM

One thing I didn't think to add - he said that this type of diagnosis is the primary reason that leads to hysterectomies.. but it is also a genetic predisposition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2012, 06:24 PM

Hi there!

Thank you so much for sharing this experience here. It's nice to hear how detailed your doc was. We will be anxious to hear how things go for you, so hopefully you will post in Post-Op to check in and keep in touch.

My best to you,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register