A strange question, but... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A strange question, but... A strange question, but...

Unread 01-04-2002, 10:44 AM
A strange question, but...

I know that many of you ladies have pets, so maybe you can help me out. I have a very sweet little Russian Gray cat who is a great companion to me, but loves to be on me all the time. I'm scared that post-op she will jump up on me in bed and land on my tender belly. Macy and our other Max are strictly indoors and both need lots of attention (Macy is asleep on my lap right now). I'm just looking for ideas to spare myself extra pain without banishing my sometimes rambunctious and always cuddly "babies" for several weeks.

Thanks!
Janet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2002, 11:04 AM

Hi Janet, I have two love bug kitties that always want to be on my lap or in my face, but you know, I think animals can sense things. They never jumped up on my lap during my recovery and I was in their favorite position alot of times, lying on the couch or sitting in my recliner. They came by and rubbed up against me, but never jumped on me or slept on me. They would sit by me, not on top of me, so try not to worry too much. Good luck with surgery and may you have a speedy painfree recovery. By the way, get someone to clean the litter box for you, no bending for a new princess!
Jan
Unread 01-04-2002, 11:15 AM
Hi

Hi Janet

I know what your going thru, but I only have 1 Siamese cat and she is very affectionate,(always has to be with me). I also have a dog but I had my boyfriend parents watch her.

Anywho, I am 7 1/2 weeks post and I was at the castle for 2 days, my first day home my cat Thalia had to be there. I think she sensed something was wrong, I only had one tummy attack with her and MAN did that hurt, she woke me out of a sleep. Unfortunately for me I suffered from insomnia for about 4 1/2 weeks so I kept an eye out for my kitty cat at night.

Sorry this is a long response, I'm just jabbering but what I did when she wanted to cuddle was sit up on the recliner with my legs up and put a pillow (not my tummy pillow) on my legs and she laid there peacefully as long as I was petting her or you can also did what I did, I kept my tummy pillow on my tummy at all times, that seemed to help when my kitty cat wanted closer to me. My pillow was my best friend, didn't go into another room without it, lol. Hope this helps. Good luck to you and take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2002, 11:20 AM
I didnt even think of that....

Hi I am so glad you brought that up I only have one but he weighs at least 12 lbs.!!!
He sleeps in my room on my bed and also loves to jump on me and lay on my tummy. His name is P.C. for Pats Cat, my son loves cats and it is his first. I guess he will have to sleep with my daughter for a while, but I am so glad you brought that to my attention....maybe you could buy some cat nip balls, P.C. LOVES them and ingnores everything around him when we give him one... and when you think he is getting ready to jump give your one to play with??? Just an idea! Good Luck with you puddy tat!!
Unread 01-04-2002, 11:26 AM

Hi Ladies,
I used a pillow. I lay a large bed pillow across my tummy when I am in bed. You can also put a pillow in your lap when sitting on the sofa. It's just what worked for me. Good Luck.
God Bless,
Sue
Unread 01-04-2002, 11:40 AM

Janet:

I have two kitties that love to sit on my lap and snuggle in the bed. I used a bed pillow on my lap while sitting in the recliner so that they wouldn't poke me in the belly

I used a body pillow in the bed and laid on my side up against it so there was no way kitties could get near the belly at night but could still snuggle in the bed other places.

Good luck in your surgery!

Betty
Unread 01-04-2002, 12:08 PM
wow

Well, the nurse told me no lifting my two sons (18 months and 2 1/2) but that it would be okay to put a pillow on my tummy and have them in my lap.
Soooo, perhaps I should rethink that?
Unread 01-04-2002, 01:01 PM
Snuggly cats

I have three all big (10+ pounds) and all very cuddley. I'm slowly weaning them off sleeping with me by closing the bedroom door for half the night, and I'm armed with several pillows in case one of them finds their way onto my belly.

I had a Lap about a year and a half ago and just put a pillow on my tummy when I was on the couch - when my cat would try to get up on me, I would just say a gentle "no" and she got the idea pretty quick. I've since gotten two more cats so we'll see how it goes

Good luck to you!
Heidi
Unread 01-04-2002, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the great feedback!!

Hey,
A big thanks to all of you for your feedback and ideas. I'll definitely keep the pillows nearby and try the catnip! I am amazed at how perceptive (and many pets) are - thinking back a few years I went through an episode with melanoma and my Sylvester (now gone) was by my side in a very protective way through it all.

No litter boxes for me---DD handles it plus vacuuming and dusting for her allowance!

Best wishes to all of you - this is such a terrific place to be!!

Janet
Unread 01-04-2002, 07:16 PM

I do think cats can sense things. Whenever I'm not feeling well, my cats are right there! A friend of mine is a Reiki Master and she says cats do natural Reiki (energy healing). I don't know if you believe in that or not, but a cat's purr sure is soothing. If you can find a way to keep her NEAR you, but not ON you, I think you'll both be happier for it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register