Scared about Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared about Surgery Scared about Surgery

Unread 01-04-2002, 10:58 AM
Scared about Surgery

Hello, and thank you for such a wonderful site. I am so excited that I have found such a wonderful group of ladies. I just really needed all of the hyster sister merchandise to feel so understood. I have put off having my hysterectomy for a year now and have suffered for it. I am just so scared about having the surgery (being put to sleep). My Mom and Aunts all have their crowns and I know it is time for mine. I just need some reassurance from you that all will go well. I have yet another appt. Monday 1-7-02 to discuss my fears etc. Please if someone has time get back with me with your wonderful advice. I just want to wake up after the surgery.
thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2002, 11:08 AM
Scared about Surgery

Hey, popcorn, glad you found the site. This group of women is the greatest. I was so scared before my surgery, I'd had other surgeries but they'd all been outpatient stuff I'd never had to stay in a hospital before. The waiting and the worrying before it's done is the hardest part. Several women in my life have already received their crowns too but that didn't make me feel any better ahead of time, I was still scared. Talk to your doctor about what you're worried about. Is there some reason you're scared you won't wake up after surgery?
Tomorrow is my one year anniversary from my hyst and I feel better than I have in a lot of years. It's wonderful to be free from the pain and the periods. There is some adjusting to be done after a hyst but I was lucky I found my hormonal balance pretty quickly. The important things to remember are that the waiting and worrying really IS the worst part, and to take care of yourself during your recovery time -- as the ladies here are fond of saying you only have one chance to heal right.
My other advice is to check in here at the website often you will learn all kinds of useful info!
Peachy
TAH/BSO 1/5/01
cyst, fibroids, endo, adeno, adhesions
.625 premarin, progesterone cream, vitamins
Unread 01-04-2002, 02:15 PM
Scared about Surgery

Hi, Popcorn,

If you're worried about having general anesthesia, please ask your doctor about spinal anesthesia with sedation, or epidural anesthesia. You may not need to be "put to sleep."

I had a vaginal hysterectomy under spinal anesthesia with sedation. The anesthesiologist injected "something to help me relax" into my IV in the preop area. I don't remember having the spinal catheter placed, I remember nothing about the surgery, and I don't remember having the spinal catheter removed, either. I had no nausea, no headache and no sore throat afterwards. Although I was never unconscious, I don't remember a thing. This is called "conscious sedation" and it was the best surgical experience I ever had.

This type of anesthesia can't be used for all surgeries, but if it is an option for you, it's certainly worth considering. I hope this helps.

princessh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2002, 03:26 PM
I was awake

I was awake during mine because I told the anesthesiologist it was ok for me to be awake after he put versed in my I.V. and I spoke up and said I was very dizzy. I don't think he gave me anymore and I do remember being awake the entire time. I didn't want the can't remember drugs and was glad I knew what was gonig on. Also because I didn't get general I didn't wake up so sick like most people do and didn't need oxygen in recovery. You didn't say what type of procedure you are having but if it's either abdominal or vaginal you may be given the option for a spinal epidural. It's really up to the anesthesiologist. You can read about my experience at this link. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=41676
Unread 01-12-2002, 07:49 PM
Scared about Surgery

Hi popcorn.

I had a LAVH/BSO on 12/11/01 and I did not have all the "terrible" side effects other women have had. I was too chicken to know what was going on so I WANTED to be asleep. My fear wasn't waking up but exactly what they were doing to me. I came out from under the anesthesia quickly and I was not sick after surgery. The worse part of the ordeal was the cather they had to put in me. I was eating regular food by lunch the next day. I have recovered well and feel better than I have in years. I wish you the best and will pray everything goes well for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register