When will it be safe to have sex? Specific situation. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When will it be safe to have sex? Specific situation. When will it be safe to have sex? Specific situation.

Unread 02-23-2012, 12:18 PM
When will it be safe to have sex? Specific situation.

I had a total laproscopic hysterectomy on January 11th. I went back to the doctor last week (5 weeks post-op) for my check-up. I went early, because I had to go back to work yesterday at 6 weeks post-op.
When my doctor did a vaginal exam (last week) he said everything was healing well, however, my vaginal cuff stitches still had not dissolved. He advised "no sex for a couple more weeks.' He does not want to see me for a follow-up for 12 months.
I know that SEX is a huge issue for everyone at this stage of recovery. I would like to get ALL feedback, good or bad, about things you ladies have experienced with having sex and a vaginal cuff. Particularly, I am in need of info about how soon you resumed sexual activity, complications, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Re: When will it be safe to have sex? Specific situation.

I would insist on another appt before resuming sex. Your cuff MUST be healed before any intercourse.
Unread 02-23-2012, 12:47 PM

I agree. I think I would insist on being seen at the 7 or 8 week mark. Everything being healed inside is so important.

I was cleared at 6 weeks and all was well, but the doc had looked and said it was ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2012, 01:52 PM

I am just a little curious. I did not have my cervix removed and I have had my post op visit at week 2. Doctor said all is healing great but I did not have an internal check and won't be having one. I had the DaVinci Robotic surgery and am doing great. Is it normal to not have an internal check as long as you kept your cervix?
Unread 02-23-2012, 02:31 PM

I agree with the other posters - I would insist on an appt before resuming sex, so that he can tell you if the stitches have healed by then, or not. I think it's irresponsible of the doc to tell you the stitches aren't healed, and then not give you a game plan. Good luck and hope all is healed asap!
Unread 02-23-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves to shop View Post
I am just a little curious. I did not have my cervix removed and I have had my post op visit at week 2. Doctor said all is healing great but I did not have an internal check and won't be having one. I had the DaVinci Robotic surgery and am doing great. Is it normal to not have an internal check as long as you kept your cervix?
Yes - that is definitely normal.
Unread 02-23-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinagrl42 View Post
I agree with the other posters - I would insist on an appt before resuming sex, so that he can tell you if the stitches have healed by then, or not. I think it's irresponsible of the doc to tell you the stitches aren't healed, and then not give you a game plan. Good luck and hope all is healed asap!
He did give me a game plan. He said that I should be fine in a couple of weeks. He said I did not need to be seen for 12 months. My question was if anyone had a similar situation and how it turned out or what they did. I was not questioning my doctor's capabilities.
Unread 02-23-2012, 03:22 PM

I was cleared at 7 weeks but at 5 weeks I was still passing a bit of blood from the stitches. The reason they are advising you to get another exam is you do not want to end up tearing the cuff. Since you are not schedule to be checked again I would wait at least 8 weeks and even then I would be very, very careful.
Unread 02-23-2012, 03:31 PM

Thank you for the reply.
Unread 02-23-2012, 03:56 PM

If it were me, I would certainly wait a full two weeks.

Take it slow and easy, be sure your the one in control. Being on top helped us as it gave me more control. You may experience some spotting and soreness the first few times, but that is pretty normal.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register