7 days post op told to stop pain meds | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

7 days post op told to stop pain meds 7 days post op told to stop pain meds

Unread 02-23-2012, 04:04 PM
7 days post op told to stop pain meds

Hi there I am a 33 mother or 3 boys. I had a TAH and the ovaries were removed along with a lot of scar tissue and endo. I was completely caught off guard and embarrased today by my pharmacy and doc I am not a pain med seeker. I don't enjoy taking the meds but frankly, I am in tears without them. I was first prescribed 5mg Lortab (plus refill) and it did nothing to help with pain. I called the doc after the first 2 days and asked for something different. He gave me 7.5 Lortab with a refill and told me to take 1-2 every 4-6 hours. I have done exactly what I was told this past week. I refilled my script yesterday and have 20ish pills left. I went to the doc the get my staples out today and the nurse did it. I told her that I was taking the meds 2 every 4-6 hrs and she said "good, stay on top of it." She asked if I needed more for the upcoming weekend and I said that I should still have the 5mg refill at the pharmacy if worse comes to worse. We left smiling and on the way home my husband decided we should make sure the script was still available and we told the pharmacist that we would pick it up in 2 days....Bells and whistles must have started going off after we left because I then got a phone call from a different pharmacist telling me not to bother coming in that she had called my doc and he decided to cancel the script. I called the doc who said the pharmacy told him that I had devoured 90 pills in 4 days (completely untrue) and he decided to cancel script. I was told to stop taking my spare meds ASAP....so much for being proactive I was told that the FDA regulates the amount of pills that I receive. Did I exceed a limit?

I am one week out of surgery and I have taken about 65 pills. I never deviated from the script and I am sad/hurt/confused. How long can I expect this pain to last and wtheck am I supposed to do with no more meds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Re: 7 days post op told to stop pain meds

I'm so sorry this happened to you! Absolutely ridiculous! You or your DH needs to stay on top of this terrible mix up until they get it sorted out!
Unread 02-23-2012, 04:31 PM

Are you sure you have taken that many pills??? It sounds like alot to me! Recheck those numbers and maybe go into and see Dr. again.
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2012, 05:21 PM

Based on your post, it does sound like a lot of pills in 4 days so I can see why your pharmacist and doctor are concerned.

You said you were taking Lortab 5 mg for the first 2 days. (You didn't say when that script was filled.) On day 2, which would have been around the 17th, you called the doctor because they weren't strong enough. You were given a new script for 7.5 mg Lortab which you filled. You then refilled that same script yesterday, the 22nd. Today you asked to fill a second script for 5 mg Lortab, though you told them you want it in 2 days.

The pharmacy is looking at the fact that they have given you 3 bottles of pills--and if you filled the first one after surgery you have gotten them all within a week--and you have already asked for a 4th bottle. They don't know how many pills you have in any of those bottles so they are assuming you have taken them all which would be a lot.

The FDA does regulate how many pills you get and you may have either hit the limit or have fallen within the amount that calls for extra caution and clarification. Lortab is highly addictive and excessive acetaminophen (Tylenol) can be toxic to your liver. You have gone through 65 in a week by your count, likely putting you at risk for both addiction and liver issues.

Also, because this med can be sold on the street, there can be extra scrutiny when a single patient uses a large amount in a short amount of time and/or has multiple scripts.

What did your doctor say on the phone when you explained? Did you share that the nurse told you to continue the meds which is why you asked the pharmacy for the 4th refill?

Unfortunately, without that doctor's approval you are not likely to get any more prescription meds. Trying a different doctor and/or pharmacy would only complicate the issue for you as your name is likely flagged and going else where will make it look like you are a drug seeker.

Have you tried using an over the counter product such as Ibuprofen? You might be surprised that it works, or will work when staged with other meds (talk to you doctor about which meds to stage).

Another thing to consider, if you are requiring pain meds around the clock you may be dealing with a complication or you may be overdoing it.

I am sure this is all very frustrating and I hope you can work something out with your doctor. in there!

Unread 02-23-2012, 05:41 PM

It sounds like you did take too much. I had a TAH a few months ago. After I felt a bit better, I took one pill every 6 hrs and eventually got to a pill twice a day. I even cut some in half. I would try this bc you prob aren't getting any more now, but if pain is bad, could there be an underlying issue? Have you talked with doc? Also, try adding a dose of ibuprofen between pain meds.
Unread 02-23-2012, 05:47 PM

I was concerned about Tylenol, too. I was told 4000 mg of Tylenol is the max per day and no alcohol. 2 extra strength are 1000 mg. Lortabs have Tylenol. The strength is the second number. The 7.5/350 have 350 mg each for example.
Unread 02-23-2012, 06:00 PM

Thank you all or your feed back. I did the math and according to the script directions I was complying but after looking further into it I think that I was taking WAY too much tylenol. Each pill has 500mg and the daily max is 4000mg. My script OK'd me to take upwards of 6000.I honestly had no idea. I had 3 little boys so the last thing that I need to do is overdose!!

I am just mortified. I definitely took the meds trying to stay "on top of the pain". The doctor had the nurse call me (the same one that told me to continue what I was doing.) I never directly spoke to him. He is definitely not a people person. He usually talks to my husband about his airplane because he knows my dh is a pilot that's the most that I see him talk. It just suck to be in this position one week out of surgery.

I am embarrased to have gotten labeled when I honest to God thought I was doing the right proactive thing. I doubt after 1 week I stand to face addiction issues but I'm sure others abuse and sell drugs and they have to monitor everyone. Ugh....
Unread 02-23-2012, 06:23 PM

(((melpre78)))

Those that abuse meds do make it harder for all of us.

I would suggest sitting down and talking directly to your doctor about all of this to make sure things are cleared up and you don't have issues down the road. You will need to take the bottles with you, show him the doses, tell him how often you took them, and make sure he knows that the amount you took was within the maximum dosing limits he gave. Take your DH with you if it would help.

Often times, doctors don't actually plan for us to take the maximum number of pills in the shortest time frame. They really intend for us to try to use the lowest dose over the longest period of time. If pain is such that the maximum does is needed, often there will be different, more long acting meds prescribed.

In the meantime, you likely need to cut back on how often and how many pills you are taking for many reasons including addiction, liver issues, constipation, etc. Again, try using Ibuprofen if that medication is safe for you.

With meds, it can be wise to try to use the lowest dose rather than the highest dose and slowly space out the pills and times. There are side effects that have to be balanced with the good. I know it can be difficult to balance pain management with side effects, especially if you don't have a good relationship with your doctor.

When the nurse called, what did she tell you to do since you can't refill the script this weekend? Did she suggest Ibuprofen? If you find you cannot manage the pain following whatever instructions she gave, cutting back on the script, and/or switching to Ibuprofen or other over the counter meds, visit a local ER to find out what could be causing the intense pain.

Take care!
Unread 02-23-2012, 06:32 PM

You should definitely talk to your doc. If it requires that much of that med to take care of your pain, there's a good chance that you should be taking a different med. If the doc gave me vicodin, it would have the same effect on my pain as taking an m&m. Vicodin just doesn't work for me. Percocet, however, typically does a decent job. I still have to watch the amount of tylenol I end up taking with that medicine, since it has both tylenol and oxycodone in it.

They already have it on record that you called saying that it wasn't taking care of the pain. If he can't give you a script for that medicine (and he probably shouldn't since it doesn't seem to be working), he should be able to offer something that WILL take care of your pain. I'm at day 8, and I'm mostly taking ibuprofen, though I do have a smattering of the percocets if needed. However, I had a TLH and my recovery is going pretty smoothly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register