Red streaked rash under breasts 2 days post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Red streaked rash under breasts 2 days post-op Red streaked rash under breasts 2 days post-op

Unread 02-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Red streaked rash under breasts 2 days post-op

I had a da Vinci hyster on Tuesday and was released from the hospital yesterday. I had some irritation under my right breast which DH said looked like a rash but I thought was just a bump. (I didn't look in the mirror.)

Today, I have very red marks under both breasts - they almost look like scratch marks but are thicker; they are kind of horizontal. The doc has me taking hydromorphone (Dilaudil) and Vistaril. I feel a bit ichy all around my trunk but I don't notice much else.

Has anyone else had something like this? I kept one ovary and am wondering if it could be hormonal or a med reaction or fungus or ???

I spoke with the nurse and she wasn't very helpful so she's calling the doc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Re: Red streaked rash under breasts 2 days post-op

I had a rash develop when I was in hospital at about the same time as yours. It doesn't sound exactly the same - mine started at the top of my breasts and then spread from under them to my trunk.
I was on intravenous cephalexin at the time, so it was thought it could have been an allergic reation to that. However, they did not think it looked like a classic allergic rash.
I have since had the rash again. I was taking nurofen and paracetamol at the time for a sore tooth.
I have asked my GP, the doctors at the hospital - no one really seemed to know what it was. I think it might be a kind of stress reaction.
I hope you find out what has caused yours.
Unread 02-23-2012, 06:53 PM

Is it possible that they taped part of the draping to your body and you are reacting to the glue that was on the tape? There are gowns out there that roll up and can be taped to you such as the Bair Paws gown. Just a guess on my part. By the way, I loved that Bair Paws gown. I was fortunate to be given one. They hook it up to a heated blower and you are nice and cozy warm while waiting for surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2012, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the replies. I got a call back from the nurse; she said the doctor didn't think it sounded like a reaction to the meds. And my DH says I was on Dilaudin when I had brain surgery last year. I am on another new thing for this procedure but it doesn't look systemic.

It is basically where my breasts sit against my chest (I am not perky anymore). I am very sensitive to many things, including adhesive tape so if there was a glue-type thing there with a drape, maybe that's what's bugging me.

It's not super itchy but I am aware of it and I'm trying not to scratch.

The doc suggested putting some cortisone cream on it. Hopefully that will help.
Unread 02-23-2012, 09:39 PM

It sounds like a reaction to tape they used during surgery. I had the same thing happen. Actually, sorry for TMI... but I had a strange smell for a couple of weeks after my surgery. Didn't know what it was. Felt some itching beneath my breasts. I'm large breasted and moved them out of the way finally and found tape debris (the culprit for the smell and the itching).
Unread 02-23-2012, 09:40 PM

Dancing Popcorn: I'm eat up with plastic tape marks. I had told them repeatedly I was allergic to the tape and they didn't use in on my hands for the ivs, but they stuck some over the leads for the monitors. Very gentle soap and benadryl cream works wonders.
Unread 02-23-2012, 10:04 PM

Are you going without a bra? ....could it be something like a heat rash? ... where the skin might be staying kind of damp and warm?...might try some clean gauze and see if that helps, along with the cortisone

hope it gets better soon?
Unread 02-24-2012, 12:12 AM

I am going without a bra, but it looks different than a heat rash to me. I am going to be careful with it though. I don't want to end up with fungus or something.

DH is at the store now getting me some cream for it. The doctor said if I was itchy I could take Benedryl too but I am already half asleep on this concoction of stuff he's got me on.

If it doesn't improve in the next couple of days, I'll call him back.
Unread 02-24-2012, 04:05 AM

Sounds like you have a good plan of action! Hope it clears up soon.

One other thought, if you notice the streaks actually getting more streaky or longer, call sooner rather than later.
Unread 02-24-2012, 01:08 PM

Streaks look the same today. Last night and today, I think I am having weird reaction to the meds though. Not sure if it's the Dilaudid or the Vistaril or the combo. I am super shaky and nervous and feel just plain weird. (This is why I don't do Vicodin.)

My doc and nurse are not in so I talked to the other doc's nurse. They are sending me to urgent care. I am hoping my friend shows up soon so DH can take me and we can leave DD with our friend.

I am hoping they can switch my pain meds and I'll feel better. I'll let you know how it goes. I think my friend is on her way so we can leave soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register