Adhesions from C-sections | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Adhesions from C-sections Adhesions from C-sections

Unread 02-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Adhesions from C-sections

Is there anyone here that has had a hysterectomy after having multiple c-sections? I have had 3 c-sections and am concerned about the scar tissue and adhesions that could pose a problem for what will hopefully be a laparoscropic surgery. Even my doctor seemed a little concerned, but I trust him and know that he will do his best to not have to cut me more than necessary. I have a vertical abdomen scar and 1 vertical and 2 horizontal uterine scars. The surgeon even had a problem with scar tissue when I had my gall bladder removed several years ago.
Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Re: Adhesions from C-sections

My hyster is scheduled the same day as yours, so unfortunately I won't be able to tell you how mine went in time before yours. I've had 3 c-sections. I had my first in 2006, my 2nd in 2008, and my 3rd in 2009. My doctor warned me about adhesions. She's a very good surgeon, so she wasn't concerned from her end, but did tell me that she may end up having to go the adominal route with me if my adhesions are bad. She's planning a vaginal Da Vinci hyster.

She told me the thing that would pose the biggest issue is if my bladder has adhered to my uterus. She said that if that happened, then I would be sent home with a catheter and would have to cath myself for 2 weeks until my bladder healed. She told me that it's rare and doesn't happen often, but is a real possibility after 3 c-sections.
Unread 02-23-2012, 08:57 PM

Oh, Abagayle, let us both hope for the best! That is scary.

Glad to speak to someone who has the same surgery date as mine We will have to keep in touch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2012, 11:06 AM

Oh I'm glad I found this post! I have had 2 c-sections. I have been having left sided hip and back pain since my twins were about 6 mths. old. I started having lower left pelvic pain for 2 years now. No one seems to know what it is. I went for a second hystorectomy opinion, and he suggested that the adhesions could be the culprit. I'm going for an abdominal hystorectomy March 23rd. I am expecting adhesion problems, to what extent, we'll find out !
Unread 02-24-2012, 11:39 AM

I have had 2 c-sections and a laproscopic surgery to remove a ceptated ovary, I had my TAH in November it was adominal due to adhesions. Because of the laproscopic surgery 16 years ago they knew that I had adhesions as the surgeron at the time removed as much as he could but uterus was still attached to bladder to wall of abdomen...this was called a "frozen pelvis" ..fast forward to Nov2011 once they opened me up they found more adhesions than they had anticipated.

I do not say this to scare you but rather to prepare you, my surgery was scheduled for 2.5 hours and took 4 hours. They were not prepared to find as much as they did... I was terrified i would end up on a cathater prior to the surgery as the previous surgeon stated that best case I would be on a cathater for two weeks, worst case it would be 6 weeks as they would have had to cut the bladder in two - that was 16 years ago

That was the scary part - the not scary part was the surgeon - his whole team just took their time and carefully removed everything, and carefully put things back....I did not requrie a cathater in fact it was removed in the late afternoon the day after surgery.

I will not go into all the details of the surgery but the amount of work was extensive and yet no complications for me.

So even if you do have extensive amounts of adhesions/scar tissues - trust in your surgeon's skills and concentrate on relaxing, and have faith that it will go smoothly

Unread 02-24-2012, 11:54 AM

Totalhysta: what were your symptoms?
Unread 02-24-2012, 12:03 PM

to be honest I had absolutely none. My hysterectomy was to done because they had to remove my last ovary and with no ovaries they removed everything. As before with my laproscopic surgery i had not symptoms, they found the ovaries quite large on routine ultrasounds. The first was 2 inches in size the last one was 4 inches in size, pathology was normal only thing it showed was my last ovary was barely there inside the ovary.

One of the rare ones with no major symptoms. But they did do several ultra sounds over this last ovary because they wanted to see if it would go away. I was diagnosed with PCOS prior to the laproscopic surgery

does this help lol probably not much but never felt the adhesions other than some pulling when i would move a certain way and towards the end prior to surgery i did get extreme pain for a short moment on the side with my last ovary
Unread 02-24-2012, 01:25 PM

Thank you Totahysta. Thankfully I really do trust my doctor. He delivered our first son, 22 years ago and that turned out to be a emergency c-section. He stayed at the hospital all night as I went through labor and when he said that he felt I needed a c-section, I trusted him and still do. (By the way, our son was 9 lbs. 4 oz. and 21 1/2 in. long. We were all shocked; was not expecting that!)

We moved away and I have not seen this doctor in 17 years. We have moved back and I was so glad to be able to see him again. I got an appointment in a weeks time and they still had my old chart!

I know that he will do his best to make things good for me and I am not worried. If things do not go as easy as I hope, I am ready to deal with that, too. I am just thankful that I have a wonderful husband and 3 sons and that I have found this board where I can go for questions, vents and support
Unread 02-24-2012, 01:38 PM

So Glad I could help, now to planning for it

make a list of questions, make a list of things that you do around the house the you will not be able to do, have a family meeting and explain what will happen and what is required to help you heal, enlist the help of your family in planning, pick a nice spot in your house for healing, make it your healing center, decided on movies or books to keep you occupied, and before you know it your day will arrive.
Unread 02-24-2012, 02:44 PM

Good advice! Thanks

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register