preop | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-24-2012, 02:34 AM
preop

i have noticed that alot of you have a preop appointment with your doctor, i only have a preop at the hospital for blood work, ekg, and chest xray, 10 days before my surgery, should i also call my dr office back to schedule an appointment with him also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Re: preop

Hi : )
I had my pre-op appt at hospital for blood work then met with a member of my dr staff a nurse practiioner. To be hones t it was a quick check by her listened to my heart ,lungs you know the drill. She explained where to go day of surgery I had it a cleveland Clinic and it a HUGE hospital very easy to get lost. That was one of my biggest worries getting lost missing surgery LOL. So my point is if you have more questions for doctor make an appt but you really dont need to see your doctor before. Good luck : )
Unread 02-24-2012, 11:56 AM

my preop was at the hospital, they did blood work, heart, lungs, showed me videos of what to do after surgery, breathing, etc. they also showed a video on what to expect from another persons point of veiw after hysterectomy, they gave me phamplets and told me how to do the bowel prep, they also asked me if i had any questions. The hospital i did it at has a women's area so were quite well prepared for everything and any questions i had.

if you feel you need to talk to your dr by all means make an appt but it is not necessary. Some drs just work that way while others do not.

Think happy thoughst to you for your surgery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2012, 04:59 PM

They never told me about my preop. I went yesterday to meet with my davinci surgeon for the first time yesterday. I had blood work done in January by my regulary ObGyn. At this appointment they took my vitals, listened to my heart, asked me a ton of questions and I had a full examination. I then sat down with my surgeon and my husband and we scheduled the surgery. I'm wondering since I just went through all of that if that was my preop. I was sent home with instructions for bowel prep and an appt with a genetics counselor. This is such a whirl wind experience.
Unread 02-24-2012, 05:09 PM

sounds like it
Unread 02-27-2012, 05:50 AM

I say that if you feel like you need to talk to your doctor prior to the surgery, call and see if he can squeeze you in. I know that if I hadn't asked my doctor the questions that I did, I would still feel very ill-at-ease about the surgery.
The more I read this site, the more disappointed I am with the level of care at the VA. My Pre-Op appointment consisted of blood work, a 5 minute meeting with the anesthesiologist, another 5 minute meeting with a surgical nurse that handed me a packet on "how to avoid MRSA" and surgical soap, and then about 20 minutes with my Doctor. The only reason that the doctor took 20 minutes is that I handed him a list of about 20 questions that I had from reading this site. There was no chest x-ray (even though I have been smoking for years), I was told that I didn't need to do any bowel prep (and that was only after I asked) and no liquid diet, just fasting after midnight on the day before surgery. I still don't know what time my surgery is going to be, I will only find that out the on Friday.

Sorry about the long winded response..
Unread 02-27-2012, 08:55 AM
preop

thanx everyone for all the input, i am scheduled for ekg, chest xray, and blood work at the hospital, i really think all of the questions i have are being answered on this site, it is a godsend, i really believe if i wouldnt have found hystersisters i would be going in blind but i am much more comfortable now with the whole thing, i am actually anxious and excited and ready to put all of this behind me, the waiting is the worst! and i still have almost a month to go
Unread 02-27-2012, 03:59 PM

I got a message today to schedule pre op too :-)
Unread 02-27-2012, 06:49 PM

I just had my pre-op this morning for my surgery on Friday. I just met with the admit nurse & they drew blood. No bowel prep (I asked twice about that one) and no other tests ran. I spoke to my doctor over the phone this afternoon & he put my mind at ease about the surgery. I was a nervous before today, but the closer it gets the more at peace I am with my decision with a complete hysterectomy. Good luck to you and God bless!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register