shakes with anesthesia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

shakes with anesthesia shakes with anesthesia

Unread 01-04-2002, 02:01 PM
shakes with anesthesia

Hi all! SO relieved to have found you all! It makes this week and half before my surgery so much more bearable. I think I'd be going into panic attacks as the time went on if I didn't have ya'll! Isnt' the internet a wonder???
So, here's my queston/concern:
In the previous surgeries I've had (myeomectomy, lap, d&c, c-section) I had horrid shakes afterwards (this was with both general or spinal. The latest was the c-section and I remember they finally gave me demerol to stop shaking so I could hold my baby! Is that just something I should expect my body to do as it's getting rid of the anesthesia or, if I tell the anesthesiologist ahead can they do anything about it? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2002, 02:31 PM
Hey Sweety!!

I am not sure if you can do anything about it but it is worth talking it over with the anesthiologist. Go for it. I had the shakes after my son was born and I had a spinal. I felt cold but they said it was something in the way my body reacted to the meds. Anyway the one person you can ask that will know is the anesth. so ask and maybe there is something they can give you or not give you to help with that. I had a vaginal birth by the way. They had warm blankets when I had my surgery, but I was always too hot so I didn't want any but they always had them to put on the patients when they come out of surgery. The shakes also comes from the amount of blood you lose.. Anyway hope I have been some help. But ask the DRs they are the best to get good answers. We you on always and here are a lot of s to keep you warm. God Bless.
Unread 01-04-2002, 02:42 PM
shakes

Hi Linda,

I experience terrible shakes also. I haven't ever had them after any of my surgeries, but always beforehand. My extremeties get so cold, it's almost as if they were put in ice. With all of my surgeries I asked why does it happen and they tell me it's a combination of nerves and how cold they have to keep the hospital. I ask for warm blankets and they really help, but nothing completely relieves the shakes because I am such a nervous wreck before surgery, who isn't...lol Do you feel that the shakes are from nerves, being too cold or do you feel sick in any way afterwards? I'd definitely bring it up to your doctor and see if there is any way to prevent it. It's the last thing you need after having this kind of surgery....

s to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2002, 04:10 PM
shakes with anesthesia

I too had the shakes after my surgery. The nurses would give me nice warm blankets which seem to help alot. I also had cold feet for about a week after my surgery (each time).

Angel101

Unread 01-04-2002, 05:02 PM
shakes with anesthesia

This is definitely something you want to discuss when you meet with your anesthesiologist (usually at your pre-op appt). They normally ask you about past surgeries and your reactions/experiences to anesthesia, but on the off chance they DON'T ask you, definitely detail this for the doctor.

It's possible they can do something with the meds to help you!

Karen
Unread 01-05-2002, 06:34 PM
shakes with anesthesia

I always get terriibel shakes after general. The nurses told me it's because I normaly have very low blood pressure and the anesthesia lowers it more. Don't know but I would ask the anesthesiogist about it. I always forget to ask until it's too late.
Unread 01-06-2002, 04:39 PM
shakes with anesthesia

Seems like I had the shakes the days right after coming home from the hospital. Thought I was just cold, but found out it was the anesthisia.
Unread 01-06-2002, 05:27 PM
Shakes

For what its worth, I have some experience here.
First, had shakes every single time they'd administer the epidural for childbirth and every single time they topped it back off, till it wore down a bit. So much so I had my husband sit on my calves right after.
Second, I also had one natural birth and shook from stage 2 labor into stage3 and after birth for a bit.
I found out that was part of the "transition" and normal for all women and that those shakes were normal.
So there are two types. I don't remember shaking after general however. I remember being cold (op rooms are kept extremly cold ie, the reason the whole surgery team are dressed in layers )

I saw a link here under helpful links to an anesthesia site, maybe that will help. http://www.seanesthesiology.com/anesthesiainfo.htm
Unread 01-07-2002, 08:13 AM
Definite Anesthesiologist conversation

Linda, I had 2 separate surgeries for removal of cysts on my torso. Both times I had them done under "local" -- epinephrine and some other stuff. Turns out I'm "epinephrine" sensitive. Also, last month I had a colonoscopy and they gave me one of the "cillin" types of antibiotic because of Mitral Valve Prolapse and my head started itching like crazy. The Demerol I was given after my son's birth (for which I had a spinal and was fine) caused them to call for the crash cart. Guess I'm just reinforcing the others with the "talk to the Anesthesiologist message". In my book, that person is every bit as important as your surgeon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register