TLH Still Swollen-25 days post op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Still Swollen-25 days post op? Still Swollen-25 days post op?

Unread 02-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Still Swollen-25 days post op?

This is my first time posting. I had TLH Jan 31. I am still very swollen. I mean not just at the end of the day. I wake up and I am swollen but gets worst after doing too much or after eating. At the end of the day I am miserable. I had a lot of endometriosis everywhere. Doc said he couldn't remove it all around my diaphragm b/c it was too dangerous. So, I am assuming that's why I am still having gastric pains now and then. Menopause symptoms are calming down.
Otherwise doing okay, just really concerned about how long will I be with a swelly belly. I didn't mind for a while, but ready to get back in normal clothes.
Wish I had found this site right after my surgery - I was doing too much too soon. Wasn't prepared for total hysterectomy, just went in for exploratory and to remove a cyst. What a shock to be in full on surgically induced menopause at 36!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Re: Still Swollen-25 days post op?

Hi Marie,

This is my third time posting. I am pretty new here, myself. I had a surprise TAH with removal of both ovaries back on Feb 2.

I sure do hear you on wanting to fit back into normal clothes! Me too! I am still experiencing a lot of swelling in the belly area after three weeks post OP. I get it after eating sometimes too.

Some mornings I wake up with no swelling, but later in the day I puff up. Most days, though, I wake up puffed up.

I am not really having gastric pains so I don't know what it is. I see my doctor next week so maybe I should ask her then.

I also went in for an exploratory and cyst removal. In my case, I went in to have an 8x10 cyst (suspected chocolate cyst a.k.a endometrioma) removed from my right ovary, but came out with a total hysterectomy!

My surgeon said it was due to rampant endometriosis (stage 4) and the fact that I had abcessed cysts and everything was inflamed and infected.

I am only six years older (42), but I wasn't prepared for this either!
Unread 02-24-2012, 03:34 PM

have you consulted your doctor about this situation?.my belly still swells at over 3 1/2months post.maybe ask about a prescribed anti-inflammatory?if you can ibuprofen ,can you use it as a anti-inflammatory?i did this for the 1st 2 months and it really helped w/ my belly.i had to quit taking it cause it started hurting my stomach.you can take it as anti-inflammatory by taking 2 200mg every 2-3 hours and keep on schedule to see if this works for you.it was a complete blessing for me.but make sure you can take this and i would call your doctor.but my belly still goes up/down continuously.
i have 1 pair of jeans that i can wear 1 day but not be able to button them another day.this has been a very strange recovery for me.i really thought i'd better in a week or two but i do not regret surgery,i did at 1st,but not now cause i feel a whole lot better. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2012, 08:13 AM

Thanks Miel - Our stories are very similar. It is so good to hear from you. Before they scheduled my scope I was in a lot of pain, had lots of swelling in the belly especially upper belly right under breasts. My family doctor thought I had gallbladder disease. When he examined me and pressed my gallbladder I practically jumped off the table. Come to find out it was endometriosis that was flaring up during my last period; I was a hot fiery mess! They say the endo was causing the gastric pain. I was DRINKING Mylanta right out of the bottle. I have had painful periods with heavy bleeding for many years now. They say the endo will die and sluff off now that I don't have ovaries. I think that is what is causing the inflammation still in my stomach.
Christinatas -- thanks for suggesting Ibuprofen, that make a lot of sense!! I have a prescription for 800 mg ibuprofen and I took one last night before bedtime. This morning it seems that it is not as swollen as it had been other mornings. I hear ya that ibuprofen can mess up your stomach. That has added to my gastric problems over the years of taking so much to relieve the pain during those bad periods. I don't regret having the surgery either. Actually overall I am already feeling better. I'm convinced I was allergic to my hormones! LOL
Unread 02-25-2012, 09:29 AM

I still swell up. I don't think I actually wasn't swollen for the first 8 weeks. Now I'm ok in the morning then puffed up at night. I live in stretch pants. I wore jeans once and by afternoon they were uncomfortable. The rough fabric still bothers my tender tummy too.

I think that some of it depends on how you heal and some on how much they had to do. I had adhesions all over the place so they had to separate everything.

I know eventually it will go away. I just wish it would hurry up.
Unread 02-25-2012, 01:03 PM

yeah belly is still a problem area for me w/ over 3 months post under my belt.
i have really wanted some predisone but dr. said not to worry about it and i could do my little ibuprofen cocktail using my own judgement.but i guess if we think of this being major surgery we'll have patience.
but MIEL ,i would check w/ dr. cause if belly's like that continuously that might be something else going on.you never can tell.better to be safe than sorry.also ibuprofen works better usins a name brand,generic isnt as good
Unread 02-25-2012, 01:34 PM

I have also three months under my belt. I exercise every day , the insision area is still tender. and I feel swollen. but there shouldnt be much pain after the month is up , maybe if you move to quickly sometimes it will bother you. Dont lift anything to heavy and remember it really hasnt been that long.... lol thats what everyone tells me....I just want to wear my clothes... funny thing, my jeans will fit one day and not the next too... thankfully its not summer yet. But this sure beats bleeding all the time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register