When is everyone going back to work? - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When is everyone going back to work? When is everyone going back to work?

Unread 03-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Re: When is everyone going back to work?

I was 6 weeks out on Wednesday, 2/29/12, and just went back to work today, 3/2/12. For me it has been a lot rougher than I would have thought. I have a desk job, so the sitting really cramps up my right lower belly and leg. Also, I've been having a terrible time with dizziness and blurry vision since the surgery so walking around the office has been a little scary. Both my doctor and I wanted me to be out a little longer, but my work's short term disability would not approve any more time. In fact they said they did me a favor by extending my time out from 4 weeks to 6 weeks. Soooo gracious of them, eh?

I'm in a lot of pain and exhausted, and I am so scared that I won't be able to continue like this. If I didn't live paycheck to paycheck I'd just go on unpaid medical leave until I felt well enough. I am in no way a lazy person, before the surgery I was always on the go and used to working 40+ hours a week. It's been hard to admit that I am no longer Wonder Woman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2012, 04:46 AM

I agree - Wonder Woman is taking a break here, too! Pre-op, I was constantly frustrated about a recent discontinuation of overtime; I had been averaging 45 hours per week and really needed the work time as well as the extra cash.

NYS disability cap is $170 per week, with the first week not covered. I took 6 weeks, went back on a part-time basis for the first 2 weeks. The money issue was on my mind, but much more than that was my body's reaction to sitting at a computer... UGH!!! By the 4th hour I was so relieved to go home and lie down!

Now it is 2 1/2 months post-op and still, by 3pm, I often find myself sliding lower and lower in my chair just to reduce the pressure on my belly from sitting straight too long.

I take full lunches and usually walk for most of the time. I am managing 35 - 37 hours per week and no longer am interested in ot. I am viewing this whole experience as valuable on many levels, including the chance to re-prioritize my life. Health definitely comes first these days, and being a superstar at work has lost a lot of its cachet!
Unread 03-03-2012, 07:44 AM

Going back at about 7 wks. & ONLY for a couple of days the first week or so. I am not hurting myself for NOBODY!!!! YES< I need the money but I know I'll make my money soon enough. Need to be 100% healthy in order to take of my self! Also don't allow anyone to make you feel bad about not going to work sooner than you have too....Will they be there to care for you if you hurt yourself? Rest & enjoy your time off (-:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2012, 04:58 PM

I had a TAH on Jan 9th and will be going back to work on Monday. Just going to work 4-5 hrs a day for the 1st 2 weeks to ease back into things. I am still pretty worn out.
Unread 03-03-2012, 07:10 PM

I didn't go back until almost 9 weeks and at part time at first as others stated and I HIGHLY recommend that for at least the first week back.
Unread 03-04-2012, 05:56 AM

I had the daVinci on 1/11 and went back to work on 2/21. I worked 14 hours on my first day back. I was fine except for the usual aches and pains from not working for so long. I'm a mail carrier so all I do is walk, go up and down stairs, and lift things. Everything has been going fine. I've noticed that I have more energy than before.
Unread 03-04-2012, 06:33 AM

I intend to go back at 8 weeks , part time. Desk job, so the sitting will be the challenge for me also.

The first 3 weeks of recovery were difficult for me. The past 3 weeks, well, it's shocking how much I have improved! Funny how you don't notice how much you have improved until you look at it from that viewpoint.

And I am back to doing 60% of my normal life, I just don't have a lot of stamina! I can go to the store, for 5-10 minutes! Then i'm ready to come home again!

Little by little though ... We are all improving!
Unread 03-04-2012, 06:36 PM

I have had alot of problems with bleeding and being hospitalized three times. I am at 4 and a half weeks. I don't want to go back to early and I know I am not ready. I am hoping to get a minimum of 8 weeks and praying for 10. DO you think the Dr. can send me back even if I know I am not ready?
Unread 03-05-2012, 01:36 AM

I am returning to work today. I do call center work from home and I'm on a gradual return. 4hours 3 days a week and increasing after 2 weeks. I'm very lucky to have this and I know my doctor will back my gradual hours if there is any issue.
I have had an awesome recovery. I've lost over 20lbs without trying. I don't suffer swelly belly much any more. Sex is fantastic. Whoda thunk a uterus, 2 ovaries and a cervix could do so much damage to a woman's life? I do not regret the surgery one bit.
I do have cramps from time to time and mostly near the pubic bone and bladder spasms. (I had a hole in my bladder that my surgeon had to repair as an adhesion ripped away) He said the scar tissue is what's causing the cramps/spasms. I'm on 1mg estrace/day. I've never felt better.
The only thing is my husband was just laid off from a job he was at for 12 years. I work at the same place so returning is full of stress and emotional turmoil.
My migraines have not disappeared with the surgery. Changed but not gone. I do think women who have this surgery should be given more than 6 weeks to recover before returning to work.
I send hugs to all my sisters and apologies for not being present on this site for awhile.
Lotsa Love
Mimilly/Salem
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:54 AM

hi im back for my 6 week post op check up tuesday i hopefully will be back to work wedensday, i feel so much better for having my op done i feel as the proper happy old me has returned not the nasty pain ridden person that i was before hand, all my freinds and family say that i look so well and must admit i feel brill xx hes hoping ti work on wedensday

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register