Vaginal odor - how do you know what is foul? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal odor - how do you know what is foul? Vaginal odor - how do you know what is foul?

Unread 02-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Vaginal odor - how do you know what is foul?

Would a foul odor from the vagina with discharge be fishy smelling? I know my doctor's nurse when I called said the stinch odor I was having was normal and all a part of the healing process and stitches. But How do you know if the odor is foul or normal? Say there would be a infection what are some of the signs for like Bladder,Yeast,UTI? etc...... Is anyone else having a odor and can smell it even when not using the restroom and you have a gown and panties on? It is alittle stronger than a few days ago but still the same smell and I am not hurting,itching,bleeding except for the brownish/orangish discharge that I have had since surgery. GRRRRR which this would go away......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Re: Vaginal odor - how do you know what is foul?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkheart View Post
Would a foul odor from the vagina with discharge be fishy smelling? I know my doctor's nurse when I called said the stinch odor I was having was normal and all a part of the healing process and stitches. But How do you know if the odor is foul or normal? Say there would be a infection what are some of the signs for like Bladder,Yeast,UTI? etc...... Is anyone else having a odor and can smell it even when not using the restroom and you have a gown and panties on? It is alittle stronger than a few days ago but still the same smell and I am not hurting,itching,bleeding except for the brownish/orangish discharge that I have had since surgery. GRRRRR which this would go away......
Fishy-smelling odor is often associated with bacterial vaginosis. I can't speak to what odors are normal following a hysterectomy (I've seen posts on it, so hopefully someone else will jump in), but I would want that checked out by the doc in case it's an infection like BV.
Unread 02-26-2012, 09:13 AM

See, I thought I had a foul smelling odor too.. Thought I had BV.. called doc and he did exam and said no BV or infection. Rather it was old blood on my cuff still in there and that it would pass..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2012, 09:20 AM

Can you smell your odor with a night gown and panties on? It seems it has gotten stronger but the same stinch smell. I don't smell it after my shower until I use the restroom for the 1st time. It is AWFUL!!! I called the docotor office and spoke to a nurse when I posted a few days ago and they did not seem alarmed and told me it was normal healing process and stitches..... I go back March.23 for my 6 week. This odor is kind of like after you get atooth pulled and they put the guaze in there and when you take it out there is this smell. Anyone know what I mean? It is not fishy!!!
Unread 02-26-2012, 10:33 AM

Im with u and i thought about even asking if i could douche because at times its hard to deal with and really bad when you smell urself i can just,imagine if,i stood nex to someone what they would think. Im changing my panty liners every time i go to the rr. :O
Unread 02-26-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchat View Post
Im with u and i thought about even asking if i could douche because at times its hard to deal with and really bad when you smell urself i can just,imagine if,i stood nex to someone what they would think. Im changing my panty liners every time i go to the rr. :O
I am changing mine everytime I go too. It is crazy the different things that happen to us day by day.
Unread 02-26-2012, 11:06 AM

Yes pinkheart.. I can smell it then too.. I told my husband even more then sex , I cant wait to douche!!
Unread 02-26-2012, 12:12 PM

If you are in doubt, please be seen by a doctor. We have had several ladies who thought it was part of normal healing and it turned out to be an infection. I say better safe than sorry.
Unread 02-26-2012, 01:21 PM

Mine is foul-smelling, too, and it's accompanied by a discharge. The discharge is not red, pink, or brown (like fresh or "old" blood) but is yellow and seems more like pus. I've had this smelly discharge since I came home from the hospital (surgery was 3 weeks ago) and I have told my surgeon's nurse. She said unless my fever goes above 100.4, it's not an infection. I'm not sure she knows what she's talking about, but I see the surgeon Tuesday for my first post-op visit, so hopefully I'll know then.

I'll be sure to post what he says on this forum after I see the doctor.
Unread 02-26-2012, 01:27 PM

Thnx i will keep u guys posted as well

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register