Not Scheduled Nervous about side effects | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous about side effects Nervous about side effects

Unread 02-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Nervous about side effects

Im new to the website and really looking for a womens input. Im 37 and have 2 kids. I had the novasure procedure done last April. Unfortunately Im one of the few that now has post ablation syndrome. My doctor thinks I should have a partial hysterectomy done. But he said I could try birth control pills first to see if it helps. I really dont like the idea of doing that because of the risks with blood clots and stroke especially with my age. Can someone please tell me what type of symtoms I might have after hysterectomy. Worried about weight gain mainly, but interested in any input.you guys can give me. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Re: Nervous about side effects

A hysterectomy is not something that one should consider lightly. Have you thought of getting a second opinion and have you asked your doctor specifically about possible complications? As well, have you asked what kind of hysterectomy is available to you? I can give you a few links that will help but you also need to talk to your doctor.

Alternatives to a Hysterectomy

Hysterectomy options

Recovery Checkpoints

HysterSisters list of articles about hysterectomies

This last link will give you a whole list of articles that may answer a lot of your questions on what to expect.

I hope this helps.
Unread 02-26-2012, 04:45 PM

With your post ablation syndrome have you had any ovary pain? I also had an ablation about a year & a half ago & my pain started in August. The pain is really bad. If the fallopian tubes are involved in the post ablation syndrome then it sounds like the ovary(s) would hurt too. I also had my tubes tied when I had my ablation.

Here is what one of the web sites I found said about post ablation syndrome:
If you have had an endometrial ablation and have developed symptoms of pelvic pain you might have post endometrial ablation syndrome. What is post-endometrial ablation syndrome? Well, gynos not always sure, but many women who do not have complete success in eliminating the lining tissue from the uterus may have some inadvertent consequences of the persistent menstrual bleeding on a cyclic basis. Remember the process of having an endometrial ablation does not change your hormones and the cycles persist as they were before. One source of the syndrome might be some pain due to the distention of the end of the fallopian tube that is closest to the wall of the uterus when it fills, or a part of the uterus fills with blood that cannot completely shed out as previously,thus producing these symptoms. Particularly if that tubal end is really a stump from a previous tubal ligation. In those cases small amounts of menstrual blood each month can accumulate in the tubal stump. Scarring and trapped blood or secretions in a pocket might cause it. Ultrasound might offer a solution and be able to diagnose these pockets. Other women might have a scaring of the internal structure of the uterus, for instance the cervix, preventing the outflow of what menstrual blood is produced monthly. If you do have pain, first is to try to get an accurate diagnosis. Make sure there is no infection, or ovarian condition both of which can produce pelvic pain. Once the diagnosis is made, then you and your gyno can establish a planned solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2012, 05:13 PM

There was also a thread on hystersisters on post ablation tubal sterilization syndrome from Oct. 2010.

Hystersisters won't allow me to post the website address, but the thread is titled "post ablation tubal sterilization syndrome". And if you type that name into google it's the 4th option.

Personally, this explains all my symptoms even though I was diagnosed with this by my GYN. My GYN didn't look at my tubes in the ultasound. He only looked at my uterus and ovaries.
Unread 02-26-2012, 06:04 PM

hi ....i too had an ablation, in aug of 2010 and during 2011 i have had pain every month getting worse with each passing month . i had neg pap smear in nov2011 but elevated CA12 test; had vag ultra sound shows lump on left side and mass in my right tube; doctor said its blood and tried dialating to open cervix and let it out. later that day i had a flow of fluid but it was clear not blood. then had CT scan and nothing showed. but after that symptoms started again severe pain in front and on left ovary and down front of left leg. my uterus sits towards my spine which was never a problem but since ablation ..Oh MY GOD. i have had a tubaligation so now im having TAH 2/29/12 . i am told by friends how have had it done that is for the best. soo here is hoping for the best.
Unread 02-26-2012, 06:34 PM

sunshi3710,
Are you having one or both of your ovaries removed?
Unread 02-26-2012, 07:08 PM
Nervous about side effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn03301970 View Post
sunshi3710,
Are you having one or both of your ovaries removed?
Well They did an ultrasound. Ive been having terrible cramps that last 2 wks prior to period. I sometimes have stabbing pain in my ovaries.
The doctor just going to take out my uterus. I had my tubes clipped when I was 23, then I had novasure done last yr.
Unread 02-26-2012, 07:45 PM

Hi, I am 38- no kids but a husband and four cats. Had regular 27 and a half day cycles from the time I was 12 until I started Depo at age 26. Stopped Depo at 32 and had regular cycles again until some time in 2009. They kept getting heavier and closer together. I had ablation in April 2010 after almost 6 months of bleeding basically every other day. I did not have a tubal because husband had a vasectomy years ago. I have had no bleeding since then.

Fall 2011, I started having terrible pain on the right side. GYN found two cysts on right ovary and one on left. They went away on their own but I have had pain off and on ever since. Pain is 95% of the time on the right side- I thought it was an ovary but the surgeon poked around during one of the more painful days and thinks it is the right upper section of my uterus.... heck, I just know something down there hurts! Now my GYN thinks I have developed endometriosis and the GYN Surgeon thinks I have post-ablation syndrome. The only way to diagnose either is through the laprascopy. I am scheduled for a TVH March 16th- and I am so happy to have this taken care of! Currently, the plan is to remove uterus, cervix, and right ovary. Any other "expendable organs" will be removed if he thinks they are causing the pain.

Interesting thing, my mom developed bleeding problems after 24 years of cycles (age 16-40) and I had the same '24-year span' (ages 12-36).

I cannot offer advise yet on side effects but according to my mom... her total abdominal hysterectomy in 1991 was the best thing that ever happened to her. I am hoping I have the same experience just with the laprascopic version.)
Unread 02-26-2012, 08:24 PM

I have had problems with my periods ALL my life. It especially got worse after I gave birth to my twins 10 1/2 years ago. After I gave birth I was bleeding non stop for 4 weeks til I told my OB/GYN. Then he did a D & C. It seemed to help til it started over again in fall of 2009. I was having a regular period then I would spot for another month. It was really getting on my nerves so I brought it up at my annual exam and he put me on birth control pills. That helped for about 6 months then he mentioned ablation. He said it might help & might not but it was the next step if I didn't want a hysterectomy. Well I bled for about a month after my surgery then it got less & less every month. Until the excruciating pain came on with a vengeance in Aug. 2011 with no bleeding. It has gotten worse & worse EVERY month since then. Now it's happening about every 5 days. I had a tubal ligation at the same time as my ablation. I have been reading posts from this thread that was started 10-2010 about post ablation tubal sterilization syndrome where some blood gets trapped in a fallopian tube and feels like ovarian pain along with my uterus pain due to the failed ablation. I'm just a mess! LOL. I told my GYN that I want my ovaries removed but I really think it might be the PATSS. I want to bring this up to him before the surgery but I don't want to be a pest & call him AGAIN with this new information. I kind of want to bring this up right before my surgery & if my tube(s) is blocked then he doesn't have to take my ovary(s). My mom had problems with her periods too. Mainly irregular periods and some spotting issues. She went through menopause at/around 48-49. I am almost 42.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register