Discharge orders not what I expected! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Discharge orders not what I expected! Discharge orders not what I expected!

Unread 02-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Discharge orders not what I expected!

My activities that I am limited by really surprised me. Rather, the LACK of what I am limited to!
I'm already doing stairs alright and walking fine, I'm not allowed to drive for 2 weeks which is not a big deal.
I had prepared to not be allowed to do much in the way of housework for a few weeks, but they only have Lifting: No more than 10lbs for 1 week.
No tub or shower limits, no sex for 8 weeks.

I'm thinking we will stick to our original plan of me NOT doing housework for the couple weeks anyhow, but I was really surprised by how little instructions I was given.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Re: Discharge orders not what I expected!

Wow.. My doc was strict.. No stairs 2 weeks then limited after that. No lifting over 10 lbs 6 weeks. No vacuuming, bending onto stomach, pulling, pushing 6 weeks..
No driving for 3 weeks or until I could stomp my feet onto breaks. No sex 8 weeks or until cleared..
Unread 02-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Discharge orders not what I expected!

No tubs for 6 weeks either..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac4_11 View Post
Wow.. My doc was strict.. No stairs 2 weeks then limited after that. No lifting over 10 lbs 6 weeks. No vacuuming, bending onto stomach, pulling, pushing 6 weeks..
No driving for 3 weeks or until I could stomp my feet onto breaks. No sex 8 weeks or until cleared..
GMAC - Did your doc say why you can't bend onto your stomach? I know this was discussed in a previous post, how different everyone's discharge instructions were, but my doc's instructions never mentioned bending. I know it seems intuitive that it wouldn't be advisable to bend because of the healing...just curious if your doc said what could happen if you did bend. I've been bending a few times a day to feed my dogs (and scoop their food, etc) but have been overall careful (I think)!
Unread 02-26-2012, 01:54 PM

He said because bending onto the abdomin pushes everything internally downwards causing strain onto the vaginal cuff area..
Unread 02-26-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
He said because bending onto the abdomin pushes everything internally downwards causing strain onto the vaginal cuff area..
UGH, I wish I hadn't asked! Maybe that's why I keep feeling the swelling sensation at the cuff site Although it's actually much better today and it's not all the time. Now I am going to totally stress about having weakened the cuff - I don't think I'm ever going to be ready to have sex again I just cannot understand why one doctor tells his/her patients something valuable like you were told, and another doesn't even mention it urgh.
Unread 02-26-2012, 02:15 PM

It is strange to have such different discharge orders.
Mine said no driving for 2 weeks
No lifting more that 10 lbs for 4-6 weeks
No strenuous activity, climbing stairs or excessive bending for 4-6 weeks
No tub baths; showers for 6 weeks or until cleard by doct.
No sex/Nothing inside the vagina for 6 weeks or until cleared by doct.

I would err on the side of caution and leave the housework to someone else for a while and you should concentrate on resting. You could always ask your doctor to clarify...but like many of the hystersisters will tell you - "Why take the chance; you have one chance to recover well and you just have to put yourself first during this time."
Good luck on your recovery and keep us posted!
Unread 02-26-2012, 02:20 PM

Just try not to bend onto abdomin anymore Carolinagrl.. Get a grabber to pick things up off the floor..
Unread 02-26-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Just try not to bend onto abdomin anymore Carolinagrl.. Get a grabber to pick things up off the floor..
GMAC - Thanks - I'm actually good about not picking stuff up off the floor (have a friend occasionally help me with picking up dog toys and had the cleaning lady here once), it's just being alone with 3 dogs, there's not much way around some bending to put their bowls on the floor and pick them up a couple times a day. That said, I've asked my dogwalker to start coming twice a day to minimize hopefully the bending. I haven't done any kind of exagerrated or frequent bending besides feeding them and replacing their water, etc, and haven't had any pain or bleeding/discharge of any type, so hopefully I haven't hurt myself (or that stupid cuff, the new bane of my existence lol)

Unread 02-26-2012, 04:01 PM

Thank you Blessed2know,
I think this is more what I'm going to try to stick to guideline wise. I was doing a lot of bending earlier today, and I am paying for it now. It's hard to get my husband to understand that I'm still worn out very easily though. Luckily my kids are being well behaved and letting me rest fairly quietly. I see my doc for a follow up on the 9th.

I'm hoping my appetite comes back, but for now i've been eating small amounts when able.

Good luck Carolinagrl42!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register