Remove my ovaries if the tubes are blocked? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Remove my ovaries if the tubes are blocked? Remove my ovaries if the tubes are blocked?

Unread 02-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Remove my ovaries if the tubes are blocked?

I read several posts (9 pages) about post ablation tubal sterilization syndrome and everything sounds like ALL my symptoms. I would have NEVER thought it might be my fallopian tubes! My pain is also on the right side and I thought it was coming from my right ovary. My t/v u/s also only focused on my uterus & ovaries. My GYN said it was my decision to have my ovaries removed because he thought it was all coming from my uterus. Now I wonder if I should talk to him AGAIN before my surgery on Friday. OR should I talk to him about this right before surgery? I really don't want to have my ovaries removed if that's not the problem. But ALL those posts sounds like me and my pain. I've been sitting here reading these for hours now. And have read each & every one. What do you ladies think? Should I call my GYN AGAIN to talk about this new information I found OR just mention to him before surgery that if he finds that my tube(s) were blocked NOT to remove my ovaries?
My ablation and tubal ligation was done 09-2010 & my pain didn't start til 08-2011. It starts on my right side & slowly moves downward into my uterus and sometimes I feel it in my right leg. I have a high tolerance for pain but this is RIDICULOUSLY awful pain! I had another attack of it this afternoon and it started at church. I couldn't get out of there fast enough after it was over. I went straight to bed with the heating pad on my right side for almost an hour before it subsided so I could get a little sleep. I hate to be a pest to my GYN office because you know that doctors HATE for us to diagnose ourselves over the internet. But the tube pain fits with what I'm going through!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Re: Remove my ovaries if the tubes are blocked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn03301970 View Post
Now I wonder if I should talk to him AGAIN before my surgery on Friday. OR should I talk to him about this right before surgery?
I would suggest talking to your doctor sooner rather than later. For one, there are times when scheduling conflicts prevent the surgeon from meeting with a patient right before surgery. Also, you may want to change your consent form and that may not be possible if you are already prepped and ready for OR when you talk to your surgeon.

Have you had a second opinion about what might be best for you?

Definitely get all of your questions answered before you head into OR so you can be sure you are having the right procedures for you!

Unread 02-26-2012, 08:29 PM

Weiser,
No, I haven't gotten a second opinion because I requested him to perform the hysterectomy since I had a failed ablation. I told him "I just want this THING taken out of me!" He's the best OB/GYN in town and I completely trust him. The doctor that performed my ablation was a GYN that worked in his office but has since left the practice. I talked to his PA and they both agree that the hysterectomy is the route to go. I'm just so torn about having my ovaries removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2012, 08:42 PM

If you have any questions you have to talk to him as soon as you can. Don't wait. You don't want to have doubts about what you have done! And your consent form has what you have agreed to having done and needs to be change if you change your mind.

Good luck.
Unread 02-26-2012, 09:03 PM

Ok. Thanks ladies! I'm going in for my pre-op in the morning & he's in the same building so I'll stop by his office and talk to him about it. Plus it's the same day that his ultrasound tech is there, maybe she can do a quick ultrasound. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I don't want to lose 1 or both ovaries for NOTHING.
Unread 02-26-2012, 09:18 PM

Prior to my having my hysterectomy in 2009 I had one of my tubes blocked on the right side. When the doctor went to perform the surgery; she told me that the reason why my tube was blocked was because scar tissue was wrapped around it. Then everything was attached to my rib cage in my back.

I really did not want to have my ovaries taken but I did not have much of a choice; I still have one.
Unread 02-26-2012, 09:18 PM

Hi

This post has really struck a cord with me. I have all of the symptoms that you've described and have had Novasure 8/10 and Thermal balloon ablation 8/11.
The pain is ridiculous and always in the same area. My right side, which I thought was my right ovary, wraps around to my back and radiates down my right leg.
When I mentioned my "ovary" pain to my gyn he said that my ovaries look very healthy and that we are going to keep them.
I will be calling him in the morning since my surgery is scheduled for Thursday.
I definatly do not want to go thru this surgery if I'm going to continue to experience that torture!

Good Luck!
Unread 02-27-2012, 02:06 PM

I spoke with my GYN and he said he could see the tubes on my t/v u/s and he said the tubes are not blocked. I agreed to our original plan of taking both my ovaries anyway. I just want this pain to be gone! The pain sometimes switches from left to right, but mainly right most of the time. I don't want to end up with 2 surgeries so I am going ahead with the bilateral oophorectomy. I have heard A LOT of ladies say the closer you are to menopause the easier the menopause symptoms are. I am almost 42 & my mom went through menopause at 48 or 49 so I'm not too far away from menopause anyway. She had no problem with it & chose not to take the hormones. I feel pretty good about my decision. Like all the ladies have said here, it's a personal decision and you know what your body is telling you.
Unread 02-28-2012, 06:07 PM

Law001,
Did you talk to your doctor about the ovarian pain?
Unread 02-28-2012, 11:10 PM

Hi
I haven't spoken to him...I guess I'll talk to him on Thursday (right before the surgery).
I'm so nervous and emotional, I don't know what I'm doing.
Hope all goes well for you. I'll keep you posted!
~Laura

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register