Told at Preop today - No Sex 6 months?!? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Told at Preop today - No Sex 6 months?!? Told at Preop today - No Sex 6 months?!?

Unread 02-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Told at Preop today - No Sex 6 months?!?

Just when I had come to terms with this surgery went to my Preop with hubby. Getting davinci for CIN III 2 leeps in 2 years. Dr went thru every detail...very thorough. Then he says since cervix and uterus coming out vaginally, he would say no sex 6 months. I almost fainted. Its not even the sex that freaks me out its the recovery...what happened to faster recovery? I was so shocked that I forgot to ask if I got a non-davinci is it the same? I completely understand every surgery not being the same for everyone...but 6 months? Most of the other sisters say 6 weeks? I think my husband even corrected him and said 6 weeks, right? NO months sir. So my crying has resumed and not sure how I will get thru next 2 weeks.

Anyone out there that got this type of info? Is he overly cautious? I understand that he doesnt want damage done to vaginal cuff. But 6 months?! Hubby says we will survive but I am just thrown over the edge. Any info out there is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Re: Told at Preop today - No Sex 6 months?!?

I do know that some sisters had long restrictions on sex. I had a TAH BSO (so I have a vaginal cuff) and had six weeks restriction. I do not know if your circumstances are different due to your particular health issues. However, it is important to follow your doctors instructions. If you want, you can ask specifics of why.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 02-27-2012, 10:58 PM

I am having the daVinci total hysterectomy on the 16th of March. My doctor said it will be 8 weeks before intercourse. However at around 6 weeks there could be outside stimulation.
Hopes this helps ~ Blessings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2012, 11:09 PM

I had daVinci Dec 20. My doc told me it would be at least 6 weeks...not months! We had outercourse at week 4 At my 6 week checkup both my doc and I were optimistic I could resume sex but there was a small part of my cuff not completely healed so she had me wait two more weeks. Since week 8 we've slowly gotten back into the swing of things! No problems as far as bleeding or pain. I have never heard six months.
Unread 02-27-2012, 11:17 PM

I had a LAVH and my surgeon says 4 weeks with lubricant, my OB-GYN says 6 weeks...I haven't heard of 6 months from anyone yet, but maybe there is something unique that they're concerned with for you???? Worth asking why so long... :-)

Best of luck!!!
Unread 02-27-2012, 11:29 PM

Hmmm.. maybe you have "extra" repairs to be made?

I had complications and was released in 12 weeks/3 months.
Unread 02-28-2012, 12:00 AM

I've never heard 6 months, usually 6 to 8 weeks. Is there something unusual with your health situation? Maybe you need a second opinion from a doctor. Maybe the doctor kept saying 6months while thinking 6 weeks? I'd double check.
Unread 02-28-2012, 12:06 AM

I don't know what kind I am suppose to have or what all the restrictions are...I am scheduled for my hysterectomy on 3/20 pre op on 3/16
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:04 AM

Thanks all. I thought it sounded long...going to primary doc today for blood work will ask him. No other issues so this must be my dr idea for good healing. Thx again
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:55 AM

My doc said 3 months, which seemed much longer than others on this board. He was very adamant about it and said I could really screw up the healing process by not listening. He gave me a good reason why though: it takes the body 3 months to develop the necessary scar tissue to support the stitches in the vaginal vault suspension he did.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register