Told at Preop today - No Sex 6 months?!? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Told at Preop today - No Sex 6 months?!? Told at Preop today - No Sex 6 months?!?

Unread 02-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Re: Told at Preop today - No Sex 6 months?!?

Maybe he meant to say 6 weeks and instead said 6 months? I would ask him to clarify..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2012, 11:00 AM

I would definitely ask him for a clear explanation.

If it does turn out that you do have to refrain for 6 months, it might not be as awful as you think. We had to go 7 months without sex during my last pregnancy and it wasn't nearly as terrible as I thought it would be. When you can't due to medical/health reasons, it just becomes a non-issue. Taking care of you is the most important thing.
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:25 PM

Thanks girls...I have a call into gyn surgeon to clarify...I froze in the preop and could not ask my questions. He did say most drs would say 3 months but he insists on 6. My question to him is going to be is this your technique in stitching? I understand he is cautious and conservative but I just didn't think it would be a 6 month recovery. I have no other issues other than CIN III so unlike others on this site I have no other symptoms...nothing is exciting me about this...no pain relief. My only saving grace is that hubby told me not to worry we would get thru this. But I am ready for 2nd opinion if dr can not explain why I am the only girl on hystersisters that has this length of recovery! Thank God for this site and all your info. Its so empowering. Will update soon.xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfchik View Post
Thanks girls...I have a call into gyn surgeon to clarify...I froze in the preop and could not ask my questions. He did say most drs would say 3 months but he insists on 6. My question to him is going to be is this your technique in stitching? I understand he is cautious and conservative but I just didn't think it would be a 6 month recovery. I have no other issues other than CIN III so unlike others on this site I have no other symptoms...nothing is exciting me about this...no pain relief. My only saving grace is that hubby told me not to worry we would get thru this. But I am ready for 2nd opinion if dr can not explain why I am the only girl on hystersisters that has this length of recovery! Thank God for this site and all your info. Its so empowering. Will update soon.xx
Yes, if you can, it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion. I had just never heard of that long a no sex restriction. I agree that doctor's should know best and I don't know your health history, but still... Wishing you the best with your steps on the road to good health!
Unread 02-29-2012, 07:39 PM

My Dr. said no intercourse for 12 weeks because of the vaginal cuff. Six months does seem a bit much. Best of luck to you.
Unread 03-02-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfchik View Post
J Then he says since cervix and uterus coming out vaginally, he would say no sex 6 months. I almost fainted.
I just came from my pre-op today and my doctor said the same thing (except he said it as 180 days). He said it's because it takes that long for the stitches to fully dissolve and the tissue to heal.

I am not having the Da Vinci procedure. So apparently that does not make a difference.
I have been having my period since the beginning of December and it just stopped (with meds) in the last week, so maybe that has something to do with the longer time in my case. I also have Endo, fibroids, and PCO so I'm sure that all figures in as well.
Unread 03-02-2012, 08:56 PM

I had a TAH BSO (so I have a vaginal cuff) and my restrictions were for six weeks. My surgery was for an ovarian cyst and fibroids.

BUT, you should follow your doctors instructions. Every case is different....

(((Hugs))))
Unread 03-02-2012, 09:37 PM

Ok here is the deal...I spoke with my ultra conservative dr. He explained that with lap and davinci surgeries there is a higher incidence of vaginal cuff dissience. 4 to 5 percent. Some forums I found on line say that percent is not acceptable. I guess its a sophies choice. When I called him to ask more questions he explained that the sutures and stitching is not the same as abdominal hyst. I said that I was the only person on hystersisters with such a long restriction! He said any dr doing davinci with vaginal removal should be stating 3 months but he thinks 6 is safer. I am going to post a general post about this...I think its important to get this out there. Some ugly details on how the cuff can be broken...I think I feel better that after 3months it may be an option to have sex...but after reading some scary stories I may wait a little longer!
Unread 03-03-2012, 06:58 AM

My doc agrees with the 3 month time frame. I have also read with the Lap and Da Vinci methods there being a higher rate of women tearing the cuff as well.. Im waiting at least 16 weeks myself..
Unread 03-03-2012, 07:09 AM

Is this specifically with vaginal removal? I haven't read anything about a higher rate of tearing the cuff. Can you post some links?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register