TVH So many questions, no one to ask :( | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

So many questions, no one to ask :( So many questions, no one to ask :(

Unread 02-27-2012, 08:13 PM
So many questions, no one to ask :(

I had my TVH 2/16 and am over 1 week post-op. I am a mess! I hurt 24/7, I am having the worst hot flashes every 20 minutes and am misserable. The Dr I see is not a fan of giving pain meds since there is a lot of drug addicts in our area, which equals rough goings for me. I was taking 1/2 pill of percocet before surgery for about 2 weeks, for fibroids pain. Once I had surgery, I was given 2 pills every 4 hrs while in the hospital. That worked for the first 12 hrs. Then I needed a shot of morphine every 2 hrs until I left 32 hrs after surgery. I was sent home with 30 pills. And I truly thought i wouldnt even need to use all of them, that I would be pain free within a few days. WRONG! I ran out on 2/21 and also started bleeding firming the night. I was told to go in and my Dr checked me. He thinks a stitch may have come out. I was a mess I'm his office. Crying and in agony. Once the pain meds were no longer in my system, I had the worst hot flashes in the world! My whole torso felt like it was on fire. And they would last 20 minutes, go away for 10 then come back. I was not prepared for that at all. I cry at the drop of a hat too. So Dr thinks my Overies are not getting blood flow yet and I am going through a temp menopause?? When does that go away?? He gave me refill of pain meds and told me they would also help with the hot flashes...and they did!! I don't have them now, unless I spread out the pain meds to far apart. I go see him tomorrow for my first scheduled followup. I'm scared to ask him for more medicine, but I need them. And I am not joking. He is a man and I'm not sure he really understands the pain. I feel like he thinks I may be just asking for the medicine because I'm addicted...but really? I don't even know ive taken them besides I have no pain. His nurse called me today to say that he normally doesn't give pain meds past a week post-op. What??? That's saying everyone heals the same way and same time. Not possible. To be totally honest, I thought I would be back to normal after a few days, maybe a week, and really couldn't understand why he took me off work for 4 weeks. I had NO IDEA I would still be in this much pain, going through menopause, and unable to do ANYTHING still. Has anyone out there gone through anything close to this? How do I make my Dr understand I'm not a junkie from off the streets looking for a high, but instead a woman in her early 30's who just underwent a major surgery and is healing WAY slower and in WAY more postop pain than anticipated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Re: So many questions, no one to ask :(

Another note, I am having to take 3 pills every 4 hours now.
Unread 02-27-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyamarie1975 View Post
Another note, I am having to take 3 pills every 4 hours now.
This could be a problem as it is more than what was prescribed. If you are having pain intense enough that you are taking more meds than your doctor prescribed, you should visit ER, an Urgent Care facility, or call your doctor to figure out what is going on as you may be dealing with a complication.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2012, 08:29 PM

I am soo sorry you are going through this. Make a list of all your questions and the level of your pain on a scale of 1 - 10 I know they kept asking me that in the hospital, what my pain level was on a scale of 1 - 10.

Take a family member in with you if possible for support. See this time if the dr can understand your pain. Make a chart of where your pain is and wht the level is hopefully this will make it more real for him. If after your appt he still is not understanding would it be possible to go to another dr one who will be willing to listen to you

Please post here to update us on your visit. Good luck to you on it
Unread 02-27-2012, 08:39 PM

I think I have to take more.meds because after awhile, they have less effect. That's what my Dr nurse said today on the phone. The pain is about an 8 on a good day. I was in less pain when I had kidney stones 2 times (that needed surgery both times). So I really don't think that this is from complications. I think its just from having a major organ cut out of my body. And I am not dealing with the pain very well at all!
Unread 02-27-2012, 09:05 PM

Everyone has a different tolerance for pain. So don't feel bad about asking for more meds. Depending on what your taking, sometimes tylenol in between can help (if there is no tylenol in what you have now). If your in severe pain go the ER, no one should have to suffer.
Unread 02-27-2012, 09:33 PM

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Sometimes your body can build up a resistance to a certain kind of pain meds. Maybe your doctor would let you try something else. Do you have a GP you could talk to about this? I definitely think you should find out what the source of your pain is. Doesn't seem like you would be in so much pain if you are healing properly. I had a lot of pain when my bowels backed up but it got much better when they opened up. You are also dealing with the temp. menopause symptoms which complicates things further. Take care and keep us posted about your progress.
Unread 02-27-2012, 11:05 PM

I'm sorry for all the problems your having. Like someone else said maybe try Advil or Aleve in between your pain meds. I don't think 30 pills is enough for this surgery, but that is just my opnion. I was given 30 as well, then had to call my doc for a refill, I know there are some people who think 30 is too much, but we all deal with pain & heal different. Good luck to you.
Unread 02-28-2012, 08:05 AM

I was told most of the pain is inflammation caused by the surgery, so I took prescription dose Aleve (2 regular tabs) every 12 hrs on a schedule. It totally treated my pain down to a minimum. If you aren't taking something like that, ask your Dr if that would be appropriate in your case----it might at least partially help. But I agree you should be checked further for another complication causing so much pain. Sometimes we assume pain is normal when really something is not right. I'd hate to see you suffer when maybe something else is going on that was missed, and that does happen. I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 02-28-2012, 11:48 AM

Update: I seen my Dr just now and let him know I am also having bad pain in left side, plus my back really hurts in the kidney area. I'm going in tomorrow for a renal and abdominal ultrasound. But my Dr. did give me more percocets today...bless his heart! Without them I would be dying. I can't wait until all of this is over... Plus he started me on hormonal patches for the menopause symptoms. I really feel better just in the fact that I felt 'listened' to. What a difference it makes when someone looks you in the eyes and hears what you have to say, how you feel. Thank you ladies, for all your prayers. I'm so glad I found this forum. I felt alone before coming here, and reading all your stories....its been a blessing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register