Well-meaning Advice - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Well-meaning Advice Well-meaning Advice

Unread 01-05-2002, 01:27 AM
Jazz

Mate do not listen to stories like that. I can not get over the DR asking about the hubbys size. I am 15 weeks post from a LAVH/RSO and bladder repair. I can tell you that if i had to do it again I would choose to have LAVH again. It went smoothly and I can honestly say that I had hardly any pain at all, not even a need for a morphine pump. Just a shot of morphine coming out of theatre and then pain killers by mouth and anti-imflamitories. I did have a little backache but that is it. I did have a cath a little longer but am and i am being honest here, I am rare in that. My bladder repair was major and that is why. NO it is NOT common to have a cath for a week, some have it even less than 24 hours.
Listen to the positive ones. You will be fine mate and you will feel a whole new woman after all the recovery process is finished. Hugs and come to chat one day soon. Vicki AKA Smilie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2002, 01:49 AM
Well-meaning Advice

Hi Jaz...I also had LAVH/BSO and can't believe this wild stuff that you've been told. This doctor sounds a like a fruit loop. Oh well, on a positive note, I would recommend this surgery to everyone that needed surgery. I actually traveled with my son from FL to MI at 16 days post. Basically, for me, moving slowly and doing everything at a minimum was the trick. Just nothing physical, including sitting, for too long of a period. On my trip, it was the same way. Laying down in the truck alot, then sit for a bit, stop and walk a little bit and before we knew it, we were there. Of course, my doc did give me the ok since I was doing extremely well. But, I've heard many women on here that were also very pleased with this surgery. Good luck to you. You'll be fine and feel so much better.
Unread 01-05-2002, 08:29 AM
Does size really matter?!? HELL YEAH! lol

Your post was too funny! I wonder if your friend's head can fit through the door way? And what about that Dr. if he DID have that conversation! Too much!!

At my pre-op appointment with my Dr. the only thing mentioned about size was he described how he removed the cervix and how it would actually lengthen my vagina a little bit. He said alot of Drs. just cut below the cervix (which shortens the vagina) and then described how he would be doing mine by removing one side, then flipping the cervix up and out then stitching the top.

He just said that DB would still be happy and enjoy himself. No surveys on size here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2002, 08:47 AM
Well-meaning Advice

Some men love to brag about their private parts, don't they!

I also had a LAVH, no bladder repair. The cath was removed the next morning. My dr is a male and the only talks he had with my dh was letting him know while I was in recovery how the surgery went. Then another time in my room at the castle, he got my dh to help him make me understand the need for taking it easy (I can be a little hard-headed). He NEVER said a word about the size of my dh to either of us. The tissues in the vagina do stretch, just take it easy at first.
Unread 01-05-2002, 02:11 PM
Well-meaning Advice

I mentioned (above) hearing other wierd stories like that, and here's one of them:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...t=knot+husband

Pretty twisted, if you ask me, but best to clear up any strange ideas like this *before* your surgery, just in case your doctor is nuts. Make it clear you will not stand for any such foolishness.

I had a doctor (podiatrist?) when I was about 12-ish who actually suggested that I should have surgery on the bones in my legs to keep me from growing too tall, or else I would have a hard time getting dates. Thank goodness my parents had enough sense to know the guy was bats! (He was about 5' 4", too.)
Unread 01-05-2002, 04:09 PM
Well-meaning Advice

LOL...I just had the opposite thought about what I posted earlier. You said the friend's husband said the dr resized her according to his measurements. Well, I've never heard of them making the vagina bigger, but they can make it shorter when sewing the vaginal cuff. So....that means he's saying he's not overly endowed. Hahahahaha...ask him about that one!

Sorry, couldn't help myself from replying back on that.
Unread 01-05-2002, 08:27 PM
Well-meaning Advice

Just have to add my 2 cents here...

I think this "friend" was full of it. I have never heard of anything so absurd as suturing a woman's vagina during surgery to suit her PARTNER. I seriously doubt that a doctor would EVER have such a conversation, and unless this surgeon is a plastic surgeon whose credentials include gender reassignment, I think this is a crock. I'm sure that this is a "fantasy" conversation that some men might "like" to have with their wife's doctor, but it would be highly inappropriate. In jest, perhaps, but that's it.

As for the catheter, most of us have it overnight (and it's a good thing, very helpful and not uncomfortable most of the time), and unless a woman has some bladder complications or a special reason for it to remain, the catheter "usually" comes out within 24 hours. Speak with your doctor about this if you are worried.

I agree with the others here, unless YOUR doctor gives you this type of information, take it with a HUGE grain of salt.

Hang in there!!

Karen
Unread 01-05-2002, 09:26 PM
Well-meaning Advice

My friend isn't the type of guy who would make things like that up - he's not an ego-type of guy. But I think it's possible that he misunderstood, or misremembered. I think what he was trying to say to me is that the doctor wanted to make sure that he didn't make it too short, so that she'd be hurt, not the other way around. But I don't think that it's a consideration most doctors would make.
Unread 01-06-2002, 07:38 AM
Well-meaning Advice

Thanks Jaz, for clearing that up. I think some of us misunderstood. I did. It sounds like he was trying to be thoughtful of you now that you put it that way.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register