Communicating with family and friends??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Communicating with family and friends??? Communicating with family and friends???

Unread 02-28-2012, 06:56 AM
Communicating with family and friends???

okay, I have a few relatives that routinely "call just to hear your voice" when someone is sick. All of these people have been sick and had surgery and know how important it is to rest. I have asked my mom to tell these people if they wake me up just to "hear my voice" ... they will not like what they hear. I know kind of harsh but good grief, a girl has to rest!

The house phone will be unplugged, right now all they would get is the fax machine anyway. My cell phone will be on vibrate but husband's has to be on loud ring (due to his hearing) in case I need anything or his work calls.

Now, for my question.... did any of you use Twitter to keep family and friends updated on your surgery and recovery? I have people in several states. As of right now I have no idea how to use Twitter and am not sure I can teach them but I thought it might spare my husband from so many phone calls. The other option is an old style phone tree.

(sorry if this is the wrong forum, I could not figure out WHERE this would 'fit')
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Re: Communicating with family and friends???

I am not tellling the vast majority of family and friends until I recover for just this reason! Their good intentions will overwhelm me...I plan on having a few people in the circle and heal on my own without the phone going crazy. If you do twitter or FB just post that you cant accept calls! Good luck.
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:12 AM

I had my DH contact family and close friends after my surgery to update them. Then when I got home I emailed or texted updates when I could. The first few days home I let DH handle phone calls and after he went back to work I shut the ringer off when I wasn't feeling up to phone calls. If anyone was put off by my not answering the phone, too bad!!! Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2012, 07:47 AM

i,also,had hubby answer all calls by those well-meaning family and freinds.
i didnt answer many phone calls except for my mom.i didnt want to talk to anybody.
i wait tables and 1 regular customer called me 5 times in 1 day to check on me.she called so many times it made me nervous and i just let phone ring.she ended up getting mad at me.(i'm a waitress).i have caller id.thank god.she then said she had called me 2 weeks out of surgery and i told her i never received her calls but she's one of those ppl.that will really get on your nerves and i didnt wish to hurt her feelings,she then said she waited 2 weeks to call me,this wasnt true.she called on her phone rampage 4 days after surgery.i then,wanted to tell i knew when she had called but i acted like i just had phone unplugged.she went on to say she had purposely waited til 2 weeks post to call.but once again i wanted to tell her she was wrong on this.
its better if you can get hubby to screen calls or simply unplug telephone.you arent gonna want to chat on phone.but what kills me is fact that she had had a TAH ,so i think she forgot how she felt.good luck to you.maybe forewarn all family and friends you dont want to talk on phone that way there's no feelings hurt.
i wanted to place dynamite to my telephone after so many calls.i found out alot of ppl. are inconsiderate when coming to your communication.good luck and i hope ppl. dont drive you crazy
Unread 02-28-2012, 08:01 AM

I learnt on Tuesday, that I had to have surgery on Thursday and as I'm very active on Twitter and in a forum, I thought, people would wonder, where I am suddenly.
So I dm'ed them on Twitter to inform about the surgery and not being able to come online for a few days.
Some of them sent me cards, others dm'ed back and asked how it was going.
But I really was annoyed by my family and people from my sporting groups, who came over without telling me when during the very first days.
I only wanted to lay low and not talk or run and bring coffee.
Also they phoned a lot during the first two weeks, but nothing since then.
Now, as I feel better, can sit upright and serve my guests, I'm kind of forgotten :-/
Unread 02-28-2012, 09:40 AM

Are these people used to the computer? You can set up on Caring Bridge and refer them to that site for updates and to post comments of support, and it's not as public as Twitter or FB. You might want to check it out, and see if it would meet your needs. I can't post a link but it's easy to locate and use.
Unread 02-28-2012, 09:50 AM

Greyown, I had not thought about that... most are at least able to work ebay and email so they should be able to access the CaringBridge. I will check that out. Thanks!
Unread 02-28-2012, 12:31 PM

I used CaringBridge last year when I had a brain surgery and I have been using it again to keep people updated.

They can leave comments on your guestbook which is good for them and it makes me feel good.

Plus I can update it at 3 a.m. when I can't sleep. Or you can have someone else update it for you. Highly recommend.
Unread 02-28-2012, 01:19 PM

The great thing about Caring Bridge is you can update on YOUR timeline!

You are under no obligation to take phone calls or answer the door. You are recovering from surgery, not "on vacation".

One of your (((sisters))) here (no, not me -- although I love her thinking) took a piece of paper with the words "No visitors and no phone calls" to her pre-op appointment and had her doctor read the words on the paper. That way she could say that the doctor had said, "No visitors and no phone calls" and she wasn't even making it up!
Unread 02-28-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd2491 View Post
One of your (((sisters))) here (no, not me -- although I love her thinking) took a piece of paper with the words "No visitors and no phone calls" to her pre-op appointment and had her doctor read the words on the paper. That way she could say that the doctor had said, "No visitors and no phone calls" and she wasn't even making it up!
LOVE IT!!!!! I think I would like hanging out with THAT sister!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register