New Here - 6 days Post Op, Bowel Movement Issue | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Here - 6 days Post Op, Bowel Movement Issue New Here - 6 days Post Op, Bowel Movement Issue

Unread 02-29-2012, 12:31 PM
New Here - 6 days Post Op, Bowel Movement Issue

Hello HysterSisters,

I have been lurking on this site since before my surgery (1/23/12) and have found it to be a tremendous resource. I had TVH 6 days ago due to adenomyosis, enlarged uterus (230 grams), large fibroids of various kinds, heavy clotting/bleeding.

My recovery is going well except for bowel movements. Although I don't think I'm constipated in the technical sense it just feels "different". I know that's vague but I feel as if I can't bear down, as if my rectum just doesn't respond or work. I am taking my stool softener and am conscious of my fiber intake. But I just feel like I can't get stool from my colon out through my rectum. Has anyone else had this sensation? I'm told they use a heavily weighted speculum and am wondering if this is the reason. I also have lower belly pain if I do attempt to bear down, even though it was a TVH and bearing down has no results. I am hesitant to use a laxative. They scare me. I don't want to get to a point where I have to have a laxative to have a bowel movement. Thank you so much for any info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Re: New Here - 6 days Post Op, Bowel Movement Issue

As long as you are not constipated, the different sensation is most likely due to swelling, inflammation etc which is a normal reaction to surgery. Normal sensation seems to gradually return.
Unread 02-29-2012, 01:58 PM

I think as time goes on it will work it's way out. The bowels is the last thing to wake up. I am 4 day's post op and I have been taking colox. I ate my first home meal and ended up having diarrhea. So now I'm scared to eat anything. Hang in there and call your Dr if your nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2012, 02:18 PM

I am 12 days post-op and the BM issue has by far been the worst for me. I had a small BM on day 4 but then didn't have another one until day 9. I was really backed up although I wasn't eating much at that point except soup, jello, an occasional salad,etc. The initial BM was really solid and very painful but since then I have been pretty regular. I am making sure to take a stool softener and drinking prune juice regularly. I was told definitely not to strain because you could do some damage to your inside stitches. Just try to relax and let it come naturally and you will be fine.

Hope you continue to have a good recovery. HUGS
Unread 02-29-2012, 02:37 PM

Hello new Sister! Don't feel alone, I am 23 days post op TAH and I, too, think the worst part has been the bowel issues. First BM on day 4 extremely painful, then nothing for 6 more days. I have religiously been eating small, well balanced meals, drinking plum juice mixed with 7up (yummy), taking stool softeners and drinking lots of water. Next 2 days of somewhat regular BM's (stool softener definately helped), now today I feel like I am trying to pass a brick through my lower intestine! I thought I was dying, and the pain sensation was accompanied with a gnarly hot flash. Still no BM, ended up taking a prescrition pain pill. I am not sure that anything is going to work at this point, very frustrated!

Good luck! If you find the magic answer, please share.

Speedy recovery to you
Unread 02-29-2012, 04:21 PM

I totally swear by Milk of Magnesia and, after the immediate crisis is over, magnesium supplements with your daily vitamins. Magnesium keeps all those involuntary digestive muscle working, and that is essential whether you have actual constipation - hard stools - or are just 'sluggish' in the digestive area, as I am.

I am over 2 months post-op, and while a lot of things are feeling normal again, there are certain phases of my digestion that simply feel 'different' ... hard to explain, but I am learning that 'straining', 'bearing down', etc. is different from pre-op for me.

I have time of discomfort which signal that I am overdue for a bm. (I still wear my binder because of swelly-belly, and that can exaggerate my sensations pre-bm.)

I don't have pain and don't strain during movements. I eat a lot of fiber so that I can have significant bm's. I am thrilled that I am finally, for the first time in many years, having fairly regular bm's. This is due to my making it a priority with the amount of water I drink, exercise, food choices, etc.

But I still feel that, in my case, it is the sluggishness of my involuntary digestive muscles that was the primary issue for most of my life. I think that the magnesium added to my diet has been the most helpful element, and I am so glad to have it!~

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register