Enlarged Uterus | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Enlarged Uterus Enlarged Uterus

Unread 02-29-2012, 06:33 PM
Enlarged Uterus

I'm having LAVH on Friday morning. I have an enlarged uterus (doc didn't say how enlarged it was) and was wondering how many of you ladies had a enlarged uterus & surgery turned into an abdominal because the uterus was too enlarged to take out LAVH?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Re: Enlarged Uterus

Hi there! Yes, I was supposed to qualify for laproscopy, but my uterus is 18 times it's normal size so I can only have a total abdominal hysterectomy now. I was pretty disappointed to hear that, but I've accepted it over the last couple weeks and am just grateful to be getting it over with soon. Abdominal hysts are fairly common, the only downside is a bigger incision and longer recovery time...but remember that you will feel so much better as time goes on after the surgery! Hope that helps...
Unread 02-29-2012, 08:06 PM

I'm sorry don't qualify for the LAVH anymore. It sounds like you're ready for your surgery. Some ladies say that their uterus is the size of a # week/month pregnancy (like 12 weeks, 18 weeks, etc.). Did your doctor tell you anything like that? I'm going to ask mine at surgery time what he thinks mine was the size is. My approval from the insurance company says LAVH for 250g or less. I don't know how big that is. Good luck on your surgery. God bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2012, 10:12 PM

tn03301970,

If your doctor is offering a LAVH he thinks it's appropriate for you and it can be done. Conversions happen but not very often.

There are other options for a large uterus, not just vaginal. The size of your uterus may make a vaginal hyster difficult but that doesn't leave only a TAH. You may qualify for a TLH (total laparoscopic hyster) or LSH (laparoscopic supracervical hyster). In both procedures the uterus is removed through one of the very small abdominal incisions.

Best wishes Friday!

Unread 03-01-2012, 12:37 AM

tn03301970, I'm so glad you asked this question, because it's been on my mind recently, too. I'm supposed to have a DaVinci on 3/12, and the doctor was talking about taking the entire uterus (I've not decided if I want to try to keep the cervix or not), removing everything vaginally. I've seen the MRI images - my uterus looks like a ginormous "nerds" candy, all lumpy and such - and it's quite large. It's been described as a 20 week pregnancy size. I don't have any children, so I wasn't sure how great a vaginal delivery of the uterus would feel. When I asked my doctor about how everything would be removed if I chose to keep my cervix, he explained that the uterus would be cut into small pieces and removed through the small incision(s). But nonetheless, I was worried that he might get in there and decide it was just not going to work either way and end up doing a large incision. Thank you, Pattypat, for your post - makes me feel more secure in what my doctor stated he'd be able to do. Good luck, tn03301970 and clodgyhoppen, on your upcoming surgeries! You'll both be in my thoughts and prayers!
Unread 03-01-2012, 03:53 AM

I was very surprised to hear when i was in the OR , prepped, dialated etc, for my ablation that my uterus was also too big! It measured totally different from the ultrasound therefore, the device would not deploy. She tried 3 times. With that being said, and after a thorough, lengthy discussion, my surgeon explained to me that i too, must have a TAH. I am greatly disappointed to say the least! I know how hard of a time i had after my c-sections (i had 2) in my recovery, so I am concerned. I guess it is the fear of the unknown for me. The incision part isnt frightening, it is the "ectomy" removal of body parts that has me spooked!
Unread 03-01-2012, 09:26 AM

I haven't had my surgery yet, but I do have an enlarged uterus. It measures 12cm, which is equal to 3 months pregnant. My doctor did a pelvic exam yesterday, and despite never having had a vaginal birth, she feels confident that she'll be able to do a robotic assisted vaginal hysterectomy on me. She explained that they can cut the uterus into smaller pieces to remove it. I have had 3 previous c-sections and so she said there is a risk of needing to go abdominally if she gets in there and finds lots of adhesions. My doctor said the main causes for a vaginal hysterectomy needing to go abdominally is significant adhesions, significant endometriosis, or very large fibroids. My enlarged uterus, which has no fibroids, doesn't concern her at all when it comes to completing a vaginal hysterectomy.
Unread 03-01-2012, 09:35 AM

I had LAVH to remove an enlarged uterus. I gave birth to two kids and although my uterus contained massive mucous and was 2 lb, it was no problem to remove it through vagina.

But the nurse told me later, the first thing I asked after waking up from surgery was, if it was a TAH or a LAVH.
Unread 03-01-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaqueen View Post
I was very surprised to hear when i was in the OR , prepped, dialated etc, for my ablation that my uterus was also too big! It measured totally different from the ultrasound therefore, the device would not deploy. She tried 3 times. With that being said, and after a thorough, lengthy discussion, my surgeon explained to me that i too, must have a TAH. I am greatly disappointed to say the least! I know how hard of a time i had after my c-sections (i had 2) in my recovery, so I am concerned. I guess it is the fear of the unknown for me. The incision part isnt frightening, it is the "ectomy" removal of body parts that has me spooked!
My ablation did not work as well for a enlarged uterus. I have had 3 c-sections, small fibroids on the outside of my uterus and I am having the daVinci on March 16th. However, there is the chance of her switching to an open-abdominal hysterectomy.
Blessings,
J
Unread 03-01-2012, 09:56 AM

I had an enlarged uterus and had a LAVH. My doctor was not concerned at all because I had three previous vaginal deliveries. Also a normal uterus weighs 70 grams and mine was 170 grams so not too much bigger. Good luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register