Enlarged Uterus - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Enlarged Uterus Enlarged Uterus

Unread 03-13-2012, 12:50 AM
Re: Enlarged Uterus

I've never defined my woman-ness by body parts. In fact, only a woman could deal with this surgery and come out on the other side like we do, and that has nothing to do with a uterus. With all this malfunctioning equipment gone, I'm happier, healthier and sexier than ever before. As far as feeling physically different with things removed, I wondered about this too. I did notice a difference in my body. Because my uterus was so large, I noticed a flattening immediately even with swelly belly. I did not feel like I had empty spaces from the missing parts like I thought I would though. My husband says he can tell I am different but in a good way because he doesn't have to hold back to avoid bumping my cervix. Sex and orgasms are spectacular! Pre op, I chose to have my cervix and ovaries removed to eliminate the risk of cancer and further surgery. I'm on HRT and am a happy clam even with fidgeting with my dosing. My DR and I have it just about perfect. I'm sorry to hear that you can't go da Vinci but your DR's concerns are valid and you will do great none the less. As you know already, the TAH ladies will be of great support to you. I'm excited for you to get to the other side and see what it's like to feel great/super/fabulous again. Good luck to you and peaceful thoughts to get you through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2012, 01:23 AM

Hello Sharona!

Ahh what a relief to hear your experience! thank you so very much for sharing that with me! All in all, I havent heard too many negatives at all. I am looking forward to the aftermath in hopes that I will feel great like yourself! I really think when our bodies get to this point, no matter what the age, it really cant get any worse, right?! My surgeon told me that because of my age i am naturally pretty far off from menopause so she will try to save my ovaries. I did tell her if she sees anything though, and I mean anything to go ahead( plus I already signed the consent to do so). With part of my history being fibroids and cysts on one ovary I am kind of hoping she does to avoid later surgery. Again, thank you so much for your response, it truly made my night!
Unread 03-13-2012, 01:09 PM

I definitely can relate to your feelings. I too was extremely worried that I would feel empty or different and I think as women it is only natural that we attach a lot to our bodies in the way we feel emotionally. I can happily say that even though I am only 2 weeks post op that my fears about that are gone. I do not at all have that sensation of emptiness, only in a good way not having the pressure and pain from my enlarged uterus pushing on my bladder, rectum, and back. And today with all the wonderful breakthrough in bioidentical hormones, even if they take your ovaries you will be able to function exactly the same. This is a great outlet for all these questions and concerns you have so keep asking because it will help with the anxiety. I am praying for you and I just know you will be on here post op telling us how great you're doing and encouraging other women who are pre-op. Hang in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn03301970 View Post
I'm having LAVH on Friday morning. I have an enlarged uterus (doc didn't say how enlarged it was) and was wondering how many of you ladies had a enlarged uterus & surgery turned into an abdominal because the uterus was too enlarged to take out LAVH?
I see your surgery was on the 2nd, did you end up having a abdominal or lavh?
Unread 03-13-2012, 03:10 PM

Mine was measuring what they said was the size of being 6 months pregnant. It weighed 316 grams and some of my fibroids were grapefruit size. I had the DaVinci procedure with no problems.
Unread 03-14-2012, 07:03 PM

I had a very large fibroid inside my uterus that filled my abdomen, which last year was at 20 weeks, and now had tripled surprisingly inside! I had a very successful LSH, and have had minimum discomfort. They only took my uterus, since everything else looked fine. Trust your doctor, until they get a look around inside there, only then can they access what will stay and what needs to go. I let my doc know what my concerns were, and she respected them, but if my ovaries or cervix did not look healthy she would have taken them. I was just lucky this time.
Unread 03-14-2012, 11:54 PM

Ninjaqueen, I'll be the voice of one who says that TAH's aren't all that bad. I had a TAH 3 weeks ago. I'm almost afraid to say how good I'm doing--because others have problems--but my TAH was much easier than my 2 c-sections. And I'm no spring chicken now - I'm 55. I've been about 1 or 2 weeks ahead of "normal" in my recovery from this hysterectomy. What do I attribute it to? I'm probably healthier now than I was at 25. We thought it might be cancer so I went on a no-sugar, no-wheat diet for a few weeks before surgery. Nows as good a time as any to get serious about being healthy, right?

The doctor used the same ol' scar as the c-sections, so that part is already less sensitive. I had a lot less pain than my C-sections.

The anesthesia is a lot better now too. And I think some of it has to do with the amount of time you're in surgery. My understanding is that an abdominal is quicker than robotic. The less time you're under, the better. Plus they can see everything and check everything while you're open. My doc was able to inspect my ovaries (I got to keep one!) The da Vince ladies seem to have a lot more gas problems. I've got 2 boxes of unused Gas-X. So there are pros and cons to each method.

I had surgery on a Friday at 2PM, and Sat evening I was doing so good the doc said I could go home. I opted to spend the night to give my DH a bit more time to prepare. We didn't prepare for a 1-night stay with a TAH! I figured I'd be at the castle for 3-5 days, like my c-sections.

As to what's missing on the inside--that is a weird thought. I grieved more before surgery than I have since. I envisioned a big blank space inside me. But having a large uterus removed plus a no-sugar, no-wheat diet, has made my tummy (even when swelly) flatter. And I'm dropping pounds every few days. I'm looking in my daughter's closet for cute clothes I may be able to fit into! Now that makes me feel good about myself, even though I may be missing some internal hardware.

But I'd have to say, if you're not comfortable with the TAH, get a second opinion. In fact, I got three. You will do better if you are active in this whole process, and if you are positive and optimistic about your treatment. Get ALL the knowledge and information and opinions you can, until you're satisfied. I ended up with one of my 2nd opinion doctors. He was more experienced and was willing to work with me to leave an ovary, if at all possible. (He said the process to take out an ovary later on is much less involved).

And I can't finish without saying something about the abdominal binder--it is so, so helpful. It's the constant tug of gravity that seems to cause a lot of the belly pain. The ab binder is like a nice hug. Holds everything nice and snug while it's healing, both inside and out. I struggled to put it on as soon as I could after surgery. I still wear it in the car and sometimes at the end of the day.

Wishing you confidence and contentment with your decisions.

Hugs (but not too tight yet, I'm still healing!)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register