Post-Op Food | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Post-Op Food

OK, ladies. I have a question about what food I should have at home for recuperating. I know there may be tummy issues and would like ideas that are healthy and healing for my body, but are also comforting. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Re: Post-Op Food

Bananas, toast, lots of fluids, protein drinks in case you do not feel like eating.....whatever is your comfort food. Yogurt.
Unread 02-29-2012, 10:30 PM

I ate alot of pudding cups after surgery mostly to take pain meds when needed. You might not be to hungry for a few days, just eat light foods and what sounds good to you at the moment. Be sure to stay hydrated and rest alot. You're going to do great. Being prepared at home helped me alot- cleaned house beforehand, had my comfy clothes ready to go. Everything being in place before surgery will make recovery much easier. Hugs to you sister
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2012, 11:18 PM

Drink a lot of water. Whole grains, fruits, veggies, yogurt etc. Eat what sounds good to you. Try to avoid carbonated drinks.
Unread 02-29-2012, 11:27 PM

I lived on canned pears and apple sauce... It seemed that is all my tummy could handle...
I agree with the drink lots of water... I had an issues with the water tasting different so I drank it with a juice mix in...
Good Luck
Unread 03-01-2012, 12:41 AM

I didn't have much of an appetite, so the best foods for me were, cereal, oatmeal (with ground flax seed and blueberries), or peanut butter toast for breakfast, raw almonds with blueberries and dark chocolate for lunch, then a nice fresh green salad for dinner, with a glass of juice and a piece of fruit (kiwis were awesome for me) added somewhere in the day. Yogurt is good to have around too. And for the days you have a craving get your favorite to have on hand...for me it was popcorn and Smokehouse Cheddar Ruffles or something like that...
Best I can say is have the cupboards full before surgery.
Lots of hugs coming your way!!!
Unread 03-01-2012, 08:41 AM

Thanks Sisters!! Great ideas!
Unread 03-01-2012, 10:03 AM

After my surgery I never had any problems eating whatever I wanted...everyone is different...three days post op I ate a huge bowl if chili (with gas meds for dessert of course lol)...but just in case, I had stocked up on fiber bars, apple sauce and fruit cups...and apple juice lots and lots of apple juice.

I never really had any problems so far with diet, nausea (except the morning after surgery when I had a reaction to percoset) or going to the bathroom...I was really lucky, its nice to be prepared but you may find you don't have any troubles eating whatever you want.
Unread 03-01-2012, 10:29 AM

Had soft and easy foods the first couple days, applesauce, jello, oatmeal... then it was no holds barred eating after that! Had to reign myself in and get rid of all the girl scout cookies lol. One thing I did make sure, after reading some threads on here about UTI's and yeast infections, I had cranberry juice and probiotic yogurt on hand. I have one yogurt every morning with cereal, and mixed the cranberry juice with water in my big sippy jug the first few days after surgery.
Unread 03-01-2012, 10:54 AM

A week out of surgery and I am finding I still cant eat anything with too bold flavor and that I am craving greens a lot. My mom has been cooking for me and the salad is the first thing I want to eat on my plate. Highly unusual for me. Oatmeal and bananas have become staples as the swelly belly is no joke and bm issues abound. Fried foods have had a horrible impact on me, but I suppose this is something of a blessing. What I need to eat to feel good are things that are good for me. Hopefully this helps to make some longterm lifestyle changes

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register