Post-Op Food - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Re: Post-Op Food

Definitely drink plenty of water!

My favorite tender tummy food is instant mashed potatoes. You can mix them with a can of chicken noodle soup if you want to beef them up a little.

Don't be surprised if your appetite comes and goes. One day I would eat normally, the next day I didn't want much. It's okay. Listen to your body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2012, 06:21 PM

BRAT diet if you tummy is upset easily - Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast. I was happy with pudding, yogurt, turkey sandwiches on wheat bread, carrot sticks, grapes, and anything that is easy to make. If you're like me, I was home alone after the first couple of days, and had to be able to get my own breakfast and lunch. Fortunately, I didn't have any complications and only a little swelly-belly, so it really wasn't much trouble to get myself fed. Staying regular post op is very very important and you will thank yourself for drinking plenty of fluids. I kept cran-raspberry juice in the fridge, and drank lots of water and herbal tea (lemon ginger is good for upset tummies, btw).
Unread 03-01-2012, 06:34 PM

The first meal after surgery was a lot of liquidy things like broth, oatmeal, etc., but I was back to regular food immediately after that. Had Chinese food the first night I was home and it was wonderful after a week of (pretty good) hospital food. I ate whatever I wanted, and didn't have a problem thankfully.

Drank a lot of apple juice. At the beginning, I drank water with metamucil, and a lot of water, including seltzer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Post-Op Food

I survived on Whey protein shakes made with soy milk, salad, chicken soup with noodles and my weird craving for half sour pickles. Go FIGURE!!
Unread 03-01-2012, 07:13 PM

I'm thinking a few cartons of Haagen Dazs might an idea too.

Also, spaghetti squash with/ butter or EVOO and a little parm cheese.

I like rice w/butter & salt.

We have a lot of soups and I'm sure that my DH will make sure that I have more than enough fruit.,bananas, grapes, apples & oranges. And I have a tone of teas to keep me happy.I just have to go onto the website and see what's good for healing and immune system and digestion. I even have some of my favorite Vias from Starbucks to have once in a while till I can get there and have a Frappiccuno. yummy

I wish I was having a TAH and ask for a tummy tuck while she's at it. :?….nah I don't think I want all the pain from that too. lol….but it was an idea.
Unread 03-01-2012, 08:09 PM

Frosted mini-wheats, hot flavored green teas, water - all I wanted to do was flush the toxins out of my system. Not saying I loved this but Sunsweet dried plums were really handy to have on hand.
Unread 03-01-2012, 09:18 PM

Be careful with the ice cream - that much dairy could get you constipated. LOL. Perhaps a nice sorbet though? :-)

Anything that makes you feel better, in moderation, will probably be A-OK!
Unread 03-02-2012, 12:58 AM

I found I only wanted little snacks, and it was easiest to have pre-made items in disposable containers. Buy plastic/paper for items that must be transferred to a plate. (Washing dishes is the *last* thing you're interested in, and whoever is helping you isn't into it either!)

Pudding cups, jello cups, applesauce cups, fruit cups, yogurt cups, gummy snacks, chips in little bags, bottle little gatorades, or waters. Frozen items you can put in the microwave. Fruit that requires no prep like; apples, bananas, oranges. Slimfast shakes and Instant Breakfast shakes were great.

Basically go to the store and look for things you could put in a kids lunchbox. When left home alone, you want to make one trip for snacks and have a stash by your chair - not that you're really going to eat it all, or that you won't get up for hours... it helps you relax because you think you won't have to! LOL
Unread 03-02-2012, 02:04 AM

I made sure I had silken tofu to make some yummy berry smoothies :-)
vanilla soya milk, frozen berries, banana, honey...zap in the mixer and yummo instant lunch...I also found soup good and make sure you keep up the fibre for your "bowel" ouch movement...prunes, bran, grains etc...and hopefully you'll get some dinners bought over by family and friends
Unread 03-02-2012, 04:30 AM

Lots of liquids, my husband had freshly squeeze grapefruit for me to drink . My mom made oatmeal and cream of wheat for breakfast, and my husband made my lunch and dinner . He made sure I had vegetables in my meals and fruits to snack on, his meals were light not heavy so that made me sleep right away without feeling too full he also cook turkey patties with fresh vegetables like spinach and peas, chicken with spinach . He was wonderful during my recovery and he is still is . Love him a lot !!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register