Am I crazy to pass up TLH for TAH and tummy tuck? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I crazy to pass up TLH for TAH and tummy tuck? Am I crazy to pass up TLH for TAH and tummy tuck?

Unread 02-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Am I crazy to pass up TLH for TAH and tummy tuck?

Hi! I am facing a total H either laproscopic or abdominal, plus an umbilivpcal hernia. I found a surgeon qualified to do the H laproscopically and bring in another general surgeon to do the hernia repair. My dear MIL put the bug in my ear about a tummy tuck. Met with a PS yesterday who can fix the hernia and do a tummy tuck. Am i crazy if i forego the shorter surgery and recovery for tt?
Btw i have bad fibroids and bleeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Re: Am I crazy to pass up TLH for TAH and tummy tuck?

If you were planning on doing one, I would do it. You can heal all at once. I would just be worried about all those surgeries in one shot. Could it cause complications?
Unread 03-01-2012, 09:33 AM

I have a very yucky, saggy tummy over lap from 3 back to back pregnancies and c-sections. My closest friend told me that I should do a tummy tuck with my hysterectomy, but to me, having a flatter tummy just isn't worth the worse recovery and additional expense. This is a very personal decision and you simply have to way the cost, risks, and benefits and decide what works for you. After having my c-sections I always said I'd never do a tummy tuck because the incision hurt so bad from my c-sections. It would be nice to have a flatter tummy though. If you're up for the longer recovery and have ample help to get you through, then getting the tummy tuck may be a good choice for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2012, 09:52 AM

From someone who had TAH (I'm five weeks post op) I can honestly say the incision isn't all that bad...if you want the tummy tuck, go for it...any pain I've felt from my hysterectomy has not been from my incision...its inside, which needs time to heal despite the "entry" method...plus there are benefits to AH...mine were that my doc could take a good look around and make sure everything was OK...despite advances in technology, nothing beats an actual human sewing your internal stitches, they are generally tighter and heal cleaner (which also depends on the individual and the surgeon)...I didn't have any staples or stiches externally, only internal stiches and some steri-strips that came off around week two...I did not have a tummy tuck but I did have a cyst removed from my side that required a seperate incision, I'm glad I did them at the same time.

No two people have the same experience even when they have the same exact surgery but an AH isn't near as scary as its made out to be...after reading some statistics in complications from the less invasive methods and knowing the ease of my surgery and recovery, I wouldn't have chosen any other method.
Unread 03-01-2012, 10:06 AM

Chkyplod, this is so helpful, thank you! Can you point me toward the studies you considered regarding the less invasive methods?
Unread 03-01-2012, 09:01 PM

I asked my gyn and then surgeon if I could do both hyst and tummy tuck and both said they would not do both. Hyst too major of a surgery. I understand now they are both conservative...be sure you do your research about your surgeons and that your health is not being put at risk. Good luck!
Unread 03-03-2012, 05:50 PM

I saw a post a couple of months ago about this. I think it was being offered in Vancouver. I can tell you that, had it been an option, I would have had it done in a heartbeat. I had the abdominal incision, and like chkyplod, I had no problems with healing. The internal work is all the same, and that's where the most of the healing pain was located.
Unread 03-03-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chkyplod View Post
From someone who had TAH (I'm five weeks post op) I can honestly say the incision isn't all that bad...if you want the tummy tuck, go for it...any pain I've felt from my hysterectomy has not been from my incision...its inside, which needs time to heal despite the "entry" method...plus there are benefits to AH...mine were that my doc could take a good look around and make sure everything was OK...despite advances in technology, nothing beats an actual human sewing your internal stitches, they are generally tighter and heal cleaner (which also depends on the individual and the surgeon)...I didn't have any staples or stiches externally, only internal stiches and some steri-strips that came off around week two...I did not have a tummy tuck but I did have a cyst removed from my side that required a seperate incision, I'm glad I did them at the same time.

No two people have the same experience even when they have the same exact surgery but an AH isn't near as scary as its made out to be...after reading some statistics in complications from the less invasive methods and knowing the ease of my surgery and recovery, I wouldn't have chosen any other method.
I just want to say ditto to this. This woman's experience and perspective and recommendation directly mirrors my own! Best of luck on the surgery or surgeries.
Unread 03-03-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carole Anne View Post
The internal work is all the same, and that's where the most of the healing pain was located.
As an FYI, if a tummy tuck is done along with a hysterectomy there is way more healing that needs to be done than if only the uterus is removed. A tummy tuck can actually be pretty painful, too.

For more information about a hysterectomy and tummy tuck, we do have a sub-forum in the Clubhouse: Tummy Tuck Too

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register